PDA

View Full Version : VILLAGE - or forum - IDIOT >>> ME

d14vd_h
Wednesday 20th April 2005, 18:29
right guys im getting boring but this is about deilled airbox cold air intakes!?

popped the hood on the 940 and had a look, basically the filter box is jammed in tight with the stock feed running just in front of the radiator throught the filter box and into the engine
but... it has a secondary pipe that is connected to the airbox and cold air feed by a Y piece that leads to silver ducting which stretches all the round to the other side of the engine!?!?
i have no idea what this doees????
i have limited space so i was goin to disconect this silver tube from the Y piece and run it to the grille giving it direct cold air
then use the spare hole in the Y piece to run another cold air feed into the box.
but i dont want to do this without knowing the purpose of the big silver tube!!!
or
i could drill a hole in the back side of the box and run a seperate cold air feed from here.

im so simple guys and 'big silver tube' shows my level
help me so i dont have to keep boring u!?!!?
ps this is the best photo i have at mo sorry!
tried best to describe ps not my car

Pedro Fandango
Wednesday 20th April 2005, 19:59
sounds to me like your "big silver tube" is getting hot air from around the exhaust manifold area to stop the fuel freezing in the winter, nothing stopping you replacing it with another cold feed at all but it may give you problems when the weather does get cold (i've had happen on me when i done the same trick on my old Jeep)

d14vd_h
Wednesday 20th April 2005, 20:08
sounds to me like your "big silver tube" is getting hot air from around the exhaust manifold area to stop the fuel freezing in the winter, nothing stopping you replacing it with another cold feed at all but it may give you problems when the weather does get cold (i've had happen on me when i done the same trick on my old Jeep)

aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :slap:
your right pedro my mechanic told me that once i totally forgot,
think i'l leave it in place and justt add another cold air feed round the back side
i dont get how adding another cold air feed adds to the noise when the stock one doesnt?

Pedro Fandango
Wednesday 20th April 2005, 20:11
nothing stopping you taking it off in the in summer & running a cold air pipe to the Y piece where it joins, then just but it back in the winter.

JackT5
Wednesday 20th April 2005, 22:41
If i remember from my old 240, which was a similar layout, the feed from the exhaust manifold was opened and closed by a thermostatic flap inside the box?. So putting another cold feed in it's place might not work.

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 20th April 2005, 23:09
Jack is right. I had exactly the same thing. The junction has a thermostatic flap in it. The feed sits under the exhaust manifold and draws air from around the exhaust until the engine gets up to temp.

TangoDeltaSierra3
Thursday 21st April 2005, 00:23
Just buy a faster car! :thread:

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 21st April 2005, 02:24
Each to their own! LOL

craig
Thursday 21st April 2005, 22:04
drop a t5 lump in it and be done with it , then the last thing going through your mind will be a silver pipe!!!!

d14vd_h
Thursday 21st April 2005, 22:22
drop a t5 lump in it and be done with it , then the last thing going through your mind will be a silver pipe!!!!

lol!!
believe it or not the thought crossed my mind t5 is white block where as mines is 4 red block so transmission etc all wrong, anyway the 2.3fpt with volvo turbo accessory kit could take a t5 :jaw:

still slow tangosierradelta3? - r ya still readin the thread u think sucks :remybussi