PDA

View Full Version : Oil lights

pzorb
Wednesday 20th April 2005, 17:01
The only time I ever see my oil light come on ('96 855 T5 166K) is when I'm really really going for it off standstill and sometimes in 2nd up a hill :B_steerin. It blips on momentarily - 2 secs max - and I was wondering whether I've got something wrong :slap: , or whether it's just the oil in the sump being pushed back due to the rocketlike acc, causing the sensor to misread :
(excuse the crap ASCII art, but imho there should be more ASCII art car maintainance resources :haha: ;))

-----------force------------->
<----------motion------------
sensor
| || __.-._.-~`|
| || __.-._.-._ |
| \/ __.-._.-._ oil |
\.-..-..-.___________________________/ <- sump

So the oil is at the back, and the sensor isn't dipping in it anymore.

This has only ever happened since i've had a 280bhp map, and the launch from the lights is impressively improved.

Reassure me it's all ok!!!!!

Cheers
Martin

Goof
Wednesday 20th April 2005, 17:28
Have you got enough oil?
My sensor either doesn't or even when past the bottom mark still doesn't indicate low oil!

pzorb
Wednesday 20th April 2005, 17:40
It's about 70% up in the area on the dipstick. FYI it's on millersoil 5w40 fully synth. And I did an oil change about 200 miles ago and it's still doing it :help:

To be fair I've never actually wanted to test out whether the oil light functions as it should - in much the same way I won't be testing out the airbags or SIPS either!! :hbomb: (at least not on purpose!)

Martin

spesh
Wednesday 20th April 2005, 18:06
Seem strange for the oil light to come on if there is oil reading on the dipstick, on my 850 T5 it has a baffeled sump(know this from when I stripped it down), which pevents oil goin from one end to the other on hard pick up, and goin round bends pulling a G!!! I'd pull the sensor out and give it a clean!!
best of luck anyway

andi t5
Wednesday 20th April 2005, 18:09
the oil light is a low pressure warning not a oil level warning it would have to be seriously low for it to affect oil pressure plus the sump is baffled to prevent surge starving the feed line under such conditions if the low pressure light is coming on it either could be a indication problem or actual low pressure(bad news) which could be worn pump, worn mains, big ends, you need to rig a gauge up and check it out

pzorb
Monday 2nd May 2005, 17:50
It's still happening :slap:

Anyone got any more thoughts?
How would i go about verifying the pressure?

Cheers!

andi t5
Monday 2nd May 2005, 18:37
the only way to check your oil pressure is to remove the pressure sender and install a pressure gauge and run the motor and check its in limits