PDA

View Full Version : Knocking from engine

Dan850T5
Tuesday 22nd July 2008, 23:00
Hi all,

My car has beveloped a knocking!! sounds like a real angry lifter or something, which makes me think could oil cause this?

I was using castrol magnatec but have recently switched to mobil stuffs, both were 10 w 40 part synthetic.

Can anyone advise?

Cheers, Dan

CONDYBOY
Tuesday 22nd July 2008, 23:04
I'd personally stick with castrol, it's a better oil imo. if it was a lifter it would be a tappety noise is this what youve got or is it knocking/

Dan850T5
Tuesday 22nd July 2008, 23:11
It's more of a knocking to be honest, it's loudest from by the passenger wing

nobananas
Tuesday 22nd July 2008, 23:15
Bit odd it being loudest from the gearbox side, does it change pitch/go away when you press the clutch ?

Dan850T5
Tuesday 22nd July 2008, 23:37
No not really mate, it does increase in speed when you press the accelerator which is what my old vectra did but that was tappets

nobananas
Wednesday 23rd July 2008, 00:01
Might be worth going back to Castrol just to rule it out. What I sometimes do to locate knocking noises or whirring, bearing type noises is use a long screwdriver or similar as a stethescope (spelling, sorry !), place the end on various areas of the engine and press the other end to your ear and you may be able to pinpoint it, just be careful near any of the pulleys etc that you don't slip and spear yourself !

Dan850T5
Wednesday 23rd July 2008, 17:35
Might be worth going back to Castrol just to rule it out. What I sometimes do to locate knocking noises or whirring, bearing type noises is use a long screwdriver or similar as a stethescope (spelling, sorry !), place the end on various areas of the engine and press the other end to your ear and you may be able to pinpoint it, just be careful near any of the pulleys etc that you don't slip and spear yourself !

Yeah will go back to Castrol i reckon.

It's tempramental at the moment.

Good idea with the screwdriver, knowing my luck id slip and jam it in a pulley and rip my ear off!