PDA

View Full Version : Respray

C70
Tuesday 22nd July 2008, 15:22
Used to own a Ford Probe and a member over there has quoted £400 same colour or £500 diferent colour to respray my V70

Theres a few bits need touching up, amounting to about £280 anyway so thought it may be good idea?

Now he's good on probes, but not sure about letting him loose on the V70 - thoughts?

abdul
Tuesday 22nd July 2008, 15:51
is that for the whole car

C70
Tuesday 22nd July 2008, 15:52
Yep it was, inc door shuts. Engine bay ob not, as you'd need to lift the engine

abdul
Tuesday 22nd July 2008, 15:57
thats cheap

alan
Tuesday 22nd July 2008, 17:16
very cheap, if he is good on a probe the volvo should be no problem. less curves!

alan

Tomcat
Tuesday 22nd July 2008, 17:43
That's too cheap to be any good.

C70
Tuesday 22nd July 2008, 17:52
Did wonder that

Tomcat
Tuesday 22nd July 2008, 17:56
Does he do this full time or in his spare time?, does he do it from home?.

alan
Tuesday 22nd July 2008, 17:59
i would charge about 500, if his other work is good then i see no reason it wont be,

just my opinion!lol

alan

C70
Tuesday 22nd July 2008, 18:02
must admit the pics look good, dont have any to hand, and he has done an FTO also

FatLadZ
Tuesday 22nd July 2008, 18:16
ask to see a car hes painted in the flesh
as materials will come to £250+

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 22nd July 2008, 22:03
Premises are important too - paint both or clean workshop is essential IMHO. Low bake oven is good too.

Tomcat
Tuesday 22nd July 2008, 22:13
A low bake oven is good...but not essential with todays 2k paints, all it does is speed up drying time. Provided his place is spotless it won't make any difference.

nobananas
Tuesday 22nd July 2008, 22:38
That is very cheap, there is a hell of a lot of labour involved in getting a car ready for a complete respray as well as the cost of the paint and materials themselves. The chap I use has charged me that sort of money to respray the bootlid and the door bottoms before, but the finish and quality have always been spot on.

CONDYBOY
Tuesday 22nd July 2008, 23:10
cost me £650 to have the bonnet, wings, a pillar and door redone through the stealer recomended bodyshop. think they saw me coming now I've read this.:(

Tomcat
Tuesday 22nd July 2008, 23:32
No, that's about right. A good respray is usually a couple of grand for a colour change at any rate. As already mentioned there's a hell of a lot of prep work involved in a respray, couple that with the cost of materials and other overheads.

joesc70
Friday 25th July 2008, 15:11
that is scarily cheap look in person

look for little lumps in the paintwork (dirt) these if the body shop is doing the job right, should all be polished out.

If polishing has been done (it will of) look for very small patches of haze, their very very faint and you need direct light to see them, but this is where the lacquer has been polished threw.

look for color matches between panels that have and haven't been sprayed.

Look for colour match, colour depth, any paint defects and of course orange peal and buffer trails.
if having the rear 1/4 done, ask them to do the roof pillar as well, you don't really want a blow in (where the lacquer has been blended out with thinners) because no matter how s*it hot your sprayer is, you always be able to see that fadeout ever so slightly.

freaky fingers
Friday 25th July 2008, 16:13
cheap? hamerite's never cost that much before???:smirk:

as before chap ask for references and not from just a few months preferable a year or so old as well, example does it last??

Porcine_Aviator
Friday 25th July 2008, 16:54
It's not a full respray, and someone may have mentioned them before, but I had my local Chips Away respray the front of my 850 T5 a couple of months ago. Came to the house got a set of heaters out and a canopy. Matched and sprayed the front and even did the rubbing strip, total cost £88 and it looks really good.

So if you have a scratch, stone chip or even, like me paint lifting and some scrapes on the front of your pride and joy, they are well worth a look.

http://www.chips-away.co.uk/