PDA

View Full Version : i have bought a new headunit...off ebay

y2blade
Monday 21st July 2008, 20:22
this is the one
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b21/y2blade/misc%20pics/cdm7874_main.jpg

i would usually buy SONY but this came along as a complete bundle to fit straight into my 850 T5 so i took a punt and went for it

ALPINE are ok arnt they???

this is the bundle as i bought it
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b21/y2blade/misc%20pics/d46a_1.jpg

it should arrive with me on weds so i'll fit it straight in then!!!

i feel like a kid waiting for christmas :D i know it's not all that flash but it's alot better than the one in the car at the moment :o

t5 stealth
Monday 21st July 2008, 22:12
nothin wrong with alpine mate,
1 of the top names in car audio,
good quality with good sound.

y2blade
Wednesday 23rd July 2008, 07:11
nothin wrong with alpine mate,
1 of the top names in car audio,
good quality with good sound.

that's good to know :)

it should be with me today so hopefully drop it straight in tonight afterwork :cool:

bradley
Wednesday 23rd July 2008, 18:49
Agreed, i preferred my alpine unit to my old kenwood, i noticed it more in sound quality (which is important!)

y2blade
Wednesday 23rd July 2008, 19:17
:( it didnt arrive today :( fingers crossed for tomorrow

t5 stealth
Wednesday 23rd July 2008, 21:12
:( it didnt arrive today :( fingers crossed for tomorrow

lol it must be killing u having to wait lol.

Agreed, i preferred my alpine unit to my old kenwood, i noticed it more in sound quality (which is important!) ..

i personally prefer the kenwood stuff but i must agree the alpine do have the edge in refinement,kenwood seem a bit better on the bass bits lol

y2blade
Wednesday 23rd July 2008, 21:47
lol it must be killing u having to wait lol.

you're not wrong :( i have whiped the double din cassette player out so just a big hole in the center console waiting for the parcel to arrive :D

pangster
Wednesday 23rd July 2008, 22:04
you're not wrong :( i have whiped the double din cassette player out so just a big hole in the center console waiting for the parcel to arrive :D

at least you're not having to wait 3 weeks!!!

that's how long i've got to wait for my new wheels! lol!...

get some pics up when you get it installed! :)

y2blade
Wednesday 23rd July 2008, 22:13
at least you're not having to wait 3 weeks!!!

that's how long i've got to wait for my new wheels! lol!...

get some pics up when you get it installed! :)

3 weeks!!!!! not good :( must be dragging by!!!!

i will take some pics as soon as it's in the car :)

also i'll prob need some replacement door speakers but i'll start a seperate thread for those once the headunit is fitted

cheers

pangster
Wednesday 23rd July 2008, 22:17
3 weeks!!!!! not good :( must be dragging by!!!!

i will take some pics as soon as it's in the car :)

also i'll prob need some replacement door speakers but i'll start a seperate thread for those once the headunit is fitted

cheers

lol! - yep, i'm not the worlds most patient person.. :)

good luck with the install!

ken10
Thursday 24th July 2008, 05:57
I've started a new thread on 850 replacement door speakers ahead of "y2blade". Appreciate recommendations on which speakers I should purchase.

y2blade
Thursday 24th July 2008, 13:20
I've started a new thread on 850 replacement door speakers ahead of "y2blade". Appreciate recommendations on which speakers I should purchase.

cheers mate :D

y2blade
Thursday 24th July 2008, 13:27
i'm getting busy on here during my lunchbreak http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/ 13cm for the doors but dunno what i'm looking at tbh ...will go for alpine so its all matched

y2blade
Thursday 24th July 2008, 18:41
:D arrived today and i've already fitted it and everything works as it should, sounds pretty good to on std speekers but will be changing them very soon :D

pic's to follow

y2blade
Thursday 24th July 2008, 20:48
all fitted and very happy...not bad for £40 ...thank you EBAY
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b21/y2blade/misc%20pics/Image609.jpg

pangster
Thursday 24th July 2008, 21:28
all fitted and very happy...not bad for £40 ...thank you EBAY
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b21/y2blade/misc%20pics/Image609.jpg

:worship::funkybana:eclipsee_:B_thumb:

very cool! :)

t5 stealth
Thursday 24th July 2008, 21:54
iv got alpine 3 ways in mine.....bloody loud now,
with sub in boot........
lol

joesc70
Thursday 24th July 2008, 23:16
gd choice with alpine much better than sony
as for speakers gho for 13 cm componants much better than singles
installed some 5.25 alpines into my mates vectra other day sound £££££££ amazing specially with a bit of dynamat behind them
http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/5770.html

can get them under a tonne if look around this was first link out the hat

y2blade
Thursday 24th July 2008, 23:54
gd choice with alpine much better than sony
as for speakers gho for 13 cm componants much better than singles
installed some 5.25 alpines into my mates vectra other day sound £££££££ amazing specially with a bit of dynamat behind them
http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/5770.html

can get them under a tonne if look around this was first link out the hat

thanks :) i'll prob buy them from these guys as i've used them alot in the past
http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/default.htm

ken10
Friday 25th July 2008, 06:36
I don't know much about speakers. Could someone please enlighten me on the difference between component speakers and singles? .... as mentioned by Joesc70.

Is there a particular brand of 5.25" speakers with the same mounting holes as the original Volvo speakers on the doors? I'd like to avoid drilling in new holes if possible. Thanks!

joesc70
Friday 25th July 2008, 11:29
right componants vs coaxials thisl be a long one
First a few definitions. A component (sometimes called separate) speaker system consists of multiple separate speaker components. Typically this will be a 4"-6.5" woofer with a 1" tweeter and a an external passive crossover. A coaxial speaker is a similar woofer with a tweeter either suspended on a bridge above the woofer or on a pole that extends through the middle of the woofer. The crossover is typically only a simple capacitor in-line with the tweeter though higher grade coaxials will have outboard crossovers.

Generally component speakers are better than coaxial speakers but that's a manufacturer's decision. It's cheaper to make a coaxial speaker with inferior components than it is to make a cheap component set. Coaxial designs have the advantage of the tweeter and the woofer being mounted very close together (coincident, hence the name coaxial (coincident axes)) which makes all of the sounds come from one point.

Imagine that you're listening to a drum solo. Because the woofer and tweeter are mounted on the same axis, the drum set will sound correct (at least location wise). Now imagine a component set where the installer mounted the woofer in the door and the tweeter in the A-pillar (the piece between the windshield and the front door). Now it's more likely that the snare drum will appear much lower in the vehicle than the cymbal. This can be overcome by mounting the woofer and the tweeter much closer together. The higher quality coaxial speakers are actually component sets where the tweeter has been suspended over the woofer such as in many MB Quart, Boston Acoustics speakers

The bottom line is that you get what you pay for. You can't really compare a £60 coaxial speaker with a £200 component set. However you can compare a £250 coaxial with a £300 component set. The most important things are:

1. Does it sound good to you
2. Does it fit your vehicle
3. Does it fit your budget

as for mounting holes sometimes this is hit and miss
safest bet is to use collars like

hope this is some help to you

y2blade
Friday 25th July 2008, 21:56
thanks for the speaker info

i must say it sounds pretty good on the std speakers but yeah i will be replacing both front and rear door ones pretty soon :)

i suppose i better start reading up and see whats good and whats not!?!?

joesc70
Saturday 26th July 2008, 00:22
ive got some boston acoustics for sale in classified ;)
alpine
jl audio
pioneer
mb qaurt
all make great speakers

ken10
Monday 28th July 2008, 06:28
Thanks joesc70 - your thread on components and co-axial speakers was great. Glad to say that i have been thoroughly enlightened!

Is it worth investing in 3-way co-axial speakers instead of a 2-way co-axials? Is there a significant improvement sound quality wise?

joesc70
Tuesday 29th July 2008, 20:13
yep its worth it price differance isnt rthat major not many companies sell 2 ways anymore just not practical

gtiteen
Wednesday 30th July 2008, 00:08
I've got that headunit in my subaru at the moment. If im honest not got on with it too well, its having trouble with alot of cd's at the moment. Sound quality is good though. Waiting on an ISO so i can git my new sony one:
http://www.bartex-caraudio.com.pl/images/_2005/Sony2005/RadioodtwCD/cdxm8800.jpg

Just need to make up some 6x9 mounts now so I can put them in and will have a fairly decent sound system. Got that headunit so i can attach my ipod to the aux in on the rear, going to drill a small hole in the tray underneath to feed wire through.

Dave

y2blade
Wednesday 30th July 2008, 07:53
oooooo i like that

joesc70
Wednesday 30th July 2008, 21:23
I've got that headunit in my subaru at the moment. If im honest not got on with it too well, its having trouble with alot of cd's at the moment. Sound quality is good though. Waiting on an ISO so i can git my new sony one:
http://www.bartex-caraudio.com.pl/images/_2005/Sony2005/RadioodtwCD/cdxm8800.jpg

Just need to make up some 6x9 mounts now so I can put them in and will have a fairly decent sound system. Got that headunit so i can attach my ipod to the aux in on the rear, going to drill a small hole in the tray underneath to feed wire through.

Dave
personally never got on with sony units just my 2p
as for 6x9s
scrap them
in short if you where seing a band live would you stand with your back to the stage gt a decent front setup

saf1972
Friday 19th September 2008, 18:00

Dave

Take it you have the band expander to recv englisgh radio channels?

I had this unit and could not get on with it, gave the thing away in the end..

thebadger
Friday 19th September 2008, 22:20
seen a new jobbie you push your ipod into like an old cassette deck!

whoever thought this up is either mad or a genius!

Haven't decided yet! May scratch an ipod to bits.

hmmm.