PDA

View Full Version : 7 seat option legal or illegal ?????????????

cameron
Monday 21st July 2008, 20:12
As above,

I got pulled the other day with my lad in the boot on the 7 seat conversion and the copper said they were illegal!

True or False ?

miltski
Monday 21st July 2008, 20:18
what did he do, and why did he say it was illegal?
bearing in mind volvo did extensive crash testing etc and cars ae sold in the uk and europe with these as options, eg the merc as well as the volvo..

cameron
Monday 21st July 2008, 20:21
what did he do, and why did he say it was illegal?
bearing in mind volvo did extensive crash testing etc and cars ae sold in the uk and europe with these as options, eg the merc as well as the volvo..

My lad didnt do anything, he was waving at the police, then he pulled us over! I know the police are only doing their jobs but some get a badge and the power goes to their heads!

nobananas
Monday 21st July 2008, 20:22
As long as there are seatbelts for each seat and they are worn then afaik they are perfectly legal.

cameron
Monday 21st July 2008, 20:24
As long as there are seatbelts for each seat and they are worn then afaik they are perfectly legal.

Yeah thats what i thought! the seat belts are there and they were being used, plus the car is insured as a 7 seater, surely the insurance would have said something????/

freaky fingers
Monday 21st July 2008, 20:29
Plod was being a kok

No vehicle manufacturer would sell these as a factory fit optional extra from new or as an aftermarket add on it they weren't legal.

Volvo more than most sell on safety and the 7 seater conversion is totally legal if fitted and used correctly.

if stopped again ask him what act do they contravene and did he know this was a fit from new factory option?

g-wagon
Monday 21st July 2008, 23:35
Then kick him in the nads for wasting your time.

LesRED850R
Tuesday 22nd July 2008, 00:30
After that when he bends over in pain , your knee could be in the way of his head......YOU SHOULD HAVE HUS PLOD NUMBER AND REPORT HIM !!!

Rufe
Tuesday 22nd July 2008, 10:32
definitely not illegal.

They have full EU approval for children between 15-36 kg (33-79 lbs) and max height 140 cm (55 in) each.

Cubes
Tuesday 22nd July 2008, 10:43
You should have given your little boy one of those play steering wheels. Make the cop think he was about to have a head on collision. Laugh as he swerves into a bus shelter laiden with OAP's...!

I shouldn't say that really...

LesRED850R
Tuesday 22nd July 2008, 13:01
Less burden on your taxes............

cookie
Tuesday 22nd July 2008, 13:28
This was discussed prior to forum crashing, and Volvo UK would not commit to a descion in regards to the seats, with the implementaion of the child seat laws.

When the new rules were implemented I contacted Volvo, RoSPA and the listed contact on website regarding the new rules, none would commit as to where the Law stood, in regards to them

Basic case is Seats are designed and approved for use as Rufe has stated

They have full EU approval for children between 15-36 kg (33-79 lbs) and max height 140 cm (55 in) each.

However - there are 2 sticky points

1. is the fact they are rearward facing (the new rules only specified rearwards facing seats for under 3's, aproval on Volvo seats are for over 3)
2. they are designed not to be used with booster seats (all children under age 12/135cm must be in a child seat approved to whatever the new approval number is

I have found small booster seat, and head rests right up fit fine, and I've never been stoppped.

cameron
Tuesday 22nd July 2008, 16:16
definitely not illegal.

Thanks RUFE i'll use that if he pulls me again!

Everyone else......... VERY FUNNY comments, lightened the load a bit, Cheers.

Tiny 12
Tuesday 22nd July 2008, 16:39
Did you get stung for anything?? or just a slap on the wrists??

cameron
Tuesday 22nd July 2008, 16:47
Did you get stung for anything?? or just a slap on the wrists??

Eh No Actually !!!!!!

After i argued the fact that the seats were in the car when i bought it he said he wasnt too sure wether it was illegal or not ( Rookie copper ) must have only been about 23-24yrs old, argue with them and they go too sh*t!

Tiny 12
Tuesday 22nd July 2008, 17:00
Sounds like he was board!!

I had a tug the other day in my 854 for “driving quick”...I didn’t think I was so I said well I didn’t look to be doing that much more than 30...he came back with “well my Speedo is calibrated exactly”....so I said...”yea so is mine” and showed him the calibration company sticker on it(some place in Nottingham!), then ran through my particulars asked to look in the boot poked through my mx bag and gave me Stick for being borne in Australia and playing League.........£££££!!!! as usual I was as polite and helpful as possible

cameron
Tuesday 22nd July 2008, 17:08
Sounds like he was board!!

I had a tug the other day in my 854 for “driving quick”...I didn’t think I was so I said well I didn’t look to be doing that much more than 30...he came back with “well my Speedo is calibrated exactly”....so I said...”yea so is mine” and showed him the calibration company sticker on it(some place in Nottingham!), then ran through my particulars asked to look in the boot poked through my mx bag and gave me Stick for being borne in Australia and playing League.........£££££!!!! as usual I was as polite and helpful as possible

Good man i too play League!

LesRED850R
Tuesday 22nd July 2008, 23:45
Should have mentioned that the plod in Aussie get to drive great big 6.0 litre V8 SS Commodores , what was he driving ? Poor boy....

cameron
Wednesday 23rd July 2008, 19:46
Should have mentioned that the plod in Aussie get to drive great big 6.0 litre V8 SS Commodores , what was he driving ? Poor boy....

He was in a ford fiesta, probably a 1.4i, just as well im a good boy and pulled over or he would have had a hard time catchin me LOL.

CONDYBOY
Wednesday 23rd July 2008, 23:58
AFAIK these seats are okay as long as properly installed with seatbelts worn and used in accordance with manufacturers instructions. Copper was a plonker. you should get your wife pregnant and tell her to piss in his helmet!!

Tiny 12
Thursday 24th July 2008, 15:11
Good man i too play League!

I would hope so in the heart lad up there!! who do you play for?

Loadsamiles
Thursday 24th July 2008, 18:41
He was in a ford fiesta, probably a 1.4i, just as well im a good boy and pulled over or he would have had a hard time catchin me LOL.

In which case his speedo will NOT have been calibrated.

Probably why you showing him that yours was shut him up.

As for the seat incident. Copper probably assumed that the kids were "in the boot" and didn't notice the seats till he pulled you. Many coppers WILL NOT admit they made a mistake, it's just the way some are. They eventualy decide to tick you off, even though no offence has been commited.

I recently had an officer from the met anti terrorist unit call a full armed stop on me (But by the time they got there I'd already pulled over for fuel) because my car looked like a police car. Not wanting to be too embarrased he (and his collegues) tried everything to get some sort of offence Even trying to do me for a small nick in the rim protector on my tyres, till I pointed out to them that the rim protector was not technically the sidewall. In the end they had to give up and admit that no offence had been comitted.
At one point they were trying to tell me it was illegal to drive an ex-police car.
The funny bit was when the traffic lad told the anti terrorist plod that "it doesn't look like one of ours because we don't use Volvos."

The point being that if they make an obsevation error you'll find that 9 times out of 10 they won't admit it.

And they wonder why the public don't trust them.

Okete
Thursday 24th July 2008, 18:51
Joules,

I should imagine that is exactly what happened and why Cameron got fed a load of tosh!!

cameron
Friday 25th July 2008, 16:01
I would hope so in the heart lad up there!! who do you play for?

Just a local amatuer team, called HOLLINWOOD ARLFC. we are in D4 of the Pennine League.

Tiny 12
Friday 25th July 2008, 16:18
Just a local amatuer team, called HOLLINWOOD ARLFC. we are in D4 of the Pennine League.

Had a few run outs for Siddal A a few years back.

Pennine league is a differnet level to the conference and london league makes us look micky mouse!!