PDA

View Full Version : v plate 1.6 xs with a couple of issues

Jocksuper7
Monday 21st July 2008, 14:50
i helped my mate buy one of these for his daughter, as itw as safer for her kids than the clapped out lump that she had, its got 70k on the clock and cost the princly sum of 750 quid, it has a few little niggles, its sometimes hard to get in to first gear its like the reverse gate gets in teh way, (mine has reverse in a different place) is there a common prob with this or is there somthing more sinister, i have heard of a bush that can be replaced in the linkage?
the other thing is it has a pretty full service history but no mention of the cam belt, when is it due?

chisai
Monday 21st July 2008, 16:35
Long time no hear JS7.
There is a bush that will sort the gear problem, it seems as though it is simple to do but I have not needed to so can't speak from experience.
Timing belt on my 2.0T is 80K, would reckon this would be similar. I'm sure some-one will be here shortly to clarify it though.

CONDYBOY
Monday 21st July 2008, 16:52
I ALWAYS do a timing belt whenever I buy a car it's the only way to be sure! If I was you I'd change it asap for peace of mind.

Jocksuper7
Tuesday 22nd July 2008, 22:33
cheers lads i bought the bushing kit of of parts for volvo for about 14 quid so that easy it looks straight forward enough, i was gonna tell hime to do the timing belt just to be on teh safe side anyways,

@chaisi yeah i have been in afgan for a fair few months am enjoying being back and terrorising hants in teh yellow peril, its a bit more gutsy than a snatch lol!!

chisai
Tuesday 22nd July 2008, 23:11
JS7, I have a friend who would do almost anything for one of those snatch type thingys. He has an old army lightweight just now and uses it where it is meant to be used. Are they pretty gutless then?

Jocksuper7
Tuesday 22nd July 2008, 23:53
its better than a 110, but really its a td5 disco engine with a 110 defender chasis and a light armor top heavy box body on the back, they are nothing compared to a manacity vehicle or supacat what ever they call them these days, they are a whole load better but really offer no more protection you need a mastif they are the muts nuts