PDA

View Full Version : Headlight bulbs.....which ones?

Babybadger
Monday 21st July 2008, 10:54
I am just about to go to france for a day trip, I would like to get the spare bulbs, but which ones are they? The front of my Headlights have H1 on them , but I thought H4 were the standard for Volvo 850s??

It has one bulb for the dipped beam (looks like a bast*** to get out) and a seperate one for the main beam if that helps.

Anyone got photos of each of them so I can see the difference?

dooby
Monday 21st July 2008, 11:44
Hiya,

I've made that mistake before, my car was listed as having H4 but it actually takes H1.

I think probably the older 850s with the taller headlamps took H4 bulbs, the later ones take H1 bulbs for both main and dipped beam.

H4 bulbs have a connector that looks a bit like this:

_
| |

(3 blades making up 3 sides of a square)

And H1 have a single horizontal blade and are smaller. I suspect it's a model year think, but with yours a '95 and mine a '97 then *unless* yours being LHD makes a difference I'd bet you've got H1s in there.

Yes, they can be a pig to get to - I've considered when I do my HID conversion taking the headlamp itself out. It's only 3 bolts, but these themselves are a bit of a pain to get to unless you've got a decent 1/4" set with universal joint and extension bar.

H1 bulb:

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/mustangtuning/luminics-H1-2s.jpg

H4 bulb:

http://www.duettomotors.com/general/genimages/images/lights/xenon-hyperwhite.jpg

HTH, Pete

Dangerous Dave
Monday 21st July 2008, 12:08
Later 850s (after 1995 I think) had a facelift and the headlights were split into two compartments conatining H1s instead of the single compartment with a H4.

You can easily tell if your headlamp has one or two compartments.

Don't get confused with the H7 bulb that was used in the V70s though

Babybadger
Monday 21st July 2008, 12:24
Thanks guys pretty sure they are H1's, as I have the LHD headlights in the loft in volvo boxes, they came with the car. So these may have come from a 1996 or 1997 car, only way to check would be with part number.

I want to put the blue tinged white light bulbs in there that are always advertised on ebay.

So what type would the sidelights be?

Dangerous Dave
Monday 21st July 2008, 13:14
The sidelights are usually a 5 watt push fit wedge bulb I think, but the best thing to do is have a look just to be sure.

T5-TEZ
Monday 21st July 2008, 13:35
My car is a 1994 model T5 and it has H1`s fitted.

Rufe
Monday 21st July 2008, 15:20
>1994 was H4

1994> was H1

1994 could be either type depending on if its a ALT1 or ALT2 (later) model

The way you tell is by looking at the front bumper moulding...

If the black moulding is in 2 sections, ie, one on each side with a gap where the number plate fits then its the earlier ALT1.

If its one solid black moulding then its the ALT2.

Does that make sense? lol

T5-TEZ
Monday 21st July 2008, 15:53
>1994 was H4

1994> was H1

1994 could be either type depending on if its a ALT1 or ALT2 (later) model

The way you tell is by looking at the front bumper moulding...

If the black moulding is in 2 sections, ie, one on each side with a gap where the number plate fits then its the earlier ALT1.

If its one solid black moulding then its the ALT2.

Does that make sense? lol
Thanks Simon,you learn something everyday that explains a few things like when ive bought new front side light/indicator and they were for a 94 but i had to swap them for the 96 version because they were differant LOL.

ken10
Wednesday 23rd July 2008, 06:39
My 1996 855 uses H1 bulbs for the headlamps. You could check the owners manual - page 8-10 for the correct bulb fittings. Hope that helps.