PDA

View Full Version : wind sound

stainesy
Sunday 20th July 2008, 15:18
does anybody els get a wind sound at low revs when driving?
the only way i can explain it is like the sound you get when you blow across the top of an empty bottle.
does anybody els get this sound?

jonno12
Sunday 20th July 2008, 15:42
does it come from the windscreen?

stainesy
Sunday 20th July 2008, 17:30
windscreen????? no its fromt the engine thought it may be the boost in the boost pipes blowing across sumit. it dont cause any problems just wondered if it was normal.

jonno12
Sunday 20th July 2008, 17:40
opps sorry misunderstood lol could be a hole in the air intake pipe i suppose

stainesy
Sunday 20th July 2008, 17:51
you mean the pipe behind the grill that sucks air into the filter. yeah i was thinking that. when i pull away at roundabouts it sounds like wind howling then a big dump valve sound. people must think i got a jet engine or sumit. LOL

jonno12
Sunday 20th July 2008, 17:53
lol i found when i got mine it was making a simular noise and it was one of the jubilee clips had snapped and the pipe had slide out

stainesy
Sunday 20th July 2008, 18:14
think it may be the pipe that has the dump valve on it is making the sound as i only got the sound when i fitted the dump valve. didnt have it before that.
may be the boost passing over the pipe leading the the dv causing the same effect as blowing across the top of a bottle

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 20th July 2008, 19:27
I had a sound sort of like that, it turned out to be one of the small vacuum pipes had kinked and the resulting pipe narrowing created a whistle. But I could hear mine at idle revs so it was easy to trace.

stainesy
Sunday 20th July 2008, 20:20
I had a sound sort of like that, it turned out to be one of the small vacuum pipes had kinked and the resulting pipe narrowing created a whistle. But I could hear mine at idle revs so it was easy to trace.

actuly saying that i have noticed lately that on tick over i have what can only be described as a groupe of small birds tweeting quietly under the bonnet sound.

Babybadger
Monday 21st July 2008, 10:45
Sounds like a summer's morning under your bonnet! I get a woooOOOOooooo noise from the turbo spooling up on mine, some people have said it is wear , although I have had the car since june 2004 and it has done since then, it doesnt burn oil and gives a boost pressure. Scared the **** out of me first time, thought I was being pulled by the cops everytime I opened it up.....

wegal
Monday 21st July 2008, 14:28
I get a whine on mine when i put my foot down as the boost builds, then a outpouring of power, thought it was pretty normal on turbo cars, i also get a hiss and chatter when i lift off, mines only got 29 k on the clock so i would assume its ok.