PDA

View Full Version : Boost gauge Fitting S40 2.0T

iantype-r
Saturday 19th July 2008, 23:22

Enigma666
Sunday 20th July 2008, 03:11
there is one on concepts mate...as for the guage I used a specR electronic one...seems good for the money

CONDYBOY
Monday 21st July 2008, 16:47
Try R-spec they've got a 15% discount for vpcuk members check the members discount forum on this site. also see my v40 mods pics page for where I fitted mine.

iantype-r
Friday 25th July 2008, 16:39
Cheers for the replys guys, just had a look on the R-Spec site, there are some gauges I like on there, I take it any of them fit,

cheers ian

Kal
Friday 25th July 2008, 19:50
I bought a gauge and mbc package off flea bay for about £40, had em fitted for 2 years now and found em very good especially for the money!!
Boost gauge is a doodle to fit! The mbc is a bit trickier as you need to get the hoses the right way round!!

iantype-r
Monday 28th July 2008, 19:13

Kal
Tuesday 29th July 2008, 19:05
If I remember correctly it's the same one you t the dv into!! I had to do mine right near the turbo up the back of the engine as otherwise the pipe wouldn't reach!!!! Careful though make sure you chase it back the the wastegate as I managed to cut the knock sensor wire when fitting my dv thinking it was the vacum pipe!! Cost about £300 to put it right!!! Doh!

iantype-r
Thursday 31st July 2008, 21:49
Cheers for that mate, Yes that pipe I highlighted is the one which the dv comes off and goes into the wastegate, just got to save and Ill get and fit the boost gauge,

cheers ian

jimka
Friday 1st August 2008, 00:16
I've got this one and its very accurate...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GAUGEPLACE-WHITE-FACE-SERIES-BOOST-GAUGE-20-PSI_W0QQitemZ270258266092QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item2 70258266092&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318

the item is the 20psi one which is better than the 30psi boost gauges as its easier to read, allowing you to get a much better, accurate reading.

CONDYBOY
Friday 1st August 2008, 23:05
I'm getting a multicoloured one in the next week if anyone wants a cheap smoked/white guage. See my v40 mods pics for the one i'll have spare.

iantype-r
Tuesday 12th August 2008, 18:10

Kal
Tuesday 12th August 2008, 18:46
It won't show full boost if you just reving it, the car needs to be under load, say in 4th gear them pin it!!! Even then it won't go straight up to full boost, it'll go up gradually and as you get nearer the rev limit it'll start to tail off again!!!

iantype-r
Tuesday 12th August 2008, 18:49

Kal
Tuesday 12th August 2008, 19:18
Yeah mine sits about the -20 mark!!!

iantype-r
Tuesday 12th August 2008, 19:21

Kal
Tuesday 12th August 2008, 19:54
Ours boost to around 9psi standard!! I'm running 14psi but you do that on yours at your own risk!!! :shockedbi No having a go if you do run that and the pistons go bang!!! :shockedbi
Apparently the ecu can compensate up to 15psi, don't forget though I have decat + 2.5" system and induction kit!!
When you fitting your MBC, can get some nice close shots of mine plumbed in showing which colour pipe goes to what part of the MBC!!!
Oh and I blanked off the BCS so it don't keep showing up a overboost fault!!!

iantype-r
Tuesday 12th August 2008, 20:14

daveforber
Tuesday 12th August 2008, 20:46
As I'm about to install an MBC & boost gauge, that would be very helpful. Incidentally, the boost gauge goes into the pipe that goes into the top of the wastegate?

Kal
Wednesday 13th August 2008, 19:26
Right the BCS is what all your turbo pipes are connected to(1st pic), it's by the air filter and has an electrical plug attached! Just blank off all the ends, I used some pipe I had lying around with a bolt screwed in the end!, leave the electrical connecter pluged in though!!
Right the 2nd pic is a pic of what pipe connects to what part of the MBC, pipe marked yellow goes to the wastegate, pipe marked red is your boost source!! At this point you'll be thinking I've got a pipe marked blue left over that you disconnected from the BCS, blank this off, it's not needed!
The 3rd pic is off where i cable tied my MBC too so it didn't flap around and made adjusting easier!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/LeeLoader/Cars/004.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/LeeLoader/Cars/006.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/LeeLoader/Cars/008.jpg

daveforber
Wednesday 13th August 2008, 21:51
Excellent - thanks Kal. Just one more ... which colour pipe does the boost gauge go in (and how does it plumb through into the cabin!?)

iantype-r
Wednesday 13th August 2008, 21:54
Yer thanks kal, thats spot on, ill give it ago when i sort my low boost problem, dave the mbc normaly stays under the bonnet, not in the cabin,

cheers ian

daveforber
Wednesday 13th August 2008, 22:30
Aye, I know the MBC does ... but the boost gauge don't. Where do I poke the transparent pipe through?

Apologies. I know I'm a noob.

Kal
Thursday 14th August 2008, 18:55
There is part of the wiring loom that goes through the bulk head round about where your foot pedals are!!! Just poke the tube in through the grommet and route it where you want it to go!! I had to T mine into the vacum hose that goes to the waste gate from the the front of the block, make sure you do it up the back of the engine though or the pipe won't reach!!! And make sure it's the vacum hose you cut and not the knock sensor wire that runs next to it, cost me about £300 for that slip!!!

iantype-r
Thursday 14th August 2008, 21:55
Aye, I know the MBC does ... but the boost gauge don't. Where do I poke the transparent pipe through?

Apologies. I know I'm a noob.

Kal has said were he put his through, I went the passenger side of the engine bay, there is a big rubber gromet which holds some electrical wires and goes in under the glove box, I pulled it out, made a small hole and went in that way, I have fitted my gauge under the radio, will get some pics if needed,

cheers ian

daveforber
Friday 15th August 2008, 23:10
I had to T mine into the vacum hose that goes to the waste gate from the the front of the block
Sorry to keep asking daft questions (I'm happy to do the work ... I just don't know which is a vacuum hose and which ain't).

So, as the piccy says:
http://www.daveforber.co.uk/forums/wastegatepipe.jpg

That pipe ends up in the BCS.

iantype-r
Saturday 16th August 2008, 19:09
Im not to sure dave bu looking at your pic, that looks like the top pipe, Ive got mine on the bottom/front as you look at it from the front of the car.

Anyway I took the dump valve off, put it back on, made sure all the pipes were tight and it was still showing 5 psi, I went and got another gauge from halfruads and that is showing just past 6 psi, the gauge I got wont sit at 0, its just past in the -.

I fitted the mbc, wound it out to start, it was then showing 10 psi, I turned it up a few times, then even wound it quite far in and it still showing about 10 psi, so at the mo im not all that impressed, unless I have a problem somwere,

cheers ian

daveforber
Saturday 16th August 2008, 19:41
Glad I didn't cut it then! Actually, looking at Kal's MBC 'how to' picture, I'll probably fit it inline with the boost source for the MBC.

There is a world of difference between 6psi and 10psi - any difference in the performance of the car? At least if it went quicker you'd know something was happening!

iantype-r
Saturday 16th August 2008, 19:45
Umm not sure tbh, Ill leave it on for a few weeks, then ill take it off, see if I notice any difference then by taking it off, ill take my mrs out in it tomoz she if she notices any difference she nomaly notices better than I do,

cheers ian

CONDYBOY
Saturday 16th August 2008, 20:52
at tickover shouldn't you be reading in the negative anyway? as far as i am aware the turbo doesn't start to spool until you depress the accelerator which means that the engine is having to draw the air in thus a negative reading. all IMO.

Kal
Sunday 17th August 2008, 11:36
at tickover shouldn't you be reading in the negative anyway? as far as i am aware the turbo doesn't start to spool until you depress the accelerator which means that the engine is having to draw the air in thus a negative reading. all IMO.

Yeah mine reads -20 on tick over, only get + pressure above half throttle!!

Kal
Sunday 17th August 2008, 11:40
Sounds like you have a prob somewhere Ian, mine went from 9psi to 15psi(original pressure I was running)!! You should notice a big diff in performance espically in the higher gears!! I can't get grip in 1st if I pin mine and also struggle for grip in 2nd even in the dry!!!

iantype-r
Sunday 17th August 2008, 19:22
Sounds like you have a prob somewhere Ian, mine went from 9psi to 15psi(original pressure I was running)!! You should notice a big diff in performance espically in the higher gears!! I can't get grip in 1st if I pin mine and also struggle for grip in 2nd even in the dry!!!

Umm I know, I have checked and double checked all the hoses Ive changed and cut into, I took the dump valve off, and back on again, bought another boost gauge. What else can I check, anyway a garage could tell by plugging in there systems, any other sujestions,

cheers ian

Kal
Sunday 17th August 2008, 21:15
Are you running stock induction and exhaust??

iantype-r
Sunday 17th August 2008, 21:35
Stock exhaust but got a pipercross induction kit, I also refitted the standard one to see if there would be any change, but it was the same,

cheers ian

Kal
Tuesday 19th August 2008, 19:34
Eemm not sure, you should notice a diff really!! You blanked off the BSC but left it plugged in? I'll double check my connections!! What MBC you using??