PDA

View Full Version : Sticky question

V70RAWD
Tuesday 19th April 2005, 22:02
My V70R AWD (1998) has twice now had a really bad burning smell from the off-side front wheel, this is normally after a small hard burst ( :B_steerin ). If you put your hand close to the front wheel, it so hot you can't touch the wheel !!! So I guess my front caliper is sticking, any ideas or remedy. It seems to clear if I practice a few 'VERY' hard stops, but that hurts my P-Zeros :-(
Amazingly when this happens I don't feel any pull from the off side wheel, I can let go of the steering wheel and the car still goes in almost a straight line, so this is a bit confusing !

Thanks....

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 20th April 2005, 00:54
Sounds more likely to be bearing related.

glock19
Wednesday 20th April 2005, 11:16
Why don't you just go fast over a long empty stretch and refrain from too much braking to verify dave's comments ?

andi t5
Thursday 21st April 2005, 16:49
sounds like a sticking piston, if it were bearing related with that sort of heat being generated you would probalary be getting a lot of noise, bearings normally start droning long before they fail remove the caliper and check the pistons are moving freely with no sign of binding also check the bearings for play and no evedence of noise or roughness while youve got the car jacked up if the pistons are the problem i think you can obtain overhaul kits from volvo

V70RAWD
Sunday 24th April 2005, 22:04
Thanks
I had the wheel off and made sure the pads were moving freely within the caliper. The one thing I did noticed was the dust rubber boot was half off around the main caliper piston. I was planning to swing the caliper out and sort this out. But I tried to undo two @ 15MM bolts (top and bottom) of the caliper but they were'nt budging. Was this the right thing to attempt ? and how much force should I be expecting to use to undo these bolts ?

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 24th April 2005, 23:52
Normally you will find that the caliper are fairly tight and may have loctite on them too. Use a good quality hex socket and a 1/2 inch driver - may even use a breaker bar or torque wrench. Apply hard but steady force - don't jerk down on the driver. Apply penetrating oil as required. I have only ever had to use my 1/2" driver to get them off.

V70RAWD
Tuesday 26th April 2005, 00:48
Normally you will find that the caliper are fairly tight and may have loctite on them too. Use a good quality hex socket and a 1/2 inch driver - may even use a breaker bar or torque wrench. Apply hard but steady force - don't jerk down on the driver. Apply penetrating oil as required. I have only ever had to use my 1/2" driver to get them off.
Thanks Dave,
I'm fairly happy that the pads are freely moving now and will monitor whether I get the smelly very very hot caliper again.
By the way my 'brake bulb warning' light has just started to come on every time I brake !!! Now hopefully this is just a bulb problem (as, yes one of my rear lights has now stopped working) just coincidence, as this was just after removing the front wheel (ummm !!!)
Any way it got me thinking as I have noticed that the pads on this one front wheel are now getting a bit thin, there dosen't seem to be a dash warning light for 'pads are too thin ' or is there ?
Is there some other dash light, that comes on when the pads are thin ? Please don't tell me that they have a system to tell me the brake bulb has blown but none for worn pads!

again thanks for all your help

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 26th April 2005, 09:53
Where are you?

V70RAWD
Tuesday 26th April 2005, 23:40
Where are you?
Hampshire (at the end of the A34 :B_steerin )

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 27th April 2005, 01:01
I shall have to come and say hi next time I am down there (seeing my bro in pompeii)

V70RAWD
Wednesday 27th April 2005, 23:00
I shall have to come and say hi next time I am down there (seeing my bro in pompeii)

np just let me know before your down this way again (I'm right a the end of the A34 where it joins the M3) allways a cool beer a friendly table waiting !!!
Pool Table (http://atdot.co.uk/pooltable/)

(or just follow your nose to the smell of fresh burning brake disks !!!)

siamblue
Thursday 28th April 2005, 02:08
np just let me know before your down this way again (I'm right a the end of the A34 where it joins the M3) allways a cool beer a friendly table waiting !!!
Pool Table (http://atdot.co.uk/pooltable/)

(or just follow your nose to the smell of fresh burning brake disks !!!)

Ah Winchester,Many a good blast on the Newbury to Winchester road. :)

V70RAWD
Monday 2nd May 2005, 23:32
Arghhhh... I thought the sticking calipier had been sorted, but yet again stuck on ( so much so the car was almost stalling, when pulling away up hill, just think of it stalling my V70 R NO !!!!! :slap: ) Then I went to clean the car and only then did I realised how much baked on brake dust there was on the front wheel and how tough it was to remove !!!

So now the questions...
1 If I replace the caliper should I then replace the pads on both fronts ?
2 There seems to be more wear on the one disk on the sticking side, so replace single or both front disks ?
3. Any good sugestions for replacment parts (german & sweedish) or just stick with Volvo parts ?

(Sounding expensive just typing about it ! )

oh well ..... ( or will it get better on its own ? :bricks: (trying to find a smiley with head in the sand))

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 3rd May 2005, 00:31
There is no requirement to replace the pads with the new calipers. You should only replace pads if you are changing the disk. It is the braking surface interface that is the important. You dont need to change the disks for new pads however as you can bed new pads in on existing rotors.

Disks should be replaced as pairs ideally. Ring VT for a decent set up from VT for pads and disks. In my humble opinion the Ferodo DS pads are worth it.

V70RAWD
Thursday 5th May 2005, 00:05
and the story goes on

Its seems for the V70 R they have fitted several different size front disk's !

So as my local (very helpfull spares department man) has explained, on the VIN plate the first four digits on the lower right hand side 'eight didgit' (yawn !!) number is very important (mine was 122m or was it 12mm !!)

so one front calipier £110 +vat
each from disk £57 +vat (I assume best to replace both !)
set of pads £54 +vat (volvo own)

then I asked about a quote from Volvo to do the above work (replace drivers side caliper and both front disks and a set of pads)
WELLLL at £85 plus vat a hour (that £164,000 a year !!!)

they quoted all in £556 so I said ummm thankyou (let me vomit) and I will be back in touch....

Today without me doing anything I have had two phone calls from Volvo offering me a reduced prce of £496 (incl) and they can fit it in asap

Thanks Dave,

quick update.... I have now had a new calipier, two new disk's and pads fitted £380 incl !!!! (not by Volvo ! )