PDA

View Full Version : cv joint fitting help.

stainesy
Friday 18th July 2008, 19:02
ok i have the new cv joint to be fitted to my 850. i have decided to fit it myslef to save money.
i have been reading my haynes manual on how to do it.
the manual says to remove the drive shaft then change the cv joint.
do i have to remove the hole driveshaft or can i just free the hub from the cv joint then change the joint and re atach the hub?
whats the best way to change it.

any help welcome.

5seaterT5x2
Friday 18th July 2008, 20:30
ok i have the new cv joint to be fitted to my 850. i have decided to fit it myslef to save money.
i have been reading my haynes manual on how to do it.
the manual says to remove the drive shaft then change the cv joint.
do i have to remove the hole driveshaft or can i just free the hub from the cv joint then change the joint and re atach the hub?
whats the best way to change it.

any help welcome.

Drivers side tis easier to take shaft off and do it on bench.
Passengers side a little more fun but i'd still take shaft out and do it on bench.
Ok you loose a little fluid unless you can jack the appropriate side up far enough,but not enough to stress about.
Done mine couple weeks back.
Getting the shaft out of the hub now that is a painnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
if you can get hold of a DECENT!!!!!!!!!! 3 legged puller (HYDRAULIC TYPE) makes the job much much easier.Borrow one or they are not stupid money on ebay £50/60 or so upwards get the best you can.Labour costs saved should more than pay for it.

stainesy
Friday 18th July 2008, 20:41
cheers for the help mate but the reason im doing it mysekf is coz i cant aford £60 to get it done so cant aford a puller. and yes its the passenger side.

5seaterT5x2
Friday 18th July 2008, 20:55
cheers for the help mate but the reason im doing it mysekf is coz i cant aford £60 to get it done so cant aford a puller. and yes its the passenger side.

I expect someone will be along in a bit to tell the trade secret on getting shaft out of hub,but i managed to borrow a superb puller made it dead easy.
mine are done now but if i gotta get under there again i'm buying a puller.
Think with some perseverance cv joint can be removed from shaft in situ once released from hub but bloomin fiddly once you got it out of hub CAREFULLY!!!! get a lever of somekind behind inner cv joint and poip it out of box dont!!! damage seal.
Drivers side is easier just 2 bolts and pull/lift it out of box.
Hardest job for me was gettin bleeding thing out of hub after that quite easy.
Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stainesy
Friday 18th July 2008, 20:59
cheers am thinking maybe im in over my head now. have never taken a drive shaft off before and dont want to foook my car.

nobananas
Friday 18th July 2008, 23:39
You can of course split the C/V joint from the driveshaft leaving the driveshaft on the car and just taking the hubcarrier and C/V joint away to get it pressed out. Be careful though, if you seperate the hub carrier from the suspension leg (two bolts) you will loose the camber settings on that side so either try to mark it somehow (quite tricky) or make sure you can get it somewhere to have the camber adjusted afterwards.