PDA

View Full Version : Di*k Head So called mechanics !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cameron
Friday 18th July 2008, 18:18
These ££££ers are the bain of my life.................

I was driving along steady like and i put my foot down to hear a large what i can only describe as whoooshing noise.

The car didnt seem as responsive and a couple of seconds later the car jolted as though it had been put into reverse, then sped off again.

Upon getting home i opened her up, and at first i couldnt see anything obvious.

After several minutes of close inspection i noticed a split hose and connector.

I asked a decent or so i though garage near me to install the dump valve, and a t piece from the recirc line.

The Dumb £££££ had used a 5mm PLASTIC t piece, it had melted and snapped leaving the recirc hose lying loose.

Will this have done any damage to the turbo, wastegate, or the engine?

I have now purchased silicone hoses off fleabay and a metal t piece and i will sort it myself, along with my new Forge Dual Piston Dump Valve.

As much feedback as poss guys and gal, as i dont want to have to fork out for no T5 engines, turbos or the like.

Sorry to be so long winded.

Cheers Lee

stephenevans99
Friday 18th July 2008, 18:28
I can recommend an extremely good garage in Manchester city centre the next time you need any work or servicing. They've maintained my T5 over the last 4-5 years & have never let me down.

I wouldn't have thought your pipe splitting and loss of vacuum would cause any damage.

Steve

cameron
Friday 18th July 2008, 18:35
I can recommend an extremely good garage in Manchester city centre the next time you need any work or servicing. They've maintained my T5 over the last 4-5 years & have never let me down.

I wouldn't have thought your pipe splitting and loss of vacuum would cause any damage.

Steve

Cheers stephen, i'll keep that in mind. Are you going to denton Aug 16th? if so see you there buddy.

PNuT
Friday 18th July 2008, 18:39
i must be a dumb £££££ too.....

cameron
Friday 18th July 2008, 18:45

Why's that PNut?

stephenevans99
Friday 18th July 2008, 18:54
Cheers stephen, i'll keep that in mind. Are you going to denton Aug 16th? if so see you there buddy.

I'll be there with the missus & two mud monkeys !!

stephenevans99
Friday 18th July 2008, 18:59

Don't put yourself down mate....although sentences do normally start with a capital letter.

Sorry, you know I'm only joking !!

PNuT
Friday 18th July 2008, 19:06
Why's that PNut?

a few reasons....

plastic doesn't melt then snap

there's nothing that hot normally in the places that need a metal t piece

PNuT
Friday 18th July 2008, 19:07
Don't put yourself down mate....although sentences do normally start with a capital letter.

Sorry, you know I'm only joking !!

sentences start with a judge ;)

stephenevans99
Friday 18th July 2008, 19:11
sentences start with a judge ;)

lol.

nobananas
Friday 18th July 2008, 21:05
I can't see any reason why not to use a plastic T piece either. You are only dealing with vac pressure as well and as pnut has said there shouldn't be anything near there that's that hot otherwise the original rubber piping probably wouldnt be up to the task as for engine damage, highly unlikely, I've known peeps on here running their motors without a re-circ or dump valve and have reported no immediate problems.

nobananas
Friday 18th July 2008, 21:07
Ohh look a Bailey dump valve with a plastic spigot connector on the top !

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BAILEY-DUMP-VALVE-DV12-SUBARU-IMPREZA-V-7-8-2001-NEW_W0QQitemZ350078455605QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item3 50078455605&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318

Alan M
Friday 18th July 2008, 22:16
It can depend on what type of plastic is used. The plastic on the top of dump valves is usually a high temperature ABS plastic. Some more softer types can melt. I made my Tee pieces from Brass and Bronze - it what was tohand at the time. Everyone is right though about the temps on the vac lines. Where exactly did the mechanic fit this soft plastic Tee peice??

nobananas
Friday 18th July 2008, 22:35
Probably cable tied it to the turbine housing !

cameron
Friday 18th July 2008, 22:51
Probably cable tied it to the turbine housing !

Im not sure what its called, but i'll try and explain.....

On the bottom of the air filter box there is like a ring with what must be a sensor with 3 pipes going into it, he put it about 3 inches away from this on the recirc line, BUT he hadnt put it back into the rubber housing it was forced up in between the air filter box and the side of the block plus, it looked as though it had got hot then just blown, the joints are stupidly thin for the job he wanted them to do plus i found the same plastic t pieces in my local motor factors ( 3 for 60p ) they are really thin plus they say washer jet line only on them !

Maybe ive gone over board buying a metal one but id rather be safe than sorry, plus Volvo has a reputation for " over engineering " their cars, so i thought id join in, lol, should be good though new silicone hoses, metal t piece and a new Forge twin piston dump valve. i got a blanking plate but im unsure of where it goes, help please !

nobananas
Friday 18th July 2008, 23:04
The blanking plate replaces the standard re-circ valve (triangular shaped, three bolts) that in turn does the same job as the dump valve you've had fitted. The 'thingy' that's fitted to the side of the air-box is the boost control solonoid and as far as I know the pipework to it goes to the turbo compressor housing, to the wastegate and another pipe to the air filter housing so I don't know why it's been tapped into for the dump valve as that requires vacuum to operate when the throttle is closed so should be connected either to the pipe that goes to re-circ or to the vac tree somewhere.

cameron
Friday 18th July 2008, 23:05
The blanking plate replaces the standard re-circ valve (triangular shaped, three bolts) that in turn does the same job as the dump valve you've had fitted.

Ah right its not a blanking plate then, rollocks! Where can i get one, plus can you use both or does it have to be blanked off, id rather do it properly.

nobananas
Friday 18th July 2008, 23:29
Usually blank it off. I know some people run with both just to get the 'fipish' sound when changing gear but it's pointless running with both. I have heard that fitting a dump to atmosphere type dump valve can cause it to run rich momentarily as you are dumping air thats already been metered by the maf (as opposed to the re-circ valve that dumps it back into the inlet tract post MAF) but I don't think it's anything excessive and people tend to do it just for the sound (which you either love or hate !). Forge do blanking plates afaik.

stephenevans99
Saturday 19th July 2008, 07:58
I bought my Forge blanking plate from PartsForVolvosOnline (http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords=blanking+plate&osCsid=ebd6dd7dbb1daff60811fef49103b728). Superb quality but perhaps a little expensive.