PDA

View Full Version : Help & Advice needed - 850R

Daz T5
Tuesday 19th April 2005, 20:36
I'm having a very annoying intermitent electrical problem with my 1997 850R. The car will be running fine when you leave it, go back to it and it won't start. It's happend about 4 or 5 times now. Had RAC out last time and it's definately a spark problem, he seemed to think it was ignition amplifier (mounted near coil) or crank sensor. My mechanic seconds his opinion. Any body else had this problem or share this view?

Pedro Fandango
Tuesday 19th April 2005, 20:42
i had the same sort of thing when my crank shaft position sensor went (both times). £80 for the sensor & an hour at the very most to replace it

Daz T5
Wednesday 20th April 2005, 14:29
Cheers Pedro,

Got a sensor today, being fitted tomorrow, process of elimination begins, wish me luck!!

Pedro Fandango
Wednesday 20th April 2005, 16:25
did you get the diagnostic codes checked first, mine came up with the correct fault both times

you not fitting it yourself, its only 3 bolts & a plug?

hope it is the problem mate :wink:

Daz T5
Wednesday 20th April 2005, 20:23
No didn't get the fault codes checked, was under the impression after speaking to a few people that it would only show as a fault whilst the intermitent fault manifesting itself. Cars going in for full service tomorrow so it's being fitted at same time (saves me getting my hands dirty!!)

I'll let you know how it goes.

Pedro Fandango
Wednesday 20th April 2005, 20:28
was under the impression after speaking to a few people that it would only show as a fault whilst the intermitent fault manifesting itself.
i would have thought that a code would be logged the first time a fault was detected (which would have been the first time it wouldn't start)

Daz T5
Sunday 24th April 2005, 20:53
Crank sensor fitted.......sorted!