PDA

View Full Version : is a C70 Baby friendly?

Tiny 12
Thursday 17th July 2008, 15:04
Hi Hi,

After a number of months discussing what my dear Dear wife’s wants as a new vehicle, due to our new arrival in September, Her beloved Polo MkVI GTi’s boot is to small for buggy plus baby accessories and is only two door so has to go!

She has resisted both mine and my fathers efforts to get her in to a V70 or a V40, However on driving down the road the other day she saw a red R reg C70 coupe and she said “what’s that…..can I have one of those?”

I just wanted to find out how child friendly they are, ie: will she break her back getting the little one in and out of the back seats? My theory is it’s a coupe has large doors so probably not, and I assume being a coupe modelled on the V70 the boot is huuuuuuuuuuge!

I don’t suppose any one on here regularly puts small children in the back (seats…not boot!!!) of these and can advise either way!

Thanks,

Rufe
Thursday 17th July 2008, 15:13
one MAJOR word of advice if your using the rear seats daily... dont get one with electric seats. simple as that.

(boot space is very good too in my opinion, the C70 is as long as the estate)

i wonder if theres any one local who owns a c70 and would be able to meet with you to let you have a look around it to gauge an idea of size?

C70Dan
Thursday 17th July 2008, 16:27
I've got two kids 3 and 5, so I have to use the rear seats on a daily basis, I made sure I got one without the electric seats after looking at others with electric seats which a painfully slow to move forwards. They love it in the back though, especially when you boot it! The giggles in the back get louder as the engine gets louder

Sveneng
Thursday 17th July 2008, 17:57
We've just bought one as a second car. We have a three year old and another on the way in a couple of months time. Although we are lucky enough to have a practical 4x4 the C70 has lots of space for all the baby associated kit. My three year old climbs in and out himself so that is not a problem. When your baby is very small I would think it wouldn't be to difficult to get the baby seat into the back (I previously had an M3 coupe that my wife could put our then baby in the back initially) but as the baby grows and gets heavier then your wife may struggle a little (as my wife has just reminded me that she did). Our C70 doesn't have a passenger front airbag so if my wife was using it the baby could go in the front seat if needed. I bought the car because I wanted an interesting run around that we could all go out in as a family and I've certainly not been disappointed.
I'd say find one near to you and go and have a look for yourself.
Sven

Wombatbomb
Thursday 17th July 2008, 18:28
The boot is huge, I think it was basically designed to hold 3 or 4 sets of golf clubs.

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 17th July 2008, 19:01
Just make sure that the one you buy - that the tilt mech works properly (miines busted on the drivers side and has been since I bought it).

Inside is really roomy including the back - which was born out when Mrs Wobbly drove me, Justin and Darryl back from my last job leaving do.

Boot is spacious but the apperture can be a squeeze for very bulky items. Generally I've never had a problem and it is big enough inside to get my kayak in!!

V70Stu
Thursday 17th July 2008, 19:12
Your right, the C70 does have a good sized boot...but my experience of a coupe (3ltr Alfa GTV) and young children (4 and 2 at the time) was that with 2 long and deep doors meant it was a real struggle to get in to buckle-up the car seats in a normal Sainsbury's car park space (ok in a parent a child space though!!). The coupe doors definately seem bigger and more awkward that a small 3door car (eg fiesta etc).

All said though...the C70 has got to be better than a normal baby wagon like a zafira!!!

Tiny 12
Thursday 17th July 2008, 19:16
That was one thing we both agreed on....no zafiras, piccaso's, scenics ect!!

I have seen a v nice saffy number for a very reasonable price!! fingers x'd it dose not have leccy seats!!!!

AndyJudge
Thursday 17th July 2008, 23:18
We've got a C70 Convertible & its plenty spacious enough for our 2 & 8 yr olds, In fact I frequently sit in the back with our 2yr to prevent WWIII breaking out on a journey.

Boots plenty long enough in a ragtop but the hoodbox steals a huge area of bootspace in this model, tintop should be fine for baby clobber.

Andy

Azza
Friday 18th July 2008, 09:55
I concur, i have a 9 month old and an 8 year old, baby seat is a bit of a pain getting into the car, made a LOT easier when the roof is down obviously! But there's no way you'll get a full-size buggy in a convertible boot, we've got a stroller in ours no worries but as said, the aperture is rather small.

Tiny 12
Friday 18th July 2008, 11:08
We are defo going to go tin-top!!

are any of these any members cars??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250271060583&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching

or

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330252304612&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching

I thought the wife may like a saffy one but they are a no go now!!!

Rufe
Friday 18th July 2008, 11:33
the green one has electric seats... see above ^

Wobbly Dave
Friday 18th July 2008, 15:55
What's your budget?

Boxzoo
Friday 18th July 2008, 16:01
That green one looks really nice though.

Can someone explain about the electric seats? I have electric seats on my 850 and I know they're painfully slow to move back and forth, but if someone's getting in the back of a C70 wouldn't they just flick the lever on the seat back and the back would flip forward meaning they could get in? Or do you have to move the whole seat forward to get in?

Tiny 12
Friday 18th July 2008, 16:24
What's your budget?

Well Im not sure really I probably dont want to spend more than £3k i have seen some tidy ones with 90-120k miles for £1.5-£2.2K

I dont mind a reasonably high milage one, as it is litraly just so we can get rid of the Polo and get her into somthing bigger before the baby comes!

Rufe
Friday 18th July 2008, 16:25
yes they tilt but the whole seat slides forward when tilted forward to give more access room (there wouldnt be hardly any access room otherwise)

Tiny 12
Monday 21st July 2008, 13:29
We went to see the green one yesterday and I was v impressed with the seat forward I could actually get all of me in the back in a good position to put a little one in and I’m wider than I am tall!!!).

the wife was v impressed to, and didn’t think it was as big as she fear.

Oh my oh my that boot is huge to!!

princepugh
Monday 21st July 2008, 14:29
Saw a nice C70 with a child seat in it the other day so people obviously manage and as per the previous replies, there is ample room in the cabin and boot so I suppose it beats a Polo hands down! :-)

To be honest though, just the thought of trying to get our baby and 4 year old in and out of a three door makes my back twinge and blood pressure soar! Maybe you should arrange a blind date with a PII V70, she might change her mind after driving it?

Wobbly Dave
Monday 21st July 2008, 20:15
Well Im not sure really I probably dont want to spend more than £3k i have seen some tidy ones with 90-120k miles for £1.5-£2.2K

I dont mind a reasonably high milage one, as it is litraly just so we can get rid of the Polo and get her into somthing bigger before the baby comes!
You should be able to get something half decent for that money, personally if you're going for a T5 I really rate the post 99 ones with the VVT head/ME7 controlled throttle.

Tiny 12
Tuesday 22nd July 2008, 09:12
Saw a nice C70 with a child seat in it the other day so people obviously manage and as per the previous replies, there is ample room in the cabin and boot so I suppose it beats a Polo hands down! :-)

To be honest though, just the thought of trying to get our baby and 4 year old in and out of a three door makes my back twinge and blood pressure soar! Maybe you should arrange a blind date with a PII V70, she might change her mind after driving it?

I have tried getting her in V70's, 850's, V 40's the works, told her how they are ballistic, but she didn’t want to know! we even went to see a Ph2 V70 R to see if I could tempt her but she didn’t like it!

thank god for the C70!!!

princepugh
Tuesday 22nd July 2008, 10:04
I'm sure you'll find a tidy C70 - good luck with the baby, have you selected a stroller yet? The missus tried three before settling on this http://www.twoleftfeet.co.uk/acatalog/Stokke_Xplory_Red.html
Darned Scandinavians!

OogieBoogie
Thursday 24th July 2008, 09:10
I wouldn't like to be taking a child out of the back seat, but the boot space is no problem. I regularly have a childs wheelchair in there (without taking the wheels off). I took the w/chair down to the garage and tried it out before buying.

paullus
Saturday 26th July 2008, 14:40
The C70 is a beautiful car but I wouldn't put anything in the back of any two door coupe that I might want to get out quickly in the event of an emergency.
Sorry but maybe I've seen too much carnage during my career.