PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel shake !!!!!!!!!!!!!

cameron
Thursday 17th July 2008, 00:02
I have changed the wheels on my T5S to 17" Wolfrace,

I had the wheels balanced, as there was a shake in the steering wheel accelerating between 50 - 70mph, this didnt help, so i got the tracking done, this didnt help, the tyres are all good, but i have noticed some uneven wear on them, and one wheel is pretty badly scuffed, i got this one balanced and they didnt say anything about the wheel being " buckled " so i am stuck now for things to try.

Any suggestions?????????????????????

CONDYBOY
Thursday 17th July 2008, 00:14
Take it back defo sounds like a buckled wheel. ask the to put it onto the balancer and this time you watch for the wheel "wobbling" If it does ask for your money back as you can't balance a wobbly wheel.

dooby
Thursday 17th July 2008, 09:36
Hiya,

I've had steering wheel wobble from a worn wishbone ball joint before.

HTH, Pete

Alan M
Thursday 17th July 2008, 10:15
Ihad a wobble from worn control arm bushes too. Check them over first.

cameron
Thursday 17th July 2008, 13:30
Hiya,

I've had steering wheel wobble from a worn wishbone ball joint before.

HTH, Pete

It only does it when accelerating, im stumped, it had new wishbones last year, the drop links look okay, and the ball joints look okay also.

cameron
Thursday 17th July 2008, 13:35
Ihad a wobble from worn control arm bushes too. Check them over first.

Worn control arm bushes?????? give me a name i'll understand please, im common i dont know posh names sorry.

Tomcat
Thursday 17th July 2008, 13:58
Wishbone bushes....that's what he means....

cameron
Thursday 17th July 2008, 14:03
Wishbone bushes....that's what he means....

Cheers T.C., are these easy to replace? how much? also would these not be replaced when the wishbones were done last year?

Tomcat
Thursday 17th July 2008, 14:15
I've never replaced a wishbone but I would have thought they'd come with new bushes in them.

cameron
Thursday 17th July 2008, 14:18
I've never replaced a wishbone but I would have thought they'd come with new bushes in them.

My thoughts exactly ! So should i go down the buckled wheel route or what?
It was on the front and someone said put it on the back and you will see a difference, i did this but it was exactly the same, i am completely stumped.

Time for a trip to the stealers me thinks:cussing:

Straker
Thursday 17th July 2008, 14:27
I wouldn't worry about it they "all do that sir". My 850 is the same and mechanically there is nothing wrong with it. It's a combination of low body stiffness and I suspect to improve crash they don't fix the coloums to the body as well as other OEM's.

Chalk it up to the car's character and don't worry about it.

Jod T5
Thursday 17th July 2008, 14:28
Tbh vibration around the 60mph make is usually sure fire balance issues. I would get this double checked and ensure the tyre is correctly seated on the rim....
cheers
jod

cameron
Thursday 17th July 2008, 14:39
Im thinking about putting the origonal wheels back on her, it was fine till i changed them over, just have to find some now, and try and sell my 17" ones.

Jod T5
Thursday 17th July 2008, 14:57
Im thinking about putting the origonal wheels back on her, it was fine till i changed them over, just have to find some now, and try and sell my 17" ones.

that seems to cast iron the theory that either the wheels themselves are unbalanced or the tyre damaged or incorrectly fitted
cheers
jod

ShadeTek
Thursday 17th July 2008, 22:45
I remember watching a "Jock's garage" on Sky TV and a guy came in after fitting new alloys complaining of wheel wobble. It was his new alloys which had buckled after going over potholes and such like. Jack your car up and spin the wheels and see if they are warped. Also try swapping the front and the rears to see if that moves the problem.

Long time no see Jod. See you over at "the other place We dareth not mention", very soon.

cameron
Thursday 17th July 2008, 22:47
I remember watching a "Jock's garage" on Sky TV and a guy came in after fitting new alloys complaining of wheel wobble. It was his new alloys which had buckeld after going over potholes and such like. Jack your car up and spin the wheels and see if they are warped. Also try swapping the front and the rears to see if that moves the problem.

Long time no see Jod. See you over at "the other place We dareth not mention", very soon.

ShadeTek i took the one i think is buckled off the front and put it on the rear and still the shake, im stuck!

ShadeTek
Thursday 17th July 2008, 22:54
Maybe they're all warped?