PDA

View Full Version : Speed Restrictors ???????????

cameron
Wednesday 16th July 2008, 18:07
Do T5's have speed restrictors, if so how can they be removed? if atall.

Cheers

Tomcat
Wednesday 16th July 2008, 18:12
Not sure if they do but I know that when they're RICA'd the rev limiter is removed.

Wombatbomb
Wednesday 16th July 2008, 18:14
Yes and yes. As far as I know on an early car, an 850 for example, it's controlled by the rev limiter and gearing, removing it is related to altered gear ratio's, rev limiters etc. On an ME7 it's electronic, part of the software map and they can definitely be removed, the Plod do it and certain remaps do it.

cameron
Wednesday 16th July 2008, 18:17
Ah nice one T.C. im only asking as i have no proof in front of me to indicate my car has had a Rica Upgrade, just the word of the garage my old man got it from, the rev limiter goes all the way into the red ( only when im chasing scoobys ) and the turbo guage goes off the end. How do i find out ? is there an easy way without opening up the ecu ?

Cheers

Wombatbomb
Wednesday 16th July 2008, 18:19
Not sure if they do but I know that when they're RICA'd the rev limiter is removed.

I would sincerely hope it is adjusted, not removed completely!

Wombatbomb
Wednesday 16th July 2008, 18:22
Ah nice one T.C. im only asking as i have no proof in front of me to indicate my car has had a Rica Upgrade, just the word of the garage my old man got it from, the rev limiter goes all the way into the red ( only when im chasing scoobys ) and the turbo guage goes off the end. How do i find out ? is there an easy way without opening up the ecu ?

Cheers

Well, depending on what year they started fittng them, a quick check would be does it have the ECU secuity strap in place? If so, has the bolt head had a slot cut in it to turn it into a slothead screw? If not, then it's either never been off or someone has been unusually thorough and actually fitted a replacement one.

Tomcat
Wednesday 16th July 2008, 18:37
I can't remember now, I'm sure I was told it had been removed.

PNuT
Wednesday 16th July 2008, 19:09
Yes and yes. As far as I know on an early car, an 850 for example, it's controlled by the rev limiter and gearing, removing it is related to altered gear ratio's, rev limiters etc. On an ME7 it's electronic, part of the software map and they can definitely be removed, the Plod do it and certain remaps do it.

my 4.4 has both a rev limiter & a speed limiter on the mte map.... revs are 6500rpm & speed is 155mph

the rpm in my car @ 155mph is around 6000rpm

cameron
Wednesday 16th July 2008, 19:35
Not sure then, ive had 145, i wasnt paying much attention to the rev counter though, then someone pulled out in front of me about 500 yards away, so eased off. Still had more in it though.

Wombatbomb
Wednesday 16th July 2008, 19:36
My rev limiter is at 7,250rpm and I've still not found my speed limiter despite extensive autobahn testing where GPS speeds of 160mph have been seen. Mine is ME7, which may explain differences.

shaun850
Wednesday 16th July 2008, 20:10
There is a speed limiter on a 850 T5.. 155mph (real speed not speedo )

nobananas
Wednesday 16th July 2008, 21:57
Not sure then, ive had 145, i wasnt paying much attention to the rev counter though, then someone pulled out in front of me about 500 yards away, so eased off. Still had more in it though.

That would of course be someone pulling out in front of you FROM THE PIT LANE or similar I assume !

cameron
Wednesday 16th July 2008, 23:04
That would of course be someone pulling out in front of you FROM THE PIT LANE or similar I assume !

Not quite mate, 747 while i was running down the airfield at Prestwick airport in scotland, my uncle works there, went up about 2 weeks ago and he said he wanted to see how fast it was. He was scared by 120! LOL.

Dont worry no public roads were harmed in the making of the mess in my car that day!

wegal
Thursday 17th July 2008, 05:16
The me7 is limited to 155, remaps usually remove this. To be honest you need a really long bit of road to get to that speed anyway.

hamish
Thursday 17th July 2008, 10:01
Do T5's have speed restrictors, if so how can they be removed? if atall.

Cheers

Hi,

Yes all T5's have a speed limiter.
Most tuners up the speed limiter when they remap. It is never removed it is just put up to a value that is never going to be achieved say 200mph. So the car no longer has an electronic speed limiter.
It is the same with the rev limiter. FYI (and Ben's and TC's) Rica does not 'remove' rev limiters only lifts them to a safe point where appropriate.
It does sound like your car has been remaped or modified if the boost o meter is going of the end of the white bit. Who knows if it is Rica or another tuners work??? It would be pointless looking through my database of all the Rica tuned cars as many Rica'd ECU's are not in their original car or the tune was carried out by 1 of our dealers and we never saw the car to obtain it's Reg. and VIN.
For what it is worth all the 850's standard or 'chipped' will struggle to exceed about 150 mph. Aerodynamics, and the Gearing take over and you will find you need a big hill with a tail wind to exceed a real 150 !! Good luck trying though!!

Regards,
Hamish.

Tim Williams
Thursday 17th July 2008, 10:02
My rev limiter is at 7,250rpm and I've still not found my speed limiter despite extensive autobahn testing where GPS speeds of 160mph have been seen. Mine is ME7, which may explain differences.

If you have a P1 ME7 with manual box with the standard 225/45/17s then you will be 153mph @ 6k, 166mph @ 6.5k and your soft limiter will be 185mph with your 7250rpm limit, those are real speeds not the ones on a standard speedo.

lance
Thursday 17th July 2008, 12:24
I have to agree with the above my old 850 T5 stock did 147 mph on the speedo flat out volvo claimed 149 mph for the T5 and 155 for R with no aero dynamics and around 1500 kg and only 225 -250 bhp 155 would be about the max anyway, to get behond 155 you need a remap and a good condition car and not to much heat! My old P1 did hit 160 mph speedo once and 156 mph on the GPS but that was with a 19t and map although Im sure there was more left I didnt have the oportunity as my runway was running out!

cameron
Thursday 17th July 2008, 13:45
Im not really bothered about the top end it was just a curiosity moment, im happy just dusting scobbys of the lights and seeing their faces when they get beat by a near on 1 3/4 tonne estate car, i love my brick, my mrs calls it the other element to our relationship. LOL

Jod T5
Thursday 17th July 2008, 14:54
IIRC the speed is electronically limited to 155mph and TC is correct the the rica hardware removes the limiter.
Last time i looked VT were offering a diy ecu with various safeguards removed. Fun but a disaster in the wrong hands..lol
cheers
jod

Storm-Troll
Friday 18th July 2008, 00:49

This is true, But I have an Automatic R. and even though the Speed Limiter was removed with the Re Map,, The Limiter built into the Auto Box was not. as its in the Box itself sooooo.. Look into it mate.. as Even though I got no Speed Limiter.. Im still limited Physically to 155 by the Gearbox Limiter.... Tried and Tested (OFFROAD of Coarse). and its stops at 155 on the Box Limiter.........http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k29/stormhawk7/Smilies/darn_it.gif