PDA

View Full Version : Spare wheel subs....

Babybadger
Tuesday 15th July 2008, 14:06
I have just acquired a pioneer ts-wx50a spare wheel sub off ebay, don't want a headache job just to make a difference on the bottom end. Question is, will this fit in the space saver wheel, as I have the 7 seat option in the 850? Anyone else done this? Only other thing is to drop it in a box or fit it under passenger seat....

Cheers in advance.....

Also where should I run the feeds on an old 850 estate (pre-OBD2) and take the power from?

How easy is it to remove the centre console?

Babybadger
Wednesday 16th July 2008, 12:22
Any suggestions?

Ed.
Thursday 17th July 2008, 13:29
Power should be taken directly from the battery at the front of the car. You must fuse your power cable quite closely to the battery, this is for you and your vehicle's safety as a short could end up causing a fire. For this install i would be looking at using 8awg cabling.

I found a grommet going through the firewall on the passenger side of the car. I was able to enlarge the hole in the grommet for the power cable that i was using (much thicker than what you will need). This then feeds in behind the glovebox and into the passenger footwell. You need to remove the trim under the glovebox and trims that hold the carpet down the side of the car, this would be easier than removing the centre console, etc.

Remove your headunit and plug in the RCAs. You will also need to cable from the "remote out" of the headunit as this will tell your active sub when to switch on and off. Feed these cable out of the back of the dash and out into the passenger footwell. Route your cabling down the side of the car under the carpets and rear passenger seats into the boot. There is a risk of noise or alternator whine when you route power and RCA cables together, however this can be eliminated by using shielded RCA cables.

Once you have the cables in the boot, it is just a case of wiring up your sub and putting the trims back after you have finished and tested it. Earth the amp by removing a nut on the chassis and sanding it down for a good contact.

I do have step by step pictures of the install i put in my 855 earlier this year. I will try and post them up later if you wish.

HTH

Ed

Babybadger
Friday 18th July 2008, 15:06
Power should be taken directly from the battery at the front of the car. You must fuse your power cable quite closely to the battery, this is for you and your vehicle's safety as a short could end up causing a fire. For this install i would be looking at using 8awg cabling.

I found a grommet going through the firewall on the passenger side of the car. I was able to enlarge the hole in the grommet for the power cable that i was using (much thicker than what you will need). This then feeds in behind the glovebox and into the passenger footwell. You need to remove the trim under the glovebox and trims that hold the carpet down the side of the car, this would be easier than removing the centre console, etc.

Remove your headunit and plug in the RCAs. You will also need to cable from the "remote out" of the headunit as this will tell your active sub when to switch on and off. Feed these cable out of the back of the dash and out into the passenger footwell. Route your cabling down the side of the car under the carpets and rear passenger seats into the boot. There is a risk of noise or alternator whine when you route power and RCA cables together, however this can be eliminated by using shielded RCA cables.

Once you have the cables in the boot, it is just a case of wiring up your sub and putting the trims back after you have finished and tested it. Earth the amp by removing a nut on the chassis and sanding it down for a good contact.

I do have step by step pictures of the install i put in my 855 earlier this year. I will try and post them up later if you wish.

HTH

Ed

Thanks for that Ed, is there towbar (with inline fuse) wiring I could use instead of the direct to battery? It would be slightly easier.

joesc70
Saturday 19th July 2008, 01:04
no have to go directly to batt as mentioned above have fuseholder as close to battery as possible

oh and when grounding if you have to drill check and double check so u dont drill into fuel tank

Babybadger
Friday 25th July 2008, 12:38
I think I will take the hassle out and run a 12v negative wire as well to the battery ;-)

I am just stumped on the route of the wiring through the firewall.....I can't see a gromet on the passenger side to go through, mine is LHD though.....

Babybadger
Friday 25th July 2008, 12:40

HTH

Ed

Yes please mate, I may see where the grommet is on yours.....

Babybadger
Saturday 26th July 2008, 22:44
No worries, my ,mate fitted it today......transpired it used to have a premium system with an amp system......my mate took the feed from here.....it sounds awesome........These should have been standard on Volvo's or at least an option on them then.....

If you need to save space , but want a bit more bottom look out for these........