PDA

View Full Version : Funny very slow speed breaking judder

Tiny 12
Monday 14th July 2008, 14:39
Hi

how you doing?

I have just noticed that my 854 is making a funny noise when breaking:

When the car is breaking and am almost stopped (walking pace to standstill) there is a funny judder feel through the pedal until the car stops. I have tried this out at higher speeds and there is no problem the breaks are good and strong as normal.

Is this something wrong with the ABS or is it a warped disk ect, any ideas?

Some one posted a similar question the other day, because I thought “oh mine did that the other day” (since then it has become more frequent), but I cant find the thread.

Thanks

Tiny 12
Monday 14th July 2008, 14:41
The car is a 1995 854 T5 manual (ex old bill) if that makes any difference.

readview
Monday 14th July 2008, 15:21
Hi,the judder you describe is the abs system kicking in and working when it shouldent be,this is usually caused by either a crack in one of the sensor rings or a build up of corrosion on one of the rings,this causes the car to read two teeth as one and it thinks it has gone in to a skid,therefore activating the abs.Should be a fairly straightforward fix although it can take a while to find the culprit.

Tiny 12
Monday 14th July 2008, 15:28
so if i replace the sensor rings it should go away??

Adge
Monday 14th July 2008, 15:52
Useful as I'm having same problem. Is there a "How to or piccies please?

readview
Monday 14th July 2008, 16:03
You may not need to replace them unless they are cracked or have really really bad corrosion,you may find they just need a good wire brush and descale.I am not aware of another thread including pics but it is not too uncommon so there may well be one somewhere here.If you pm rufe he may be able to fix you up with the procedure diagrams for replacement which you will need to follow part way at least to do the cleaning job.
Hope this helps,Adam.

entwisi
Monday 14th July 2008, 20:04
when my rear pads were getting low I had similar feel through teh pedal. worth checking how much meat is left on them.

GLTease
Tuesday 15th July 2008, 11:15
when my rear pads were getting low I had similar feel through teh pedal. worth checking how much meat is left on them.

Dont just blame the ABS, I had the exact same issue turned out to be warped rear discs, the ABS sensors had also been changed with no affect.

nobananas
Tuesday 15th July 2008, 18:54
Perhaps pulling the abs fuse or similar to completely shut off the abs system would give you an indication as to whether the abs is the culprit. If the shudder goes away with the abs disarmed then it's the problem.

readview
Tuesday 15th July 2008, 21:23
Good call !

Adge
Wednesday 16th July 2008, 11:45
Perhaps pulling the abs fuse or similar to completely shut off the abs system would give you an indication as to whether the abs is the culprit. If the shudder goes away with the abs disarmed then it's the problem.

Useful bit of common sense/logic applied. Thanks!

Jod T5
Thursday 17th July 2008, 16:02
i would start by checking that the electical connector plug on the abs ecu is connected properly, remove and clean the connections with electrical cleaner.
The reluctor ring is possably damaged however it may also be possable there is a wiring fault which effected iirc phase 2 850's >MY96. You could do a cold resistance check on the cables to the front sensors. It may read 200 ohms + where it should be less than 1 ohm.
cheers
jod

g-wagon
Sunday 20th July 2008, 21:16
Did you get this sorted mate? I have experienced this recently. It is only coming from the back though.

Is this the same as you?

Tiny 12
Friday 25th July 2008, 11:21
I cleaned the calipers, deglazed the pads and re-bled the brakes and got a load of crud off the ABS ring doobury and it works a dream

...mine were on the front.

Tiny 12
Friday 25th July 2008, 11:24
Alos would like to say thanks to you guys for helpign me out her and making what i feard would be a pain in the ass an easy fix (dont get many of them to the ££)!

also found out my 854 has 302 disc's.............tidy!!!!