PDA

View Full Version : what oil do you use

jonno12
Monday 14th July 2008, 14:34
i have a 854 t5 and was told by a shop to put in 10/40 but it has a knocking noise since i did this and am now needing another oilchange which is really peeing me off now so any advice will be good as im a new owner and have no idea

Rufe
Monday 14th July 2008, 15:30
10w 40 semi synthetic is the correct oil listed for your car mate

jonno12
Monday 14th July 2008, 15:32
if i put thinner in it could it stop the knocking noise as i have been told by some one they use 5w/30 fully in theirs

Rufe
Monday 14th July 2008, 15:37
thinner oil will probably make any knocking worse mate

jonno12
Monday 14th July 2008, 15:38
ok cheers mate i think it is a tappety noise but also was wondering if it could be a blocked channel and should i try a oil additive before i start stripping it down

jonno12
Monday 14th July 2008, 15:41
or any other surgestions you may have or is it a defonate tappet failier if so i will be ordering them from you just waiting for loan to come in then im set but would rather try othr things first

Alan M
Monday 14th July 2008, 15:54
Before removing the oil buy yourself some wynn oil flush and use that, as per the instructions on the tin. Its good stuff.

jonno12
Monday 14th July 2008, 16:04
cheers al will do just hope it works

Alan M
Monday 14th July 2008, 17:39
The engine flush helps with noisy cam followers aswell. It quietens them down quite a bit by unblocking or removing debri from any build up points, it did mine a treat before I changed them. Make sure you follow the instructions religiously though.

CONDYBOY
Monday 14th July 2008, 17:48
Flush it and use a decent semi, before spending more than may be needed. Remember to change the oil filter when you've done the flush!

jonno12
Monday 14th July 2008, 17:50
thanks condy ive just got another but might sell on i did the oil change last week but was sent cheap crap oil so ill try somink a bit dearer this time i think and hope fully it will sort it out

tomtyres
Monday 14th July 2008, 20:02
I've been told (i'm sure i'll get corrected!) that if a car has covered very high miles, (150 000 +) then you should use a slightly higher viscosity oil?
normally 10 - 40,
high miles 15 - 40,
Starship 20 - 60?

Terminator
Monday 14th July 2008, 20:42
Go for a well known make like Fuchs, Castrol or Mobil.

I use Fuchs Titan 10w40 which is good quality and reasonably priced, especially if you buy it in 20 litre drums.

Try www.opieoils.co.uk

Tomcat
Monday 14th July 2008, 21:01
Being as mine looses quite a bit(I will get it fixed soon honest), I only tend to use halfords brand oil, it's fairly cheap.

cameron
Monday 14th July 2008, 21:26
I now use Castrol GTX Magnatec after some useless asian lad filled it with diesel oil 15W 30 for turbo and non turbo diesel engines the fool. Aparently though the diesel oil is full of detergents and cleans the engine out, but too good, so it can cause the engine to burn oil. it was in mine for about 50 miles and now i can smell diesel oil burning every time i drive it for a bit GGGRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!, ive got a filter just not had time to change it. Job for the next day off me thinks.

CONDYBOY
Tuesday 15th July 2008, 00:25
DIesel oil aint good for a petrol car!
I only use castrol magnatec for my diesel Because I rebuilt a Nissan 200sx with forged pistons new cylinder sleeves uprated cams and uprated connrods and after 1000miles run in my brother in-law came back saying that the power was ££££e, tha magnatec was so good it stopped the piston rings bedding in to the cylinder sleeves, and had coated everything with a thin varnishy coat. One week and a lot of brake cleaner later the car was back on the road with the cheapest of cheap oil for the run in then back to castrol magnatec and engine was fine.

Tomcat
Tuesday 15th July 2008, 00:30
I used to use the VW diesel oil in my T5, it was some sort of exotic blend that cost a bloody fortune(about £25 a litre), I had a friend who worked for them in the service dept, he used to collect the odd litre here and there until I had enough for an oil change. It was damn good stuff too, too good for a diesel.

cameron
Tuesday 15th July 2008, 10:05
This is the oil i now use..........................

Jod T5
Thursday 17th July 2008, 15:16
The most important thing IMO is frequency of change. I change my oil and filter every 5k, without fail. I use 10/40 semi from halfords (green can). the car has just gone past 191k never having had the engine opened or the 15g off.......
cheers
jod