PDA

View Full Version : Cruise control sounds horn ???

RobbieH
Monday 14th July 2008, 14:05
Here's a puzzler I could do with some help with please.

My cruise control appears to have gone u/s. Pressing the cruise button on the steering wheel now sounds the horns and the "CRUISE" light on the dash doesn't appear :confused:.

Any bright ideas?

Would resetting the brain (the car's not mine, that's beyond repair :cuckoo:) help? If so how is this done? I seem to remember a thread on VOC (by Mo / S60MBS) talking about this.

Rufe
Monday 14th July 2008, 14:22
sounds like a problem within the steering wheel controls, or possibly the slip ring (contact unit) behind the steering wheel? never heard of the horn sounding when pressing the cruise switch though i will be honest

S60-MBS
Monday 14th July 2008, 14:34
sounds like a problem within the steering wheel controls, or possibly the slip ring (contact unit) behind the steering wheel? never heard of the horn sounding when pressing the cruise switch though i will be honest

Here's a puzzler I could do with some help with please.

My cruise control appears to have gone u/s. Pressing the cruise button on the steering wheel now sounds the horns and the "CRUISE" light on the dash doesn't appear :confused:.

Any bright ideas?

Would resetting the brain (the car's not mine, that's beyond repair :cuckoo:) help? If so how is this done? I seem to remember a thread on VOC (by Mo / S60MBS) talking about this.

Avery strange one indeed,never come across this before,i suspect there may be a earthing issue somewhere along the contact reel.Resetting the brain cant do any harm ,you can give it a go by removing battery negative lead overnight

regards
Mo

RobbieH
Monday 14th July 2008, 18:41
Rufe, Mo,

Thanks for the info. I'll give the reset a go, sounds like the easiest to do first.
Not too sure I like the sound (no pun intended :)) of an earth issue with the contact ring. How do you get to that bit? I assume some dis-assembly of the streeing wheel is required (airbags, etc worry me slightly to say the least :yikes:)?

Wombatbomb
Monday 14th July 2008, 18:53
Rufe, Mo,

Thanks for the info. I'll give the reset a go, sounds like the easiest to do first.
Not too sure I like the sound (no pun intended :)) of an earth issue with the contact ring. How do you get to that bit? I assume some dis-assembly of the streeing wheel is required (airbags, etc worry me slightly to say the least :yikes:)?

Just make sure the battery is dosconnected for a while before you go anywhere near disconnecting an airbag, otherwise you owe a Volvo dealer £30 to turn the SRS light off.

RobbieH
Tuesday 15th July 2008, 13:48
Anyone got any instructions how to get to the sender ring to have a look?

Is the Haynes book of lies worth reading?

S60-MBS
Tuesday 15th July 2008, 14:25
pm sent

RobbieH
Tuesday 15th July 2008, 17:56
pm sent

pm returned with thanks.
Robbie:Handshake

Terminator
Tuesday 15th July 2008, 18:04
I would concur with a worn slip (sender) ring. An outside chance could be the ignition switch.

RobbieH
Tuesday 15th July 2008, 20:38
I would concur with a worn slip (sender) ring. An outside chance could be the ignition switch.

Worn at 58,128 miles?

If it is worn what's the likely damage to replace it and is a job for someone like me who's even got worries about starting to look inside the steering wheel, what with airbags, etc.

Terminator
Thursday 17th July 2008, 17:16
Worn at 58,128 miles?

If it is worn what's the likely damage to replace it and is a job for someone like me who's even got worries about starting to look inside the steering wheel, what with airbags, etc.

Get a quote from Rufe (Simon) at FRF for the part. The contacts are of very thin diameter and can corrode causing abnormally quick wear. Providing you disconnect the negative terminal of your battery and wait a couple of minutes before removing air bag connectors you will be fine!