PDA

View Full Version : Custom made cat-back TOO QUIET!

sizzlechest
Tuesday 19th April 2005, 07:02
Hello, I had a cat-back exhaust fitted yesterday at Cybox Custom Exhausts on the Wirral. It was cheap at £250 Inc VAT and fitting. It looks the business from the back end but it's not much louder than stock! They put on a two boxes - one to replace the existing one near the cat and one at the tail end.

I may have the box near the cat removed and have it straight through to the tail end back box.

For anyone who has had a custom cat back, how is yours configured?

Chris

fraz13
Tuesday 19th April 2005, 09:44
Av only got the CAT and rear box, no middle box but what a will say is if you do a lot of motorway driving you might wanna leave the middle box in place, wait til Stretton Fox, have a look/listen/drive in a few, see what you think but mines well loud, sometimes a wish it was a bit quieter :wink:

siamblue
Tuesday 19th April 2005, 09:50
Mine is fitted with a cat back too,The previous owner wanted to get the emmisions down or as close to 0 as possible,You can't even hear my exhaust.My valves make more noise on start up lol.

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 19th April 2005, 11:29
My TME is a single cylindrical back box in the position where the "suitcase" used to be.

The noise is growly enough to be interesting but not obtrusive and you cannot hear it above 3000rpm in the car.

sizzlechest
Tuesday 19th April 2005, 18:06
Thanks for the messages. Like Fraz says, I'll wait for Stretton Fox before deciding what I'm going to remove if anything.

v6en
Tuesday 19th April 2005, 19:47
It takes a bit of time for the inside of the pipe to get dirty, when it does the sound becomes more impressive, as we noticed when ross got his mongoose exhaust. it sounded very growly straight away but about a week later you could really hear the difference!

i just got a custom exhaust fitted to my s40 on sunday and it has both the boxes that you mentioned. it sounds really nice too, if you're still not happy with it after a week or so why don't you go back and tell the garage, they might be able to sort it out easily enough?

jacq.

stuAWD
Saturday 23rd April 2005, 20:07
Hello, I had a cat-back exhaust fitted yesterday at Cybox Custom Exhausts on the Wirral. It was cheap at £250 Inc VAT and fitting. It looks the business from the back end but it's not much louder than stock! They put on a two boxes - one to replace the existing one near the cat and one at the tail end.

I may have the box near the cat removed and have it straight through to the tail end back box.

For anyone who has had a custom cat back, how is yours configured?

Chris
Just had my V70 R AWD done from cat back in stainless, by Performance Heaven at Bredbury, Stockport. They use powerflow parts. Its configured with two boxes one each side behind the rear axle, Y piece splitter before first box, ends in twin tailpipes one each side, sounds nice not to loud, bit between a purr and a growl. Cost £401 and a few pence.

jim.covers
Thursday 5th May 2005, 15:23
Just had my V70 R AWD done from cat back in stainless, by Performance Heaven at Bredbury, Stockport. They use powerflow parts. Its configured with two boxes one each side behind the rear axle, Y piece splitter before first box, ends in twin tailpipes one each side, sounds nice not to loud, bit between a purr and a growl. Cost £401 and a few pence.

Stu,

Just got off the phone to Mark @ Performance Heaven.

I'm thinking of having a twin tailpipes (on each side) fitted on mine.

You recommend them? they do a decent job?

I'm trying to find time to pop down tomorrow, want something, erm not too loud but not quiet :bricks: will know it when i hear it.

Any1 got anything good/bad to say about having tiwns fitted? Should i just stick with the single?

Will it effect my Rica?

ta.
Jim.

mikej
Thursday 5th May 2005, 16:02
Had a 3" catback with two box,s sounded like stock went back and had the middle removed at no cost,now sounds bloody awsom but boy do i wish i,d left the middle box on cannot hear a bloody thing on the motorway etc.Try longlife if you go for mild sport and are not happy with the sound they will redo it for you for free!!!!!!!!!

siamblue
Friday 13th May 2005, 10:19
I have just sold my wheels so have some Exhaust vouchers to spend,Haha,
Other half don't know yet, But i can sell my 12 month old cat back and cat/downpipe,
Longlife are doing a special offer,Buy a cat back in stainless for £250 fitted,Then you have the option of a standard cat @£99 or a high flow sports cat @£179 at the same time the exhaust if purchased,
Think i might go for a single box system with a sports cat, :B_steerin

Fraz is the noise really that bad and at what speed? I expect it to drone like mad :riceboy:

fraz13
Friday 13th May 2005, 12:57
When the guy that built ma system makes one its "all" hand crafted, he starts with straight pipe and flat sheet metal

The boxes are made from flat sheet, ends are cut either round or oval and obviously it depending on the length of the box he thinks you need thats what he cuts, no ready made boxes there....

He then packs the box with the baffles..the more in the louder the sound, the less the quieter.... so a believe....

A just let him go ahead with whatever he thought and dont get me wrong a love the noise it makes, just not everybodys taste, and sometimes it can get a bit 2 much, specially when the engines labouring but it is a bit over powering at most speeds, just aswell av got good choons and am no really interested in what ma passengers have 2 say lol

siamblue
Friday 13th May 2005, 14:20
How much did you pay Fraz for both was it a high flow sports cat or standard?

fraz13
Friday 13th May 2005, 14:26
A paid £300 for the cat back system so the original cats still in place, the reason a like his work is coz a no its good stainless and its built by hand there and then, the only "off the shelf" parts he uses are the tail pipes that you choose, thats the second system he's made for me and been delighted by both

siamblue
Friday 13th May 2005, 18:09
Thanks Fraz for that, I will go Longlife because they use good grade Stainless and are gauranteed for life, Any probs with the zorst and they sort it out for free.
Plus it's £250 fitted for a cat back which is bloody good.

fraz13
Friday 13th May 2005, 18:22
Yip at that price ye cant go wrong, only thing is with ready made boxes you cant specify volume, look 4ward to seeing the finished result :D

SaffronC70
Friday 13th May 2005, 18:37
I have to say, I'm tempted by a custom back box (ie none) that comes from the middle suitcase silencer - just not sure how loud it'll become !

Chris

Pedro Fandango
Saturday 14th May 2005, 14:37
i'm sure my standard system only had the cat & the suitcase so shouldn't be to bad