PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on my front upper spring seats please

itguy
Saturday 12th July 2008, 15:11
Hi Everyone

I'm trying to find the source of some knocking and occasional spring 'twang' from the front end of my car. I've found that I need a new ARB drop link today, but I thought I'd drop out the struts on both sides to check the spring seats and inspect for cracking etc.

I couldnt find any cracks in the seats but I could find some strange looking angles of the bearing plate and also the rubber (in the photos attached, shown with the red arrows) appears to be 'torn'. It's certainly not fully detached but it doesn't look normal to me.

Any opinions please!

I am currently thinking replace just the spring seats on both sides and the ARB drop link I've found to be knocking.

Cheers

Will.

itguy
Sunday 13th July 2008, 12:33
Right - ARB replaced and knocking now gone.

Thing is though - should I still replace the spring mounts?

Tomcat
Sunday 13th July 2008, 13:46
How many miles have they done?, if it's a lot then it may be worth replacing them while you have them off the car.

gazbak1
Sunday 13th July 2008, 14:07
the angles that you have pointed at are normal but while there out you may aswell replace them just for your peace of mind.

gazbak1

itguy
Sunday 13th July 2008, 18:07
Ha! Replace while they are out - oops! Struts refitted to car now :)

I only took them out yesterday to inspect and see if anything was out of place etc.

They have done 75k.

I'll add some to my pfvonline order or get some from rufe and fit next w/e

itguy
Sunday 13th July 2008, 18:08
I also presume I'll need the front toe checking after doing this?

dooby
Monday 14th July 2008, 11:14
Hiya,

if it's anything like my 850 I think it'll be camber that's affected. If you've not messed with the track rod ends I think toe should be unchanged?

HTH, Pete

itguy
Monday 14th July 2008, 11:27
now that is interesting - I have noticed a bit of dodgy wear on my front tyres and gave it no more thought really (wear on the middle, like they are over inflated but they arn't!), and I haven't changed a TRE yet either.

I was also getting a bit of tramlining too, so I wonder if these may help that.

Adge
Monday 14th July 2008, 16:00
I also presume I'll need the front toe checking after doing this?
Had to replace mine at about 70k miles. One was disintegrating (nearside), other in good condition but repalced anyway!

itguy
Monday 14th July 2008, 16:22
Excellent, makes it sound about right on mine

CONDYBOY
Tuesday 15th July 2008, 21:40
Get your front end measured by a garage with 3D wheel alignment it aint cheap it was around £63 where i used to work (Target Tyres in Perth) but the equipment measures every possible angle and if adjustable the guys should sort it all out.