PDA

View Full Version : Knocking fom the rear

pete_rallye
Saturday 12th July 2008, 10:39
Hi guys, I have an 02 V70 D5 SE with 130k on it. Just recently it has developed a knocking when you go over bumps and the like. It seems to be coming from the rear drivers side, although a noise can also be heard when the passenger side wheel goes over the bump. You can't hear it from inside the car, it is only when the window is down it can be heard, but it is quite loud, and has a definate metallic ring to it. I have removed both shocks and they compress and return to full length smoothly (should I be able to compres them by hand?) and I have disconnected the ARB to make sure it isn't the drop links or bushes. This leads me to believe tha it must be one of the subframe or arm bushes?

A few ques if you don't mind-

Does anyone know how much a Volvo dealer would charge for replacing all the rear end bushes?

If I do it myself are there any special tools I need? I am confident working on cars but I am going away next saturday for the week and need it doing by then!

Is it likely to be a bush or is there anything else that would need checking?

Loads of thanks in advance for your help!

Wombatbomb
Saturday 12th July 2008, 11:29
Hmmm....not quite what i was expecting in this thread having seen the title :rotfl:

jimka
Saturday 12th July 2008, 16:14
expensive and bush related i expect.
I know the s40 requiresa special tool, not sure on the 850's..bush replacement can be a nightmare without presses though.

I had the front of the bushes replaced (trailing arm) on my old s40 (made a similar noise) came to around 200quid from a local garage