PDA

View Full Version : stainless downpipe

macV70R
Monday 18th April 2005, 20:10
Anyone know where I can get a stainless downpipe for my 97 v70r? it is the awd model & i have tried a couple of places but no joy....

I am thinking about getting one on when I get my ecu upgrade done.. :haha:

Thanks

spesh
Monday 18th April 2005, 21:14
Is yours the 3 inch type from the turbo?

macV70R
Monday 18th April 2005, 21:40
not sure mate, will have to check.... :slap:

spesh
Monday 18th April 2005, 21:44
To be honest mate, won't really gain you any bhp if you already have a 3 inch on, why do you wanna change it?

macV70R
Monday 18th April 2005, 21:53
yes, I do already have the 3" downpipe, Thought a stainless downpipe may of improved hp?

macV70R
Monday 18th April 2005, 21:54
with a sports cat maybe?

spesh
Monday 18th April 2005, 22:16
I got mine custom made in Cardiff, but I do belive a few companys make them for the T-5s, not sure there names though, sports cat with the stainless will make an improvment!!!!!! I paid £140 for my downpipe if thats any good to you!!

macV70R
Monday 18th April 2005, 22:27
thanks spesh :cool:

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 19th April 2005, 00:04
There is no point in having a stainless dp as they never rust anyway - they get too hot. In fact the whole exhaust never rusts appart from the rear most hangers. The cat is not really a restriction unless you are running a remap, in which case there is a good arguement for fitting a race cat e.g. ferrita.

v6en
Tuesday 19th April 2005, 01:06
The cat is the most restrictive part of the exhaust, but simply whipping that out can give an unsightly check engine light, so getting a sports cat is another way of still passing your MOT whilst getting a few more BHP. they're not that cheap unfortunatley, but seem to be worth it. if your downpipe is not restrictive looking, which it probably isn't then i wouldn't recommend going to the added expense of stainless.

jacq.

jacq.

macV70R
Tuesday 19th April 2005, 07:27
I think I will have a chat with a couple of suppliers & see if it is worth it, they are not cheap so I need to find out what extra bhp (if any) it will acheive.... :shockedbi

bigndaft
Tuesday 19th April 2005, 12:10
Are you sure you have a 3" downpipe already?...cos i've been looking everywhere for a replacement sports highflow cat/downpipe and nobody has one or makes one, i was told that on the AWD a 3" won't fit because on the right hand drive model the steering column gets in the way :pants: the AWD down pipe is completely different from the FWD, the only option was to take mine off and use as a template to have one made. my local stealer only had a standard cat/downpipe and that was £600 + :insane: my exhaust was butchered by the previous owner and dont have a cat :slap: Let me know if you find one.

After_Shock
Tuesday 19th April 2005, 15:10
Mac go and See AAS in Newcastle, 0191 2673718 at the end of scottswood road and ask for stu.

They did my downpipe and have done other member cars on here and can fit race cats in if you want, adds about 10bhp without a re-amp and sounds nicer too. They used my C70 T5 as an experiment at the time by de-catting it but the car didnt like it!

Anyway their nice blokes and give a really good service, materials are much better than the likes of powerflow and they have experience of a number of T5's, mine had the same turbo fitted as yours so they will be used to it, oh and their good value!

misterpeck
Tuesday 19th April 2005, 16:35
You should also try VT got a quote for mine and it was around £545+ vat for s/s down pipe and sports cat. Then to complete the system it was £290 + vat for s/s cat back.

macV70R
Tuesday 19th April 2005, 17:26
Mac go and See AAS in Newcastle, 0191 2673718 at the end of scottswood road and ask for stu.

They did my downpipe and have done other member cars on here and can fit race cats in if you want, adds about 10bhp without a re-amp and sounds nicer too. They used my C70 T5 as an experiment at the time by de-catting it but the car didnt like it!

Anyway their nice blokes and give a really good service, materials are much better than the likes of powerflow and they have experience of a number of T5's, mine had the same turbo fitted as yours so they will be used to it, oh and their good value!

Cheers for that, I will check it out. Do you know how much you payed for it?

Mac

macV70R
Tuesday 19th April 2005, 17:28
Are you sure you have a 3" downpipe already?...cos i've been looking everywhere for a replacement sports highflow cat/downpipe and nobody has one or makes one, i was told that on the AWD a 3" won't fit because on the right hand drive model the steering column gets in the way :pants: the AWD down pipe is completely different from the FWD, the only option was to take mine off and use as a template to have one made. my local stealer only had a standard cat/downpipe and that was £600 + :insane: my exhaust was butchered by the previous owner and dont have a cat :slap: Let me know if you find one.

Thats right mate, the AWD down pipe is different & it wont go on a right hand car, I will chase a couple of people local to me & let you know.

Mac :rice:

After_Shock
Wednesday 20th April 2005, 13:30
Im not sure what they will charge as it depends on how much the batch of cats has cost they have got in, probably be looking at £250 - 300ish fitted but dont quote me on it!

macV70R
Wednesday 20th April 2005, 20:56
phoned him today & he will do a custom stainless with sports cat for £280 inc vat & fitting

Mac

After_Shock
Wednesday 20th April 2005, 21:31
Pop along and see them, they use proper mandrel bending machines and the stainless is really high quality, had mine on about 8months and it turned a lovely blue/purple colour just a shame could never see it! Also their was no sign of rust anywhere on the downpipe and the supposedly stainless steel supersprint exhaust I had fitted the same time had rusted all the way along underneath!

spesh
Wednesday 20th April 2005, 21:42
phoned him today & he will do a custom stainless with sports cat for £280 inc vat & fitting

Mac

FLIPPING ECK that is megga cheap cheap!!!!
Do you know wat cat it is and how many sqaures per sqaure inch the cat is, as the standard T5 cat is 400 sps inch??????

After_Shock
Wednesday 20th April 2005, 21:51
I cant remember the exact cat they used on mine as it was a 3' in and 3' out cat which was from memory a 100cell one, said they can get them with less in but would probably set off the warning light!

bigndaft
Thursday 21st April 2005, 12:22
Hi mac, if that is right £280 all in :) I am definatelly interested in having one. Its worth a day off and drive up to Newcastle for that price. I take it that it would be 2.5" downpipe for the AWD ?...will it have the four lambda points? let me know if its all looking good cos they will have to make a few of them.
:B_steerin

Tony

After_Shock
Thursday 21st April 2005, 14:44
A member on the other VT5 site before it shut down came upto Newcastle to get two done on two different cars with race cats, im really sorry if your on here but I cannot for the life of me remember your user name!

bigndaft they will do 3' if they can get it to fit if not they will try the next size down pipe they do until they get to the biggest that fits and yes that includes all the lambda points and all fitted etc.

bigndaft
Thursday 21st April 2005, 15:19
Thanks after_shock :worship: I've been on to Stu at AAS and it sounds good...he hasn't done one for the AWD (yet) but he's confident that there won't be a problem, he needs to see the car first so I'm hoping Mac is going to go for it (be the guinea pig...sorry mac :ashamed: ) he said he might set up a jig for them if he gets enough enquiries. Thanks guys, this could be a result at long last :B_steerin
Tony

After_Shock
Thursday 21st April 2005, 16:29
As I say he did one on my car at the time which has the same turbo fitted as yours, just obviously the AWD is a bit of a tighter space!

They have done a few now so shouldnt be a problem. Its not exactly around the corner for you but would be worth the trip!

macV70R
Sunday 24th April 2005, 20:22
Thanks after_shock :worship: I've been on to Stu at AAS and it sounds good...he hasn't done one for the AWD (yet) but he's confident that there won't be a problem, he needs to see the car first so I'm hoping Mac is going to go for it (be the guinea pig...sorry mac :ashamed: ) he said he might set up a jig for them if he gets enough enquiries. Thanks guys, this could be a result at long last :B_steerin
Tony

Hi,
will be going up this week to sort it out.... will let you know the outcome..

Sorry for the late reply.....beeen drunk for four days!!!!!

Back to reality tommorow......... :slap:

Mac

After_Shock
Sunday 24th April 2005, 20:26
Sounds like a good session!

macV70R
Sunday 24th April 2005, 21:50
It has been!!

& we are off to prague for a stag doooo next weekend!! my liver is gonna be pickled!

:bricks:

After_Shock
Monday 25th April 2005, 22:16
Not a good session if your liver doesnt suffer!

Let us know how you get on with the Downpipe!

the_elusive_flatfish
Thursday 28th April 2005, 15:44
make sure you go to darlings and atlas in prague

macV70R
Thursday 28th April 2005, 18:45
been to both & they are great!! :jaw:

the_elusive_flatfish
Thursday 28th April 2005, 20:14
it would be easy to blow your downpipe money in darlings wouldn't it!!!

macV70R
Saturday 7th May 2005, 20:11
it would be easy to blow your downpipe money in darlings wouldn't it!!!

Downpipe money gone...for now!!!

have to wait a week or so.......... :nutkick:

Mac

After_Shock
Saturday 7th May 2005, 20:13
You got it booked in yet to get done!

macV70R
Saturday 7th May 2005, 20:36
You got it booked in yet to get done!

Been busy at work, so hopefully get it checked this week coming to see if it can be made. If not I could always try & make one myself!!

Mac

macV70R
Monday 9th May 2005, 20:56
gonna pop in to see stu at AAS tommorow to see what he can do !!

Hopefully it shouldnt b to much trouble, but Ive been told you have to notch the bash gaurd & squash the pipe etc. So I will just have to see....

Mac. :wiggle:

Gwaredd
Tuesday 10th May 2005, 08:51
As has been said earlier in this thread, changing your downpipe from cast to mild steel, stainless or carbon fibre won't make any BHP difference at all as if it's already 3" & you're not going any bigger, all it will do is look different when you open the bonnet. It's a bling thing.

If it's looks you're after, change it, if it's BHP, leave it & buy some proven race CAT's.

Cheers,

Gwaredd.

After_Shock
Tuesday 10th May 2005, 18:55
Yeah but none of the standard ones are 3' anyway.

If in the AWD's case you cant fit a 3' in one and your changing the cat to a race one then why not change the down pipe to a fully stainless one at the same time, wont exactly cost much more and its alot easier than chopping the standard down pipe and cat to bits.

macV70R
Tuesday 10th May 2005, 22:40
Hi boys,

booked my car in at AAS for a stainless downpipe & sports cat, it looks a tricky task but hes gonna do it. Not sure on the price yet but a ball park figure is £280-£380 tops.They have to do some serious manipulation to get it in!!

Will keep you upto date on how things go...
The earliest he could get me in is 3rd of april!!!

Later.

Mac :B_thumb:

macV70R
Tuesday 10th May 2005, 22:42
Hi boys,

booked my car in at AAS for a stainless downpipe & sports cat, it looks a tricky task but hes gonna do it. Not sure on the price yet but a ball park figure is £280-£380 tops.They have to do some serious manipulation to get it in!!

Will keep you upto date on how things go...
The earliest he could get me in is 3rd of april!!!

Later.

Mac :B_thumb:

I mean 3rd June!!

After_Shock
Tuesday 10th May 2005, 23:43
Was gonna say, I know their busy but next year!

macV70R
Tuesday 10th May 2005, 23:47
Met Stu, he is a sound bloke & seems to know the score. He has done some t5's already & he said you can even achieve 10-12 hp this way!!

This first & see what its like ,then maybe a re-map when I get some more cash!!

:B_steerin

After_Shock
Tuesday 10th May 2005, 23:49
Yeah hes done quite a few now, I know when mine was done with a full exhaust it increased the power by 15bhp without a re-map so was quite happy, certainly sounds alot nicer aswell with the race cats in!

macV70R
Wednesday 11th May 2005, 00:13
look forward to it :funkybana

macV70R
Thursday 2nd June 2005, 22:29
Well, the beast goes in for surgery in the morn..lets hope I am driving back with a nice growl!! & a bit more power if I'm lucky. I have opted for the full stainless with a hi-flow cat (stainless)

Will keep you lot posted. :B_thumb:

Mac.

macV70R
Thursday 16th June 2005, 22:17
Sorry for the delay on this reply, its been a bit busy up here! Ok, I got my high flow cat done at AAS in newcastle and have to say he has done a cracking job of it. Unfortunately I was unable to get the downpipe made of stainless due to the difficulty in taking everything off (he didnt want to risk takin my car to bits!) So as I said I went for the stainless hi-flow cat & it is spot on.The car has a much deeper growl when ticking over, and when you open it up it sounds great! Would def reccommend him...All in all it was £140.00 inc vat.

Later.... :haha:

John Ret.
Thursday 16th June 2005, 22:37
Great stuff, any noticable power gains?

I was thinking of geting a straight through cat, but this engine check light doesn't sound too good. Has onyone with a straight system got this problem?

Are there any places on the net with sports cats, might be worth looking into.

elliot
Thursday 16th June 2005, 22:55
I have an AAS downpipe the cat is a catco cat in is very good,not quite on a par with the metal ceramics but alot cheaper and stuart runs 3inch out the back of the cat unlike ferrita!If anybody is interester you can buy the metal ceramic cats from http://www.autocats.com/ at a fraction of the cost from companies like miltek and ferrita

SAMXPJ
Friday 17th June 2005, 16:11
Spoke to Stu at AAS today for a price on fitting a race cat with s/s down pipe to S70 T5 '98 and he gave an option of 160-200 sps[£280] or 120 sps[£370] has anyone fitted a 120 sps to a rica'd pre ME 70 series ? wondering about the lamba light and MOT.

After_Shock
Friday 17th June 2005, 19:06
Ask stu what was fitted to the C70 as I had no problems with the lambda light but have no idea which cat he fitted!

macV70R
Saturday 18th June 2005, 08:44
Great stuff, any noticable power gains?

I was thinking of geting a straight through cat, but this engine check light doesn't sound too good. Has onyone with a straight system got this problem?

Are there any places on the net with sports cats, might be worth looking into.

The car does seem more responsive, it certainly is noticeable. The car has a much nicer sound aswell. Do you fancy gettin it done or is it to far for you to travel?

Mac

After_Shock
Saturday 18th June 2005, 18:31
John Ret depends on your year of car as to whether you can get away with the de-cat, some can others just run constantly with the warning light on so really not worth it.

p fandango
Saturday 18th June 2005, 18:34
John Ret depends on your year of car as to whether you can get away with the de-cat, some can others just run constantly with the warning light on so really not worth it.
surely it depends if your car has the second lamba sensor as to whether you get the warning light or not, if it hasn't got the second lamba how could it know its been messed with?

After_Shock
Saturday 18th June 2005, 18:36
Yeah thats what I meant as to the year of the car, yours doesnt have the sensor so you can get away without a cat, im not sure what year they started installing the sensors?

oliwally
Sunday 19th June 2005, 00:33
It also depends on what type of sensor is fitted. If it has 3 wires the sensors relies on the cat to heat it up,4 or more wires then the the sensor is heated by the wires,Dont know if this applies to Volvos though.
Found this out on a probe v6 which had killed all 3 cats :slap: . about £2000 :jaw: I seem to remember. Knocked them out and removed the warning light bulb in the end.

p fandango
Sunday 19th June 2005, 10:18
It also depends on what type of sensor is fitted. If it has 3 wires the sensors relies on the cat to heat it up
how can the cat heat up the sensor when it after it?

oliwally
Sunday 19th June 2005, 13:55
how can the cat heat up the sensor when it after it?
With The Cat Running At Around The 800-1000 Degrees And The Sensors Usually Only 2-3" Away From It.