PDA

View Full Version : old bump strips

boabmc
Friday 11th July 2008, 17:10
is there any way to make the old aging bump strips on car look decent again??

including the door handles, they are all grey and old looking now anyway to make them appear nicer?

col7778
Friday 11th July 2008, 18:09
I used a product called forever black, has been on car for about 2 months now and is still black.

jimka
Friday 11th July 2008, 20:16
I swear by this stuff.....

http://www.4wheelplay.co.uk/autoglym-plastic-rubber-cleaner-1ltr-p-25002432.html

CONDYBOY
Saturday 12th July 2008, 21:40
There are a lot of products out there for this Back to black, exterior trim treatment, bumper buff etc... And I've tried a few but the bloody things will always fade. We used to use an ink substance to dye plastics and I can't think what it was called or I'd have some on my trims. But for now I use "simonize bumper restorer" Followed by "autoglym's" bumper treatment stuff.

bradley
Sunday 13th July 2008, 18:35
I used to be a member of a Vectra forum and there was a thread about the same thing. Anyways there was a chap who swore by using a heat gun, only gently mind. i have not seen any before or after pictures, but it was an interesting suggestion..........

T5-TEZ
Sunday 13th July 2008, 19:30
I used a heat gun on my 850 when the top of the bumpers went grey/white to bring the fat to the surface again,Then decided to get them painted but you can use a heat gun on them if you choose.

CONDYBOY
Sunday 13th July 2008, 22:57
Never heard of that beore? a heat gun I just happen to have one in the shed with tomorrow off work! Hmm worth a before and after methinks. The two bits of trim that the headlight wipers poke through are really bad. If it works I'll post in the "HOW TO" section.

T5-TEZ
Monday 14th July 2008, 09:45
Never heard of that beore? a heat gun I just happen to have one in the shed with tomorrow off work! Hmm worth a before and after methinks. The two bits of trim that the headlight wipers poke through are really bad. If it works I'll post in the "HOW TO" section.

Dont hold the heat gun on the same place for too long as it will burn it,build the heat up gradually by moving the heat gun back and forth and you will see the plastic start to darken in colour as the fat comes to the surface hth.

CONDYBOY
Monday 14th July 2008, 10:41
I am just about to try it.