PDA

View Full Version : Smokey V70 2.5 TDi

Cooper
Friday 11th July 2008, 10:11
Hi,

I'm a recent V70 owner, and I know it's hardly a performance Ovlov but I'm still wondering if there are any resident diesel experts that can help.

I have a 98 2.5 TDi (Audi 5cyl) and the car smokes quite heavily under load (black soot). At a guess I'm thinking there's either a leak in the inlet system somewhere, or that when belts were changed before I bought the car the pump timing isn't right.

I've had a brief look at the inlet system but there are no apparent leaks (I will leak test it), and haven't checked the timing, but if there are any gurus who know if this is a common problem and the causes it would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
Andy

MrMopp
Friday 11th July 2008, 10:25
Go with the basics first check your air filter is clean and make sure the intake is clear of debris , put a new fuel filter on then check again .

Try doing that and let us know if no improvement , I doubt its pump timing ! If its no better I'd go more for possible turbo .

Cooper
Friday 11th July 2008, 10:30
I'd meant to say I'd given it a basic service - oil & filter, fuel filter, air filter is like new and there was nothing of note when I was doing the service.

If it was the turbo, I would be expecting it to be burning oil, which it isn't- I'm pretty sure the smoke is fuel. However maybe experience of tdi owners on here may prove different.

Thanks
Andy

Terminator
Friday 11th July 2008, 13:53
Does this model have an oil breather (filter) under the engine cover and / or an EGR Valve? These used to be the culprits on the BMW oil burners which caused smoke on acceleration.

readview
Friday 11th July 2008, 15:50
Hi,dynamic pump timing is a distinct possibility,it is an easy engine to make a mistake with if the pulleys have been off at all as there is no woodruff key or spline on the cam so it's really easy to mis-time the valves or the pump.You will need someone with the right handheld unit or laptop to set the dynamic pump timing up,we use an autodiagnos machine identical to the main agents hand held set so we can do it for you if you are anywhere nearby(lancashire)?
Hope this helps,Adam.

Cooper
Wednesday 16th July 2008, 10:26
Unfortunately I'm in NI! Are there any other issues that would cause these symptoms? I don't want to go and spend a lot of money on sensors etc if there are common causes I should rule out first.

Thanks again,
Andy