PDA

View Full Version : ABS problem

Alan M
Thursday 10th July 2008, 21:41
I have an 855 t5 96 model. My abs light illuminated today along with the tracs light. Does anyone know what pins in the OBD plug will show me the fault codes, and in what sequence they need to be activated. The light has never come on before so I think its a wheel sensor somewhere.

PNuT
Thursday 10th July 2008, 22:19
its most probably the ecu... the fault will come up as the right rear wheel sensor

theres loads of stuff on the net about it ;)

http://volvospeed.com/Repair/abstrax.php

Tomcat
Thursday 10th July 2008, 22:21
Either that or your ignition switch is knackered, try turning the switch back slightly after you've started the car, if the warning lights go out its the switch, however, the 96 year cars where prone to the ABS module developing dry joints.

Alan M
Friday 11th July 2008, 07:58
Cheers for the replies. Can I remove the ABS ECU without disconnecting the pump aswell or will I need to remove the whole system, then bleed the braking and clutch system again??

Alan M
Friday 11th July 2008, 07:59
Is there a way of reading the codes with a home made reader??

PNuT
Friday 11th July 2008, 08:08
according to my laptop it can be accessed via software & only the motronic 4.3 & climate control are accessed via flash codes

Alan M
Friday 11th July 2008, 13:46
Cheers PNUT. Is it possible to remove the ecu without disturbing the ABS system.

PNuT
Friday 11th July 2008, 15:00
Cheers PNUT. Is it possible to remove the ecu without disturbing the ABS system.

yes, its fairly easy but you do need the correct size torx socket

http://www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?content=volvo_abs_module_removal_inst ructions_repair

Alan M
Friday 11th July 2008, 15:47
Cheers PNUT. I had a look over lunch so guessed it would be the 4 torx bolts to remove it. I'll soon find out if its the PCB joints or if its a wheel sensor. I'm hoping its an easy fix on the board as opposed to having to get under the car in the rain. The light went out on the way to work today so I'll post my findings tomorrow. Cheers for the input so far.