PDA

View Full Version : Tyre sizes for 18"s

Bison
Monday 18th April 2005, 18:47
Hi I am currently running 225/35/18's on my rims, with no scrubbage, looking to get 225/40/18's instead as ride is very bumpy with the 35's on. Anyone running 40 profiles? any probs/scrubbage etc?

Bison

siamblue
Tuesday 19th April 2005, 10:15
Hi Bison I was running 235/40s but with very light rubbage on left lock,Now i have changed the wheels i am now running 225/40s with a fine touch of rubbage on full left look,I was thinking of going down to 35 profile,Is it really that bad?Pedro?
By the way my suspension is standard and not lowered.

riedquat
Tuesday 19th April 2005, 11:56
Hi, I too am running 225/40/18's on my C70 (co-insidentally they are BBS Tritons like siamblues) and there is a very slight (and I mean slight) rubbing on full lock in both directions.

Pedro Fandango
Tuesday 19th April 2005, 15:45
I was thinking of going down to 35 profile,Is it really that bad?Pedro?
depends what your after, i'm perpared to give up ride comfort to go to for the lowest profile poss (but yes it is very bumpy)

GATHY
Sunday 15th May 2005, 14:10
Ive been on 18s on my s40 t4 phase 2.when i bought them i was told the only size tyres to fit where 215/35/18s so i bought them.in 2 months 3 are buckled on potholes i wish i would have got 40 series tyres DONT GET 35s
you will regret it,
dont know if pics work because im still a virgin on this area . :bricks:

siamblue
Monday 16th May 2005, 00:21
I must say they are aftermarket rims and not OE Volvo so the quality might not be the same,Plus our Tritons are made by BBS,
I was really thinking of getting 215/35s but a bit worried now,The car is hard enough now hitting pot holes on the suspension with it being lowered and 40 profiles.

GATHY
Wednesday 18th May 2005, 17:47
You should be okay on 40 series tyres(wish i would have got them.)
it easier than you think to buckle 35s because your tyre wall is 35 mm which with the weight of a volvo on them is more like 20mm.i must admit though i try to miss potholes around town but when your tonking on country roads its harder than you think to avoid them.
as for quality of wheels more like quality of roads that needs addressing.
the wheels where £600 with brand new tyres from rochford tyres on ebay and come ready to go straight on.volvo want that for one wheel.cannot argue with £600 i could buy another set with 40 series tyres on and still save £100s from volvos prices know what i mean ? :slap:

look at the pics and see for yourself ,! DODGY.

siamblue
Thursday 19th May 2005, 23:08
You should be okay on 40 series tyres(wish i would have got them.)
it easier than you think to buckle 35s because your tyre wall is 35 mm which with the weight of a volvo on them is more like 20mm.i must admit though i try to miss potholes around town but when your tonking on country roads its harder than you think to avoid them.
as for quality of wheels more like quality of roads that needs addressing.
the wheels where £600 with brand new tyres from rochford tyres on ebay and come ready to go straight on.volvo want that for one wheel.cannot argue with £600 i could buy another set with 40 series tyres on and still save £100s from volvos prices know what i mean ? :slap:

look at the pics and see for yourself ,! DODGY.

Very nice car mate, But looking at those pics you have the wrong tyres on them, You need 225s You are going to kerb them seriously bad if you are not carefull,Are you wheels 7.5 or 8j? Mine are BBS Volvo Tritons and are 7.5j.

Gary

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/500000-500999/500954_69_full.jpg

Redbrick
Thursday 19th May 2005, 23:14
Bison

Stick to 225/35R18, if 40's rub will your fitter take them back?

I'm sticking to 35's as I can't afford to get it wrong trying them out!

Volvo alloys are built strong, unlike aftermarket.

siamblue
Thursday 19th May 2005, 23:26
Bison

Stick to 225/35R18, if 40's rub will your fitter take them back?

I'm sticking to 35's as I can't afford to get it wrong trying them out!

Volvo alloys are built strong, unlike aftermarket.

I have kerbed after markets alloys before and they are like butter against a kerb, Whereas the Volvo set stood up very well expensive mistake i know,
225/35/18s will be as rare as hell very odd size, Mytyres do a set of Nankangs 215/35s for £57 each posted if anyone wants to try them.

Bison
Thursday 19th May 2005, 23:28
Ive been on 18s on my s40 t4 phase 2.when i bought them i was told the only size tyres to fit where 215/35/18s so i bought them.in 2 months 3 are buckled on potholes i wish i would have got 40 series tyres DONT GET 35s

Your ims are buckled cos you got ££££ rims! No offence but Wolfrace are piss, My wheels were about £1200 and were worth the extra money cos they are strong, where I live the worst thing isn't the pot holes it's the red brick speed things that have the speed limit on them raised about an inch from the road surface, they are a bitch, like going up a mini kerb, I drive my car quite hard and none of the rims are buckled, thank god I got decent rims.

Bison

siamblue
Thursday 19th May 2005, 23:38
Same here Bison mine are BBS Volvo, It's not worth the risk buying cheapy rims that Rochford sells maybe ok for light Saxo's or alike but no 1500kg Volvo's.

GATHY
Friday 20th May 2005, 19:54
well in my sad 12 years of driving ive done in 3 vectra gsi wheels on 45s 1 oz supertouring wheel cracked on 40s and 2 850 r wheels flat spotted i think i need to stop driving like a t@@t.
as for 18 that explains why most people try to sell them after a week,because theyve buckled them or the car drives like its got no tyres on.
im going back to 17s with a tractor tyre on.ill just lower it to regain some sort of handling which volvo forgot about when they built them. :bog:
as for wheel quality my wheels from rochford are the same as in shops around here for over a grand so price doesnt reflect the strength of the wheels they all go through the same testing whether o/e or aftermarket as i stated previously the wheels are not the problem the choice of tyre was my ultimate downfall as i have had wolfrace 18s before on 40s and they took plenty of hammer from potholes etc
to say the wheels are ££££ is a bit unfair you might as well come round and stab me.
i was advised to get 40s tyres by my brother whos been a mechanic and cosworth freak for years.but rochford said 35s on s40s due to clearance but i think he was talking about the phase 1
my standard tyres were 50/16 so to me i would have gone to 40/18s but i didnt want to take the risk because im a :bog:
anyway its only money and i cant take it to heaven with me.the most important factor is to learn from your mistakes which we all make.
my car still drives okay so ill just burn down the tyres and call it a learning curve. :B_steerin

Pedro Fandango
Friday 20th May 2005, 22:41
i think the design/style decided how strong a wheel is going to be more than anything. Thin 5-spokes (which i've got) have a larger weak area than the multi-spokes both Bison & Siam are running, i've got a lot bigger unstrengthed gap between each spoke than you's so it will buckle easier no matter who made it

siamblue
Friday 20th May 2005, 23:02
well in my sad 12 years of driving ive done in 3 vectra gsi wheels on 45s 1 oz supertouring wheel cracked on 40s and 2 850 r wheels flat spotted i think i need to stop driving like a t@@t.
as for 18 that explains why most people try to sell them after a week,because theyve buckled them or the car drives like its got no tyres on.
im going back to 17s with a tractor tyre on.ill just lower it to regain some sort of handling which volvo forgot about when they built them. :bog:
as for wheel quality my wheels from rochford are the same as in shops around here for over a grand so price doesnt reflect the strength of the wheels they all go through the same testing whether o/e or aftermarket as i stated previously the wheels are not the problem the choice of tyre was my ultimate downfall as i have had wolfrace 18s before on 40s and they took plenty of hammer from potholes etc
to say the wheels are ££££ is a bit unfair you might as well come round and stab me.
i was advised to get 40s tyres by my brother whos been a mechanic and cosworth freak for years.but rochford said 35s on s40s due to clearance but i think he was talking about the phase 1
my standard tyres were 50/16 so to me i would have gone to 40/18s but i didnt want to take the risk because im a :bog:
anyway its only money and i cant take it to heaven with me.the most important factor is to learn from your mistakes which we all make.
my car still drives okay so ill just burn down the tyres and call it a learning curve. :B_steerin

Gathy,My car was the same,My standard size was 205/50/16 on the S70,I wanted to go 35 profiles but luckily for me they came with 40s, Only problem i have with these is the speedo is out by 6-7% because the tyres are the wrong size and should've been 35 profile,That's probably why Roachford suggested the 35s to keep your overall diameter the same as standard,
But clearance is ok on mine and it has just been lowered by 40mm too, Infact it rubs less now, Since it has been lowered strange one that,
Pedro mine are thin multispoke but the BBS wheels i have are split rims,So i guess it retains the strength s they have 20 odd bolts on each split rim,Otherwise mine would be buckled for sure,As i have hit some hard holes in the road, That's the only thing stopping me getting 35s at the mo because i can handle the ride now but it will be stupily hard if i change them.

Gary.