PDA

View Full Version : engine management warning light

stainesy
Thursday 10th July 2008, 13:59
i was reading the buyers guide for buying an 850 t5-r and it said that a usual trick people do is to remove the engine management warning light bulb.
so i had to go check mine.
well when i first turn the ignition on there is no enginemanagement warning light or service light.
my car runs fine and there dont seem to be anything rong with it.
is this dodgey that when i turn the ignition on there is no lights for them even for a few seconds?

dooby
Thursday 10th July 2008, 14:57
Hiya,

does sound as though the bulbs have blown or been removed.

The service one's not that important, but you might want to get your codes read to check if the engine light would be on (if the bulb were there).

A Volvo dealership or good independent could do this for a small fee. Alternatively, you can read them yourself. I don't know for your T-5R whether you'll have the self diagnostic block near the washer reservoir or the ODB-II plug under the coin tray in front of the gearknob but hopefully someone can tell us.

Cheers, Pete

stainesy
Thursday 10th July 2008, 15:47
my best mates dad is a top mechanic for bmw and he will do a diognostic check for me if i ask nicely.
il do that.
just seemed abit funny to me that the bulbs dont work.
i dont mind realy if he took the service light bulb out as i can understand it would be anoying but taking the ecu warning bulb out has got me thinking.

Silverfox
Wednesday 16th July 2008, 13:11
If the ECU light isn't lit and the car is going well then don't look for it. If you want a light I'm prepared to you a deal on my Engine Service Required Light. Local Volvo garage wants £88 to hook the car up and then a further £88 to possibly tell me sensor has died. Obviously the Chancellor wants his bit so at £208 / light .......

On the plus side you have bulbs that can be taken out. Do we have a cunning plan for the LED display.

Relax and take either yours or someone elses Missus out for a nice meal on the £208 you have just saved.

Do I sound bitter and twisted .....

Tomcat
Wednesday 16th July 2008, 13:29
If it is a T5R you have then you will have the diagnostic module under the bonnet, it's really easy to use and you should be able to check if there's any fault codes listed yourself. I'd be concerned if it where my car and the bulb was missing/ taken out. How long have you owned it?.

Reegs
Friday 25th July 2008, 08:31
My V70 t5 manual has always had a very slight miss. Now and again from cold when started its spluttery for a few seconds (as though the choke dosent work), and always seems to have a very slight miss. Yesterday, I took her on a run, and when I got home and just as I pulled into the drive, the engine management light came on. I turned her off then on again and still did it. So I removed the ECU for a few seconds then put it back in again. I then switched the engine on, the light has now gone out, but she was very sputtery untill the ECU reset itself again. Could it have been the heat as it was a very hot day that caused the light to come on?

PNuT
Friday 25th July 2008, 12:35
the light is to tell you something is wrong with your car... not that its hot outside

Alan M
Friday 25th July 2008, 15:50
the light is to tell you something is wrong with your car... not that its hot outside

LOL.:stupid:

Reegs
Friday 25th July 2008, 17:41
Im well aware of that, but as the ECU is best kept cooled, i wonder if the heat made it go funny :-)