PDA

View Full Version : Where can i get uprated pads for V70R 2003

simonc
Wednesday 9th July 2008, 19:58
Need a good website to get some uprated brake pads for my V70R 2003 fitted with the brembo calipers, only ones i can find are EBC pads. tried the usual kalmar union & PFV online they don't do them for my model.

Cheers Simon.

Nathlm
Wednesday 9th July 2008, 20:59
Need a good website to get some uprated brake pads for my V70R 2003 fitted with the brembo calipers, only ones i can find are EBC pads. tried the usual kalmar union & PFV online they don't do them for my model.

Cheers Simon.

Hi,

Ferodo DS2500 (front & rear) and the Mintex Extreme (front only) Both are a good choice for road and track and are way better than anything EBC.
We haven't had a chance to put these on our online shop yet, child birth intervened !
Regards,
Natalie.

Wombatbomb
Wednesday 9th July 2008, 21:20
Have the DS2500's been made road legal now then for post 2001 cars?

Wombatbomb
Friday 11th July 2008, 11:23
Have the DS2500's been made road legal now then for post 2001 cars?

Any answer to this yet? I need new pads soon, but don't want to get in trouble at a VOSA roadside inspection or similar, so would rather stay road legal.

t5owner
Friday 11th July 2008, 16:04
Any answer to this yet? I need new pads soon, but don't want to get in trouble at a VOSA roadside inspection or similar, so would rather stay road legal.

afaik and am told

They do not meet reg 90 and so are not road legal

Cheers

stuart

Wombatbomb
Friday 11th July 2008, 16:15
Hmmm.....interesting. So that would make all sorts of trouble for someone if they had an incident and then the brakes were inspected by VOSA. Would be equally interesting to see what happens to a company that recommends those pads being fitted to a road car too.

Guess I'll go and find a legal alternative then.

Justin
Friday 11th July 2008, 17:41
Nat, your post has been edited as it was in breach of the site advertising policy. Please contact me if you need details.

I have also used DS2500 in the past and i would be interested re legality on the road.

Wombatbomb
Friday 11th July 2008, 18:06
Ok, having done some reading on the internet, it seems the following is the case:

Cars registered on or after 1st April 2001 MUST have brake pads fitted that comply with ECE Reg 90.
From the figures I can find, the brakes friction co-efficient must be within 15% of a set figure. There is no differentiation between a pad that works BETTER or WORSE than this figure.

The DS2500's are between 30% and 40% different from this default figure (better admittedly, but the regulation doesn't care). As such, they are not ECE Reg 90 compliant, and are therefore ILLEGAL for road use on any car that is registered on or after 1st April, 2001.

Which makes for an interesting debate on several levels with the law being an ass etc.

But it immediately raises the question of why a trader is actively recommending these pads to a vehicle owner if they are illegal for road use?

PNuT
Friday 11th July 2008, 18:07
money in the bank

Tim Williams
Friday 11th July 2008, 18:42
It looks like FRF Volvo might be the best place to get front pads for an R as at £79.78 they are a good price, oh and last but not least your car will still be road legal!!!

Wombatbomb
Friday 11th July 2008, 18:46
I've just twigged, is NatHLM connected to the guy with the exhausts in the other thread? Isn't he HLM? I wasn't a member for long before the big probs recently, so don't know if their is any history as such?

Based on what I can see at the moment, seems like a company to avoid doing business with tbh.