PDA

View Full Version : Airtight V40

Justin
Tuesday 8th July 2008, 23:21
Right, puzzle for you all. Saturday night, raining hard, well oiled the wife is driving, she walks to the car gets in and winds the front 2 windows down and then back up to wipe the mirros so she could see what she was reversing into.

They go down, back up, then thats it they havent worked since.

I have bought a working unit from Continental car breakers (thanks Mark) and thats the same, nothing works on the switch pack except the locking switch for the doors, the electric mirrors and windows won't budge???

I have checked the 30a fuse under the bonnet and pulled the drivers footwell cover off only to find that the manual was drawn by the same bling kid with a black pen that did Vikings tatoo's. Makes no sense at all to me lol.

Any idea's? Oh and I've had a meter to the switch and there is power to it :)

MrMopp
Wednesday 9th July 2008, 07:24
Want me to have a looky ?

Justin
Wednesday 9th July 2008, 09:02
If your passing, Kath is working all week this week :)

Redbrick
Wednesday 9th July 2008, 09:18
I recall a thread on the VOC S60 Forum explaining the method of resetting the windows and mirrors with a few button presses and key turns- can't remember exactly and probably wouldn't work on a 40. Worth calling a Dealer and asking if there is a similar procedure?

Redbrick
Wednesday 9th July 2008, 09:39
Found this for the S60's & V70's.

To reset the door/window computer, do the following:

Close all of the doors and bonnet.
Key in position II engine not running.
Hold both the driver window and passenger window switches in the driver door panel in the closed or up position for 5 to 8 seconds after the windows are closed.
Release buttons.
Remove the ignition key.
Operate the remote twice. lock/unlock lock/unlock.
This will reset the UEM brain.
This can correct faulty operation of the sunroof and/or erratic door lock function.

Using the key in the drivers door to lock/unlock

lock/unlock will also reset the UEM ----Upper Electronic Module.

Justin
Wednesday 9th July 2008, 09:51

Hold both the driver window and passenger window switches in the driver door panel in the closed or up position for 5 to 8 seconds after the windows are closed.
Release buttons.
Remove the ignition key.
This can correct faulty operation of the sunroof and/or erratic door lock function.

I will give it a go Andy many thanks :)

Vikingxl
Wednesday 9th July 2008, 10:19
Tattooed goblins tampered with it and at least they went up before they died

rs_andy
Wednesday 9th July 2008, 13:19
maybe try disconnecting the battery overnight?

sin't all this wizardry supposed to make life better? dont remember my cortina windows refusing to work when its raining lol

Justin
Wednesday 9th July 2008, 18:19
I am prepared to try anything that is costless before it goes for auto diagnostics. I have spoken to a Volvo master tech ate Stratstone today (thanks Chris ;) ) and apparently there is no jiggery pokery involved, its a straight forward system of electric and motors, he suggests perhaps a short connection. We will see :)

Justin
Wednesday 9th July 2008, 18:24

Release buttons.
Remove the ignition key.

No joy with that mate, shall i try a petrol bomb next :cussing:

CONDYBOY
Wednesday 9th July 2008, 19:26
You could do a continuity test from the switch to the motor to see if there's any break in the wiring?
check for the power getting to the motors if you can't get power back retro fit manual windersLol.

siamblue
Wednesday 9th July 2008, 20:19
Didn't someone on here recently say switches cannot be swapped over on later cars? As they are all software related now,

Gary.

Chad
Wednesday 9th July 2008, 20:34
sledge hammer. but then you will have to go back to continental car breakers and get two new windows. lol

sorry cant be much more help

Justin
Wednesday 9th July 2008, 22:37
Didn't someone on here recently say switches cannot be swapped over on later cars? As they are all software related now,

Gary.

Like i said in an earlier post Gary, there is no jiggery in the 2003 V40, unlike the S60, you cant programme the windows etc its just a simple wired connection.

CONDYBOY
Thursday 10th July 2008, 23:23
Hey Justin can we please have some creche facilities for our kiddies? lol

jimka
Thursday 10th July 2008, 23:29
Are the sidelights working?

Justin
Friday 11th July 2008, 07:55
Havent checked mate but will do later....why ?

jimka
Friday 11th July 2008, 10:58
my 2001 > manual is in the loft, and my 1998> is in the car.... (its raining so im not gonna get it!) but i recall a friend having the same problem with a fuse related to the sidelights / windows... on the s40 fuses are shared with quite a few other items... in his case, we actully put a bigger fuse in and it worked (i know i know fire risks etc) he went from 10 amp to 20amp no bad smells or anything, so he was happy.... has yours had an aftermarket hands-free system fitted? caused hell on my 4th s40 - kept making the dash board not light up, even thought the fuse was ok.

Justin
Friday 11th July 2008, 11:15
It hasn't got a hands free but it may have had one. I will have a look over the weekend at the manual and the fuses. The car is a nightmare for blowing bulbs as it is.

Cheers

J

CONDYBOY
Tuesday 15th July 2008, 21:09
the left speedo bulb goes out on my clocks and then comes back on for no apparent reason.I've changed the bulbs and the same happens! I may try the ford trick with WD40.

Justin
Tuesday 15th July 2008, 21:30
I stripped half the dash out to find there is 12v at the fuse and that seems to be where it stops, so its eitehr a relat issue or wiring. Its in at an auto electric on Monday :)

Vikingxl
Wednesday 16th July 2008, 06:32
Smash it or burn it at least you will feel better!