PDA

View Full Version : Boost anyone ??

Justin
Monday 1st November 2004, 15:55
Managed to get a few shots of my gauges on the road yesterday and thought you would like to see, i have a rica remap and an ITG panel filter, plus some other small tweaks :wink:

http://www.volvot5.co.uk/volvogallery/albums/album05/normal_Boost.JPG

http://www.volvot5.co.uk/volvogallery/albums/album05/normal_Boost1.JPG

As you can see the aftermarket gauge is showing about 1.2 bar, the stock dash gauge is at the wrong angle to see the true level, but when looking straight at it its about 2-3mm from the end of the white :)

Mrsmopp
Monday 1st November 2004, 15:58
Nice clear stretch of private motorway to play on there!!! LOL

x

Justin
Monday 1st November 2004, 16:09
I was within the speed limit......Briefly:eek:

Wobbly Dave
Monday 1st November 2004, 16:29
Mine goes a bit further round :wink:

wright_t5
Monday 1st November 2004, 16:34
Torqueing boost.... mine just won't hold at the top end, keeps dropping off, what could be wrong? where should I look for problems? :mad:

lance
Monday 1st November 2004, 16:34
Nice pic how come the roads so quiet.

I just did 850 miles this weekend and no bits of road that empty unfortunatly

still nothing overtook me . :hidesbehi

Wobbly Dave
Monday 1st November 2004, 16:45
Torqueing boost.... mine just won't hold at the top end, keeps dropping off, what could be wrong? where should I look for problems? :mad:
Boost usually spikes then is reigned back by the ECU - depending on the demand from the right foot! Unless you have it checked or you have a gauge it is not possible to tell. Could be an air-leak, could be a worn turbo or a slack wastegate? Easiest thing to do is to buy a gauge and hook it up - mind u you need to know what to expect.

Bakey
Monday 1st November 2004, 16:53
Nice!!! Only seen mine go just below 3/4 so far :)

wright_t5
Monday 1st November 2004, 17:03
How do I check if it's a weak actuator!! can't get in there and see whilst it's running, are there any checks that can be done static?

At times, (When in sports mode) it does hold boost, just below the max, but when in "normal" mode it does has a habit of boost, drop, boost, drop, depending how long you hold it and how long the road is!!

I am waiting for another chip change to see if that's the problem, but just checking ahead of time.. I never noticed it before the upgrade, mind you the needle never went any where before that!!! :shifty:

Justin
Monday 1st November 2004, 17:13
Yours is 100% overboosting mate, thats it, you need to turn it down or get the chip looked at!

Justin
Monday 1st November 2004, 17:14
As for the roads being empty Lance, did you not know i have my own private test track???

M69 on a Sunday afternoon mate, always empty :wink:

Pedro Fandango
Monday 1st November 2004, 17:17
very nice J, i can match that
:bow_kneel

wright_t5
Monday 1st November 2004, 17:20
It certainly points to that, by all that's been said, peoples opinion of what's happening, need to chase the upgrade, chip change, Oh, and get a gauge too... :wink:

Good forum, nice chat, Volvo drivers, and all that they say about them, Hah! :dgrin:

Wobbly Dave
Monday 1st November 2004, 17:26
Relatively speaking - the ££ spent in uping the performance is slight when compared to a lot of other cars.

RICA rocks. When I get my tranny back I shall be away again!

I am determined to show that welsh boy in his C70 that the auto 850R can compete with a smaller more aerodynamic car with his fancy VVTi engine.

Justin
Monday 1st November 2004, 17:36
I think you would need a 19T to do it mate, the fly by wire C70 is a quick car as stock!!!!

Pedro Fandango
Monday 1st November 2004, 17:39
the fly by wire C70 is a quick car as stock!!!!
it certainly impressed me on the way back from the pub

Mrsmopp
Monday 1st November 2004, 17:40
Dave the only way you will beat Chris (even as stock) is to take your BCS off!!!!! Hate to say it but the C70 has us beat every time! Give up whilst you still have your self respect!!! LOL

I'm temped to take a pic of my boost gauge on full boost......But i may break something :eek:

x

Wobbly Dave
Monday 1st November 2004, 17:41
I am hedging my bets - I said compete - not necessarily "beat"

:shifty:

Mrsmopp
Monday 1st November 2004, 17:45
So whats the difference betweeen compete and beat then?

If I am running silly amount of boost and he was keeping me in his sights!!! :eek:

x

Wobbly Dave
Monday 1st November 2004, 17:45
With the new rubber and new box under my foot I am also hoping to shave a few tenths of my 14.6 :wink:

As for that Black Beauty that is Chris's C70 I am daft enough to believe I might stand a chance? :hidesbehi

Mrsmopp
Monday 1st November 2004, 17:46
Mine goes a bit further round :wink:

You may want to replace your BCS then babe! Its obviously faulty!

x

Pedro Fandango
Monday 1st November 2004, 17:47
With the new rubber and new box under my foot I am also hoping to shave a few tenths of my 14.6 :wink:
coming to join BT in the 14.5's are you Dave :wink:

Wobbly Dave
Monday 1st November 2004, 17:50
:borg_ani: "I'll be back"

BT will be eating my tyres smoke :wink:

Pedro Fandango
Monday 1st November 2004, 17:53
BT will be eating my tyres smoke :wink:
don't count on it just yet Dave, got some more unique mods in the pipelines :wink: (which may upset a few people)

Wobbly Dave
Monday 1st November 2004, 17:58
And blow the pistons right through the sump no doubt!

or are we about to see the world's first jet propelled 850??

I believe you can get some fairly powerful rockets this time of year - strap-on a few to the spoiler - light fuse and stand well back - LOL :hidesbehi

Pedro Fandango
Monday 1st November 2004, 18:07
lol, the engine is fine how she is (would like a electric boost control instead of the mbc but not this side of xmas)

helrazor
Monday 1st November 2004, 22:59
I have no boost guage in my T5 :cry:

PH

Murphy
Tuesday 2nd November 2004, 13:10
So what are all the tweaks and secret mods about - i would love to have me standard gauge of the end of the white :)

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 2nd November 2004, 16:03
MBC will do that for you (I think) and RICA definately will

Pedro Fandango
Tuesday 2nd November 2004, 16:19
So what are all the tweaks and secret mods about - i would love to have me standard gauge of the end of the white :)
all i've got is a MBC & a de-cat

Demon
Tuesday 2nd November 2004, 16:31
gonna sound dumb here but i dont have a turbo yet, whats an MBC?

Pedro Fandango
Tuesday 2nd November 2004, 16:42
MBC is a Manual Boost Controller, its a valve you place in the actuator air line to raise the boost to the level YOU want

Demon
Tuesday 2nd November 2004, 17:07
oh right one of them i always heard them being called bleed valve's (dangerous cos it doesnt adjust the fueling to match just ups the boost. Better to use something like an Apexi boost controller really then

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 2nd November 2004, 17:11
MBC is very different to a bleed valve and yes a bleed valve is very touch and go!

x

Pedro Fandango
Tuesday 2nd November 2004, 17:22
the Apexi won't adjust the fuel either, its just a computer controlled solenoid instead of the MBC in the line

Murphy
Tuesday 2nd November 2004, 17:27
I am all rica'd up - it just doesn't boost that high - still got a reasonable 14.7 so i don't suppose it is running that low on boost :rainfro:

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 2nd November 2004, 17:48
Still worth checking for air leaks - not that you have any. Some cars the stock gauge goes up higher for the same boost

Bracer
Thursday 11th November 2004, 13:45
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/639000-639999/639353_58.jpg

Sorry about the quailty that was as good as it was gonna get this morning at Mack 4 dodging all the Mums and Trucks down the by-pass

:rolleyes:

volvotuning
Thursday 11th November 2004, 13:58
lol, the engine is fine how she is (would like a electric boost control instead of the mbc but not this side of xmas)

Duane, your car does have electronic boost control, but you've chosen to by-pass it!!!!

Adam.

Pedro Fandango
Thursday 11th November 2004, 14:04
good point, but with the Apexi unit different boost curves & max levels can be changed by the simple touch of a button

volvotuning
Thursday 11th November 2004, 14:27
I am all rica'd up - it just doesn't boost that high - still got a reasonable 14.7 so i don't suppose it is running that low on boost :rainfro:

You're down on boost. Probably an air leak somewhere.

Adam.

volvotuning
Thursday 11th November 2004, 16:12
good point, but with the Apexi unit different boost curves & max levels can be changed by the simple touch of a button

I can do that too!! And with different ignition and fueling map and rpm limit and max speed limit for each boost curve.

Adam.

Pedro Fandango
Thursday 11th November 2004, 16:22
I can do that too!! And with different ignition and fueling map and rpm limit and max speed limit for each boost curve.
i thought you weren't selling that option anymore tho Adam?

volvotuning
Thursday 11th November 2004, 18:24
i thought you weren't selling that option anymore tho Adam?

True, but I still have the one in my car. I have a buyer for it for when my car is finally sold, but should it fall through...

Adam.

lance
Thursday 11th November 2004, 19:10
Shame you dont still sell the switchable ECU . Im sure it would be popular and very tempting to turn it to the max but handy to turn down when warming up and in ££££ty road conditions.

Bracer
Wednesday 17th November 2004, 15:01
True, but I still have the one in my car. I have a buyer for it for when my car is finally sold, but should it fall through...

Adam.

Why did you drop this option Adam, not enough call for it :(

Any chance you could still do special requests :confused: