PDA

View Full Version : S60 T5 Steering Lock stops

fletberbill
Monday 7th July 2008, 10:29
Hi all

As i said in a previous post i have recently purchased a 53 plate S60 T5.

this car has the optional sports pack which includes the 18" wheels and 235 40 18 tyres

The dealer told me it has steering lock stops on because of the bigger wheels and he also said i will still hear a rubbing noise when on full lock, is that really supposed to happen?

thanks in advance

Vikingxl
Monday 7th July 2008, 10:43
Im pretty sure they all do it mate but im sure someone will be along that can tell you once and for all

fletberbill
Monday 7th July 2008, 19:39
ok thanks for the reply.I was just a little worried that it wasnt right.I do find it embarrasing in car parks. the noise is horrible

Tomcat
Monday 7th July 2008, 19:41
If the correct lock stops have been fitted then there should be no rubbing on full lock, sounds like he's either not fitted them or fitted the wrong ones.

fletberbill
Monday 7th July 2008, 19:47
ah right.

wouldnt these have been fitted by volvo before it left the factory as its the sports pack option? and not an aftermarket item

Tomcat
Monday 7th July 2008, 19:49
It's possible someone's fitted wider tyres, you'd have to check what size the car is supposed to come with.

fletberbill
Monday 7th July 2008, 19:54
from what i have read and even just read in the owners manual, it has the right size tyres on it that came standard with the wheels.

Rufe
Monday 7th July 2008, 21:39
it shouldnt make a noise not if the right ones are fitted. i've never heard them make a noise on lock

with the P1 series you had to grease the lock stops up with thick grease and the noise would dissapear (where the stop made contact to the metal).

as far as i know you dont need to grease the P2 stops, as they are a different design

Snapper
Sunday 27th July 2008, 15:01
Newbie - 'Snapper' with '03 S60 T5 SE

Hi all

New to forum but not to Volvos;
my T5 has same problem; but didn't have it when new (to me)
Had it fixed under warranty by a Volvo MD not far from Portsmouth, but later found all they had done was fit washers under the lock stops... so problem returned after a while.
Just got hold of 4 Eibach wheel spacers, yet to fit but will post verdict.
'Pro-Spacer 108/5-65-145' (2 sizes; large daft ones, & mine 5mm each side)
br
Snapper

roy chu
Sunday 27th July 2008, 17:51
I fitted a couple of stop locks to mine a couple of weeks ago with 2 washers and they still rub at time. I would suggest take off the old ones, grind off the plastic back to the metail and double up on the backing... these should last longer... as the stop locks wear, I recon they would rub after about 4 or 5 months, such a bad design.

But I had to fit 2 washers behind them as well. Even with the stop locks they still rub, a bad design, hence the washers. I will do the grinding thing and double up on the plates, this will give me more time without rub and hopefully will make it to the MOT next year, but I highly doubt it.

I did think of spacers, but not sure how the R would react to spacers as the wheels would be fractionally out.

Part Number - PV31212191 comes on the Invoice as C01H ROLLER

Qty: 2

£24.53

Rufe
Sunday 27th July 2008, 20:06
Part Number - PV31212191 comes on the Invoice as C01H ROLLER
They are called Rollers on the parts database (the C01H simply refers to the location in that dealers stock). If anyone wants these at a discounted price let me know, though i may require your tyre size to identify correct ones for your car.

the old design onth P1 series cars was better even if they did require re-greasing now and again, these ones dont have the same fix unfortunately, when they go they go.

Volvo Family
Monday 28th July 2008, 10:48
Amount of rubbing may also depend on the brand of tyre fitted as well. The P6000s which many Volvos seem to come with have particularly rounded shoulders and a narrow tread so they're less likely to rub, or grip the road. Goodyear F1's are one of the worst due the the square shoulders and wider tread.

Could you not just not use full lock? All the stops do is increase an already rubbish turning circle.