PDA

View Full Version : Lpg?

C70Dan
Monday 7th July 2008, 09:22
I've had a quick look into an LPG conversion for my 2000 C70 t5, which will set me back about £2250. This is probably more than the car is worth but I would like to keep hold of the car for as long as I can, so it might pay for itself in time. I was wondering if the t5's will stay have the same performance as with petrol and whether there were any more draw backs running on LPG?

Cheers Dan

abdul
Monday 7th July 2008, 09:26
u will lose about 5% in power but u will hardly notice it just make sure its done properly a lot of people say they can do it but are just cowboys

Big Ron
Monday 7th July 2008, 10:23
Had my V70R converted 2 months ago no great loss in BHP nor MPG. The cost of my conversion was £1450.00.

frumpy
Monday 7th July 2008, 11:00
Had my V70R converted 2 months ago no great loss in BHP nor MPG. The cost of my conversion was £1450.00.

Whereabouts is the supplier? - sounds like a good deal.

Terminator
Monday 7th July 2008, 12:24
Sound advice by Abdul as it is vital to use an accredited supplier/fitter with a good track record. I am having my 1999 V70R converted next week by Arun Autogas in Littlehampton who have a good reputation, many recommendations and are charging £2100 all in, which seems to be about the going rate.

They need the car for upto 5 days and I would say that the time taken to fit and most importantly calibrate the equipment is an indication of how good the conversion will be.

I would be suspicious about anyone charging a lot less than £2000 as yer gets what you pay for!

Big Ron
Monday 7th July 2008, 16:12
The supplier is on the outskirts of Birmingham just off the M42. He has a very good track record,he's doing my friends Mercedes CLK this week at the same price he done mine for.The system he uses is an OMVL which you can read up on on line about.

C70Dan
Monday 7th July 2008, 22:16
Sound advice by Abdul as it is vital to use an accredited supplier/fitter with a good track record. I am having my 1999 V70R converted next week by Arun Autogas in Littlehampton who have a good reputation, many recommendations and are charging £2100 all in, which seems to be about the going rate.

They need the car for upto 5 days and I would say that the time taken to fit and most importantly calibrate the equipment is an indication of how good the conversion will be.

I would be suspicious about anyone charging a lot less than £2000 as yer gets what you pay for!

Can you Let me know how you get on

cheers

entwisi
Tuesday 8th July 2008, 04:01
I'm on my 3rd gas car, I would recommend Motorgasconversions of Accrington. very knowledgeable and LPG conversions are his mainstay so he can't be that bad at it :D

He only recommends Prins kits which aren't teh cheapest but do seem to be teh best

Terminator
Tuesday 8th July 2008, 12:26
Can you Let me know how you get on

cheers

Will do!

Entwisi - Prins and BRC are the two kits that have been recommended to me by the various installers I have contacted. I have decided to go with BRC and will give a full appraisal once the work has been done.

LesRED850R
Wednesday 9th July 2008, 04:50
I've had a quick look into an LPG conversion for my 2000 C70 t5, which will set me back about £2250. This is probably more than the car is worth but I would like to keep hold of the car for as long as I can, so it might pay for itself in time. I was wondering if the t5's will stay have the same performance as with petrol and whether there were any more draw backs running on LPG?

Cheers Dan

Gday,now we had a good discussion on this a few months ago and a member [Was it JefZ orJeZF??] found a great kit and had pics to boot! Now who can get this man back on here...anyone got his contact? LesM.

itguy
Wednesday 9th July 2008, 08:57
JezF will be about - he had his 850R (mte remap) converted with a BRC system and he's very happy with it.

My p2 v70 t5 is booked in to be converted on 13th august with the brc kit and I have driven the local converters demo car which happens to be a p2 v70 t5 the same as mine!!!

I've been quoted 1650+vat but that's only because its going to be easier for them to fit the filler as its going in the spare towbar electric mount point so no body drilling / colour coding etc

Porcine_Aviator
Wednesday 9th July 2008, 10:34
I have an LPG conversion on my V70 T5. The only thing I have noticed is that when I hit the throttle hard there's a lack of acceleration compared to petrol. I have been told that if I have it re-tuned for LPG it might change the way it performs. The other thing that has also happened is that just before the LPG ran out the engine lost power intermittently, it coughed a bit and died when I pulled up to traffic lights. Again this could be due to the tuning.

As I have only had the car for a week or so, I'm going to see if I can get a local garage to have a look at it.

The car runs well, but does have a few small things that need putting right.

The previous car was an 850 T5, it was more responsive than the V70, when I put my foot on the floor is went off like a greyhound. It's now sitting on my drive and after a good clean it's going up for sale.
The only reason I'm selling is the change to the V70 with LPG, the 850 would have cost me between £1600 and £3000 to have converted.

The one thing I will say is that running on LPG is a lot cheaper, I put £60 worth of petrol in two weeks ago and since then I have filled up with LPG three times, at between £19 and £22, and I still have just under half a tank of petrol.

Terminator
Wednesday 9th July 2008, 10:54
Gday,now we had a good discussion on this a few months ago and a member [Was it JefZ orJeZF??] found a great kit and had pics to boot! Now who can get this man back on here...anyone got his contact? LesM.

I am pretty sure it was Jez who lives in the Brighton/Hove area and had his BRC Kit supplied and fitted by Arun Autogas. It was on his recommendation that I have gone for the same kit and supplier.

LesRED850R
Wednesday 9th July 2008, 13:24
[QUOTE=itguy;164966]JezF will be about - he had his 850R (mte remap) converted with a BRC system and he's very happy with it.
My p2 v70 t5 is booked in to be converted on 13th august with the brc kit and I have driven the local converters demo car which happens to be a p2 v70 t5 the same as mine!!!
Thanks! What kit do BCS use or is it their own? Any other good kits that work well? The petrol has now hit $1.70 for 95 ron here in Aussie although i use 98 ron 10% ethanol blend @ $1.78 i like the idea of good clean LPG power! and @ $0.65 its a winner! Les M.

Terminator
Wednesday 9th July 2008, 16:12
[QUOTE=itguy;164966]JezF will be about - he had his 850R (mte remap) converted with a BRC system and he's very happy with it.
Thanks! What kit do BCS use or is it their own? Any other good kits that work well? The petrol has now hit $1.70 for 95 ron here in Aussie although i use 98 ron 10% ethanol blend @ $1.78 i like the idea of good clean LPG power! and @ $0.65 its a winner! Les M.

Is that per litre or per gallon?!

itguy
Wednesday 9th July 2008, 16:48
that price will be per ltr (aus $ remember)

The BRC kit is their own, not anything rebranded.

check out www.brc.it and look for the 'sequent 56' system

itguy
Wednesday 9th July 2008, 16:50
re the lack of acceleration etc - the p2 V70 can seem a bit like that at times anyway as its not got that 'old school' turbocharged feeling about it unless you've had it chipped.

I consistantly *think* my p2 t5 is less powerful and slower than my old 850 T5 but in reality is isn't - it's just that you don't *feel* like you're doing those speeds any more..

Terminator
Wednesday 9th July 2008, 18:03
that price will be per ltr (aus $ remember)

The BRC kit is their own, not anything rebranded.

check out www.brc.it and look for the 'sequent 56' system

Dare I ask what a '****er' sensor is?!! (first letter t, second w - I think you know where this is going)

http://www.brc.it/default.aspx?page=18&lang=en

I am assuming something has been lost in translation rather than believing it is a novel device which sounds an alarm when someone drives too close behind you?