PDA

View Full Version : Cambelt replacement costs????

Liddo
Monday 7th July 2008, 08:37
Hi Guys n Gals,

What is the average price for a cambelt replacement on a T5 these days??? I presume it should include the tensioners and pulleys etc etc.

My car's done near on 110k, and I checked the belt yesterday, and its cracked all over the place. Just dont wnat it to snap on me :(

Dangerous Dave
Monday 7th July 2008, 09:13
If your any good at maintaining your own car you can do it yourself (if not, then its probably best to get it done professionally)

I did mine not long ago, and it was quite easy (considering the amount of room there isn't LOL). I think the belt cost me about £20 and I didn't replace the tensioner as its an expensive item, and doesn't need to be replaced.

Liddo
Monday 7th July 2008, 09:28
Cheers for that.

Im ok with a spanner, but I dont think I'll be having a go at the cambelt, just incase. I thought it'd be best to replace the tensioners, as they can go without warning cant they???

I'll ring my local indee an see

Cheers

Jimmie
Monday 7th July 2008, 09:56
If your belt is cracked you are best to replace the tensioners as well as the belt.
I would also suggest to fit only volvo parts because if it breaks you will have some comeback.

Liddo
Monday 7th July 2008, 10:45
So far, Ive been quoted £300 for the belt and tensioners!

DOH

Vikingxl
Monday 7th July 2008, 10:48
Independent should be less than that mate and have a word with Tomcat i think he has just changed his so might have a few tips for you

Liddo
Monday 7th July 2008, 11:11
Independent should be less than that mate and have a word with Tomcat i think he has just changed his so might have a few tips for you

Ok mate, I will do, cheers ;)

siamblue
Monday 7th July 2008, 11:22
Liddo are you sure its the cam belt that is cracked? The belts are changed at 80-100k depending on year,
When i did mine on my 00 T5 it worked out roughly £30 per part, that was tensioner and idler too,

Gary.

Liddo
Monday 7th July 2008, 11:34
Liddo are you sure its the cam belt that is cracked? The belts are changed at 80-100k depending on year,
When i did mine on my 00 T5 it worked out roughly £30 per part, that was tensioner and idler too,

Gary.

I presume it is mate, I presume it drives all the pumps, towards the front of the car? Is the VVT engine totally different to the older engines?? OR, does the cambelt hide under the cam covers???

Ohhhhhhhhh I'll have to take a photo :)

siamblue
Monday 7th July 2008, 11:45
No Mate that is the aux belt, the timing belt is under the cam cover,

Gary.

Rufe
Monday 7th July 2008, 11:52
£300 for cam belt and tensioner?? i suggest you pm me your reg mate, i will get you the true price, plus discount

simon

Liddo
Monday 7th July 2008, 11:56
No Mate that is the aux belt, the timing belt is under the cam cover,

Gary.

DOH! :sorry: Well, I suppose thats good then, sort of! Think I'll pop the cover off the cambelt then and take a look. If I can leave it another 10k, then that'd be great, cos I've got a paint job to pay for this month!

Cheers for the info Gary ;)

siamblue
Monday 7th July 2008, 11:56
Liddo how far are you from Nottingham? DPA will do the job for you, He is one of the best in the country,

Gary.

Liddo
Monday 7th July 2008, 11:57
£300 for cam belt and tensioner?? i suggest you pm me your reg mate, i will get you the true price, plus discount

simon

Simon, I tried a Volvo dealer this morning, but they couldnt find my reg! I'll PM you it anyhow mate. Swansea's a bit of a trek for me though ;)

siamblue
Monday 7th July 2008, 11:58
Chack your service history it should be done at 80 or 90k, aux belts are easy to replace, especially on the later cars,

Gary.

Liddo
Monday 7th July 2008, 12:03
Chack your service history it should be done at 80 or 90k, aux belts are easy to replace, especially on the later cars,

Gary.

Well, the books all stamped up, but nothing to say Cambelt, so Im in the lap of the gods, so to speak. Think I'll get it done soon, just fro peice of mind ;) Cheers again Ga ;)

Liddo
Monday 7th July 2008, 12:04
Liddo how far are you from Nottingham? DPA will do the job for you, He is one of the best in the country,

Gary.

Oh! And about 2hrs from Notts. Takes me that to get to Centre Parks ;)

Thanks anyway

Rufe
Monday 7th July 2008, 12:09
Simon, I tried a Volvo dealer this morning, but they couldnt find my reg! I'll PM you it anyhow mate. Swansea's a bit of a trek for me though ;)

i post out many parts every day it wouldnt be a problem to get them out through mail order

if reg doesnt go in i can use VIN number just as easily (will be on your log book).

basically theres two types of set up you could have, i would guess its the second option i have here, seeing as in another thread you say its a blue badge T5 (so a 1999 ME7)

TIMING BELT, TENSIONER, IDLER:
Pn's: 274338; 8670484; 8630590
Volvo Price: £128.08 inc vat
Our Price: £92.38 inc vat plus postage
Postage: £4.20 Royal Mail Parcel force
Availability: In Stock

Obviously it could be the other type, depending on your engine number (which i would get from your VIN) and price will differ slightly, but htats the one i would say you have to be honest. Even with postage included its still approx 25% off retail price, so your not going to get much better than that in my opinion, not for genuine parts.

If its aux belts you need then price will be different again of course, just let me know what you need

Hope that helps

Simon

Rufe
Monday 7th July 2008, 12:10

Gary.

Its a ME7 so its a 1999, so the cam belt is at 110k intervals, so it possibly hasnt been done

(I am on about cambelt, i can see your on about aux belt now)

Liddo
Monday 7th July 2008, 12:25
Its a ME7 so its a 1999, so the cam belt is at 110k intervals, so it possibly hasnt been done

(I am on about cambelt, i can see your on about aux belt now)

DOH! So it is due after all!

I'm sure I'll be in touch VERY shortly Simon.

Cheers mate

Paul