PDA

View Full Version : Indicators not working but they flash with the alarm!

Al115
Monday 7th July 2008, 08:04
Hi guys and girls,

My '99 T4 has a problem - the indicators don't work (direction stalk or hazards). They DO however flash when I set the alarm!

"Hazard" Fuse is OK FWIW.

Any suggestions please?

dublint5
Monday 7th July 2008, 12:51
sounds like relay problem

siamblue
Monday 7th July 2008, 13:06
Al if you tell me which one it is i am sure i have a spare here i can post out to you,

Gary

Vikingxl
Monday 7th July 2008, 13:22
Are you sure you havent sat in BMW by mistake?

Rufe
Monday 7th July 2008, 13:44
its probably the flasher relay, pretty common on the S and V 40's

Part number is 30870939, its a black relay with a white plastic bracket around its base, if thats any help to you

(i can supply these if you cant get one elsewhere)

Al115
Monday 7th July 2008, 13:45
LOL I saw that coming!

Word on the street is that it's the flasher relay down by the accelerator pedal.

Fortunately I have a second T4 here so I will swap them and let you know - Gary I might well be knocking on your door! :)

CONDYBOY
Monday 7th July 2008, 20:50
How did you get on? I take it that the alarm works on a seperate relay to the indicators?

Al115
Tuesday 8th July 2008, 09:16
I removed the old one but it was SUCH a pain to remove I didn't swap the other one from my second T4, instead I'm just going to get a new one, and test it. So no news as yet...

rs_andy
Tuesday 8th July 2008, 13:17
my s70's indicators now dont work at random intervals, I've found if I wiggle the key in the ignition they work dont know of yours is similar problem...

Rufe
Tuesday 8th July 2008, 14:10
no on the P1 models its probably a faulty connection with the ignition barrel, which means a new complete steering lock to sort it. This was a fairly common fault to be honest. While your indicators don't work, you will probably find most of the other electrics are not working either, like headlights etc. its usually a case of just making a small turn to the key to get them to work.

rs_andy
Tuesday 8th July 2008, 21:29
no on the P1 models its probably a faulty connection with the ignition barrel, which means a new complete steering lock to sort it. This was a fairly common fault to be honest. While your indicators don't work, you will probably find most of the other electrics are not working either, like headlights etc. its usually a case of just making a small turn to the key to get them to work.

doh!

I had a feeling you were gonna say that, any idea how painful it is to fix? and do I have to go to a local stealer or is it something I could get through yourself? Had noticed some other lights weren't working the first time it did it, dont think its something i should ignore cos one day it'll stop coming back on and you just know it'll be dark...

Rufe
Tuesday 8th July 2008, 22:07
doh!

I had a feeling you were gonna say that, any idea how painful it is to fix? and do I have to go to a local stealer or is it something I could get through yourself? Had noticed some other lights weren't working the first time it did it, dont think its something i should ignore cos one day it'll stop coming back on and you just know it'll be dark...

it depends on your skill level with a spanner, its a fairly tricky job but not impossible for the DIYer.

a new column lock (coded to existing key) is towards £180 these days, though i can bring the price down a bit. you swap over the antenna ring from the old one so you can use the existing keys and no need to get any programing done.

Al115
Friday 18th July 2008, 13:34
## UPDATE ##

I changed the flasher unit relay and still have the problem!

Alarm still flashes the lights, but hazards do not and indicator stalk does not either.

What else could be at fault??

Thanks for any advice. It's WINDING ME UP :D

MARKY70RRR
Friday 18th July 2008, 16:04
Is your air con workin and fan/DOES YOUR HIGH BEAM WORK ASWELL

Al115
Friday 18th July 2008, 16:14
I have no aircon and yes the high beam works...

Enigma666
Friday 18th July 2008, 18:19
Perhaps the switching unit itself or a loose wire on the back breaking the switch circuit then.
Drop the steering column cover off and have a look at the back

MARKY70RRR
Friday 18th July 2008, 18:26
i had a similar problem where indicators,aircon,fan,and dash lightin n stuff found out that wirin loom at front of car somewhere near radiator had rubbed thru apparentely a common prob on p1 v40

Al115
Friday 18th July 2008, 18:42
Thanks Enigma and Mark.

Enigma - both the hazards and indicator stalk are broken so I hope it's not the switch(es)

Mark - I'd heard about this problem but forgotten - will check the wiring loom right now.

Al115
Friday 18th July 2008, 19:47
Damn - wiring loom looks fine :(

So it's not the switches, not the fuse, not the relay, not the indicator bulbs, and not the wiring to the bulbs from the loom.

I suppose maybe the wires from the hazard switch and indicator stalk might join up in the cabin to go out into the engine bay. Does anyone have access to a wiring diagram to confirm?

Alternatively maybe one of the switch connectors has become dislodged - and maybe they both have to be plugged in to work (ie there's some kind of pass-through going on...) I'll check that too.

Any other ideas guys? :)

jimka
Friday 18th July 2008, 20:36
is the sealbelt warning light flashing and ticking?

Al115
Friday 18th July 2008, 20:50
SOLVED!!!

The hazard switch connector had become disconnected... so neither hazards nor indicators worked.

Thanks to EVERYONE for suggestions and help :)

CONDYBOY
Friday 18th July 2008, 23:27
glad you found your problem mate and a nice easy fix! Always nice when you find it!

Enigma666
Saturday 19th July 2008, 10:26
Congrats mate :)
Glad you got it sorted