PDA

View Full Version : Is my car a T5 or not??

jim_from_surrey
Monday 7th July 2008, 03:03
Just picked up a new motor, a 1999 S70 T5.

Theres some things that dont look right about it, and theres deffinately some descrepancies i want to get to the bottom of - maybe someone could shed some light on it?

On the reg document its called a S70 SE T5 AUTO but the engine size is shown as 1895cc...

It doesnt have a boot spoiler...

It has a T5 emblem & T5 alloys...

It has a T5 personalised number plate...

It doesn't have a sunroof (when i had the 850 T5 i believe all T5's had s/r's [i might be remembering that wrong though!] and it might be different for 70's anyway)...

It has the wood effect steering wheel (thin) and leather and alcantara seats which i didnt think the T5 had...

The service record book shows the car as a S70 T5 SE auto, sold by Pilling motor group ltd on 19/3/99 to highway vehicle management ltd (of stirling).

The engine doesnt look (to my mind) like a T5 engine, the engine covers just say volvo (no 20v etc) and the airbox top does not have turbo written on it...

It does have a turbo, and pulls pretty well... all turbo hoses are in the usual locations...

I've put the VIN into v@rdis (we're not supposed to speak about it are we?)and i just says invalid VIN...

The engine has the little rigid pipe coming out of the manifold and going back in as arrowed on the photo below...

The photo is NOT of my engine, just one i found googling "s70 engine" but the engine covers etc are like mine.

http://www.4x4cb.com/images/articles/volvoengine.jpg

I'm thinking it may be a 2.5 low pressure turbo - looking at the owners book, there is one, B5204T3 giving 225 bhp - anyone know if a vehicle with this engine would normally have a spoiler etc?

This would still mean the registration document is wrong.

Did they do the S70 with a 1.9 turbo engine? It seems a lot quicker than i would expect a 1.9 to be with such a heavy car.

I only got it home on sat eve and had a busy weekend doing other stuff so havent had a chance to note down all the engine and vin numbers off the plates to see what they say and if they all match etc.

Thoughts anyone?

Cheers guys

Jim

freaky fingers
Monday 7th July 2008, 06:36
Try this, it won't give you a full history but might be able to help

https://www.vehiclecheck.co.uk/VehicleCheck/index.html?persist_SubscriberID=101522&AutoLocateID=45FA2758309D0F4978A07B8F

when i pressed start it gave me this

Vehicle Registration Mark XXXX XXX
Make VOLVO
ModelS/V/C 70 CD T5 V70
Transmission & fuel type MANUAL 5 GEARS PETROL
Body Type ESTATE
Colour GREY

Rufe
Monday 7th July 2008, 07:27
hi mate

if you want you can pm me the registration and VIN number and i can check volvos main database for you, and let you know exactly what volvo list it as. (there was no 1.9 engine ever used in the P1's, so there is something defintely wrong there.)

Simon

howie
Monday 7th July 2008, 18:04
I feel so insulted about what you are saying about my old T5 , go to volvo go to where you want and when you do find out its a T5 you can apologise. 1900 turbo ? if you dont think its a T5 come back and get your money back, you got a T5 and personalised plate for next to nothing. Some people dont know when they have got a true bargain from a genuine person. I will wait for your apology.

PNuT
Monday 7th July 2008, 18:25
Just picked up a new motor, a 1999 S70 T5.

Theres some things that dont look right about it, and theres deffinately some descrepancies i want to get to the bottom of - maybe someone could shed some light on it?

On the reg document its called a S70 SE T5 AUTO but the engine size is shown as 1895cc...

It doesnt have a boot spoiler...

It has a T5 emblem & T5 alloys...

It has a T5 personalised number plate...

It doesn't have a sunroof (when i had the 850 T5 i believe all T5's had s/r's [i might be remembering that wrong though!] and it might be different for 70's anyway)...

It has the wood effect steering wheel (thin) and leather and alcantara seats which i didnt think the T5 had...

The service record book shows the car as a S70 T5 SE auto, sold by Pilling motor group ltd on 19/3/99 to highway vehicle management ltd (of stirling).

The engine doesnt look (to my mind) like a T5 engine, the engine covers just say volvo (no 20v etc) and the airbox top does not have turbo written on it...

It does have a turbo, and pulls pretty well... all turbo hoses are in the usual locations...

I've put the VIN into v@rdis (we're not supposed to speak about it are we?)and i just says invalid VIN...

The engine has the little rigid pipe coming out of the manifold and going back in as arrowed on the photo below...

The photo is NOT of my engine, just one i found googling "s70 engine" but the engine covers etc are like mine.

http://www.4x4cb.com/images/articles/volvoengine.jpg

I'm thinking it may be a 2.5 low pressure turbo - looking at the owners book, there is one, B5204T3 giving 225 bhp - anyone know if a vehicle with this engine would normally have a spoiler etc?

This would still mean the registration document is wrong.

Did they do the S70 with a 1.9 turbo engine? It seems a lot quicker than i would expect a 1.9 to be with such a heavy car.

I only got it home on sat eve and had a busy weekend doing other stuff so havent had a chance to note down all the engine and vin numbers off the plates to see what they say and if they all match etc.

Thoughts anyone?

Cheers guys

Jim

most of the stuff you mention is normal, the SE model is the base model so it wouldnt have come with a sunroof etc unless specified....

the engine is a newer (ME7 if its a T5) model & should have those covers, even the previous v/s70s with 4.4 didnt have turbo on the airbox....

interiors can be changed fairly easily, so it may have been an option or fitted at a later date

Wombatbomb
Monday 7th July 2008, 18:31
Just as an aside, the safety clip is missing off that pipe you have highlighted with an arrow ;)

PNuT
Monday 7th July 2008, 18:35
I feel so insulted about what you are saying about my old T5 , go to volvo go to where you want and when you do find out its a T5 you can apologise. 1900 turbo ? if you dont think its a T5 come back and get your money back, you got a T5 and personalised plate for next to nothing. Some people dont know when they have got a true bargain from a genuine person. I will wait for your apology.

he has a point.... DVLA do have it listed as 1895cc

The enquiry is complete

The vehicle details for T5 UPU are:

Date of Liability 01 09 2008
Date of First Registration 19 03 1999
Year of Manufacture 1999
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1895CC
CO2 Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type Petrol
Export Marker Not Applicable
Vehicle Status Licence Not Due
Vehicle Colour BLUE
Vehicle Type Approval null
The information contained on this page is correct at the time of enquiry.
Vehicle Excise Duty Rate for vehicle
6 Months Rate £101.75
12 Months Rate £185.00

freaky fingers
Monday 7th July 2008, 18:59
Vehicle Details
Vehicle Registration Mark T5UPU
Make VOLVO Model S70 SE T5
Transmission & fuel type AUTO 4 GEARS PETROL
Body Type 4 DOOR SALOON
Colour BLUE

says t5 on the check????

although if thr log book is wrong it isn't unknown for someone to inform dvla wrongly at 1st registration, a simple thing to remedy with a call to dvla.

Specs vary a lot, mines a cd t5 but has no sunroof or tracs just depends on what spec was avaliable when new and what the 1st owner decided on

PNuT
Monday 7th July 2008, 19:10
in italy you used to be able to get a 2 litre T5 :D

howie
Monday 7th July 2008, 19:13
The service record book shows the car as a S70 se T5 auto, because that is what it is ! why dont you phone volvo or take them the car and let them tell you. The car has a ME7 engine. I tell you what, I am fed up with this, dont bother to bring THE T5 to me i will bring your money back to you then you can be content again and wont have to worry because it might be a 1100cc panda engine. The plate is what i sold, the car was with it THE VOLVO IS A T5.
Please please please let me have the car back , so i can let someone who knows what he has and appreciates it. so just let me know when you want you money back, because if i had something what was not what i thought i would want my money back.

PNuT
Monday 7th July 2008, 19:17
me7 is an engine managment system, not an engine

howie
Monday 7th July 2008, 19:19
Vehicle Details
Vehicle Registration Mark T5UPU
Make VOLVO Model S70 SE T5
Transmission & fuel type AUTO 4 GEARS PETROL
Body Type 4 DOOR SALOON
Colour BLUE

says t5 on the check????

although if thr log book is wrong it isn't unknown for someone to inform dvla wrongly at 1st registration, a simple thing to remedy with a call to dvla.

Specs vary a lot, mines a cd t5 but has no sunroof or tracs just depends on what spec was avaliable when new and what the 1st owner decided on

I AM WAITING FOR MY APOLOGY. and i have your money. Want it back ? because i would take the T5 yes T5 back in a flash

Alan M
Monday 7th July 2008, 19:23
Howie PM sent.

PNuT
Monday 7th July 2008, 19:24
this thread is bizarre....

chow
Monday 7th July 2008, 19:30
i think the buyer sounds a complete fruitcake tbh

PNuT
Monday 7th July 2008, 19:33
he should fit right in ;)

Tomcat
Monday 7th July 2008, 19:47
If your that displeased with it, I'll have it off you. I'll even give it a damn good home.

Now can we please stop the bickering, this should have been handled by pm, not splashed across the forum.

PNuT
Monday 7th July 2008, 20:12
If your that displeased with it, I'll have it off you. I'll even give it a damn good home.

Now can we please stop the bickering, this should have been handled by pm, not splashed across the forum.

so its wrong to ask people on here about there car now? ive seen numerous people in the past who are unsure about certain things.... like my V70 has 280mm brakes, is it a T5....

the OP doesnt say he is unhappy, more confused IMHO

howie
Monday 7th July 2008, 20:24
Why didnt he ask me all the questions he had about the car? anyway THANKS to all of you.:Handshake You never know i might have a T5 for sale soon ( i hope ). lol:biggrin:

freaky fingers
Monday 7th July 2008, 20:25
I think some ones been smoking da ome grown

easy now rude boy

PNuT
Monday 7th July 2008, 20:27
Why didnt he ask me all the questions he had about the car? anyway THANKS to all of you.:Handshake You never know i might have a T5 for sale soon ( i hope ). lol:biggrin:

ok, why is it listed as 1895cc on the dvla site?

Mrsmopp
Monday 7th July 2008, 20:31
ok, why is it listed as 1895cc on the dvla site?

Human error? Incompetant pen pusher?

x

Tomcat
Monday 7th July 2008, 20:40
Pnut, if it was just a member asking a question about his own car then fine, this is someone who's just bought a car off another member questioning their honesty.

PNuT
Monday 7th July 2008, 20:45
Pnut, if it was just a member asking a question about his own car then fine, this is someone who's just bought a car off another member questioning their honesty.

it is the OP's car... he bought it!

maybe you can see something that isnt there?

Mrsmopp
Monday 7th July 2008, 20:45
it is the OP's car... he bought it!

maybe you can see something that isnt there?

Or maybe the two of you just have diferent opinions :)

x

PNuT
Monday 7th July 2008, 20:46
Human error? Incompetant pen pusher?

x

why has it not been addressed nearly 10 years after registation?

Mrsmopp
Monday 7th July 2008, 20:46
why has it not been addressed nearly 10 years after registation?

Maybe you should take it up with the DVLA :)

x

PNuT
Monday 7th July 2008, 20:48
Or maybe the two of you just have diferent opinions :)

x

which is fine, but why class the discusion as bickering?

Mrsmopp
Monday 7th July 2008, 20:49
which is fine, but why class the discusion as bickering?

You say discussion he says bickering, difference of opinion :)

x

PNuT
Monday 7th July 2008, 21:01
You say discussion he says bickering, difference of opinion :)

x

so we should stop discussing on a forum? cosmic plan

PNuT
Monday 7th July 2008, 21:03
Maybe you should take it up with the DVLA :)

x

i would if MY T5 documents said 1895cc.... however MY T5 documents say 2319cc

Mrsmopp
Monday 7th July 2008, 21:04
so we should stop discussing on a forum? cosmic plan

I think thats you interpretation my dear :) The rest of us are quite happy having open and reasonable discussion I think :)

x

Mrsmopp
Monday 7th July 2008, 21:04
i would if MY T5 documents said 1895cc.... however MY T5 documents say 2319cc

So you have no problem then other than to continue to try and have the last word lol :D

x

Tomcat
Monday 7th July 2008, 21:05
I'm not even sure why your getting involved Pnut, the remarks where aimed at Jim from Surrey and Howie.

PNuT
Monday 7th July 2008, 21:13
I'm not even sure why your getting involved Pnut, the remarks where aimed at Jim from Surrey and Howie.

jim from surrey has only posted once on the subject so why are you suggesting he should stop bickering?

your stop bickering line seemed to be aimed at the people actually posting on the subject

try using the quote facility in future to save confusion

Tomcat
Monday 7th July 2008, 21:15
No promises......will you climb down off yer high horse now please?, it's starting to make a mess.

PNuT
Monday 7th July 2008, 21:16
So you have no problem then other than to continue to try and have the last word lol :D

x

no, i cant lock threads on this forum so rarely get the chance to have the last word ;)

Mrsmopp
Monday 7th July 2008, 21:17
no, i cant lock threads on this forum so rarely get the chance to have the last word ;)

I rest my case LOL

x

PNuT
Monday 7th July 2008, 21:17
No promises......will you climb down off yer high horse now please?, it's starting to make a mess.

i hate horses...

Rufe
Monday 7th July 2008, 21:33
its not unusual for the dvla site to have mistakes, we see them all the time.

rs_andy
Monday 7th July 2008, 21:50
This car sounds exactly like mine, all the things you describe are the same on mine no sunroof 1999 T5, no spoiler, no turbo written on the covers AND mine says it's an 1800 on the logbook. I spoke to the people at the vehicle checking service (I cant remember the name now thicko) and they guy said it's quite common and he'd seen an XJ6 once listed as a tricycle!!!

Torch S70R
Monday 7th July 2008, 22:03
id go to your insurance company m8 ;) you should have quite a reduction coming :D

jim_from_surrey
Tuesday 8th July 2008, 03:44
Blimey ... i come to the computer to find this thread... last thing i read was rufe offering to check the details if i pm'd him.

Howie... in no way did i say i was unhappy with the car - i merely need to clear up what are factual inaccuracies in the paperwork... the engine size is incorrect on the logbook, as is the vin number (an s had become a 5 when compared to the vin plate) - i do not believe this is down to you , neither did i insinuate that it was.

The motivation for starting this thread is that i need to be sure of the engine and engine size, as unless i am able to satisfy my insurers as to the exact model and engine details, i am unable to insure it.

I am unable to insure it currently as there is not a 1.9 volvo s70, so you have to excuse me questioning it here - it's a matter that i must get a definative answer to.

If the governments plans for scaled road tax are put into force, presumably there would be a point in the future where a 1.9 engine attracts a lower duty than a 2.3, whereupon i would be breaking the law and defrauding the government of road tax.

Not once did i say that you had sold me anything i was unhappy with, neither did i impune your honesty at all.

If you do a google search for s70 2.5 you'll see images much like the engine i have - without the 20v legends etc.

If you do a google search for s70 t5 you'll see images of engines that do have the 20v legends etc - so you can see my wish to know more.

For people like tomcat to say i'm questioning Howies' honesty is just trying to inflame the thread, as is chow calling me a "complete fruitcake" - WTF?

"Some people dont know when they have got a true bargain from a genuine person. I will wait for your apology"

Howie, i was immediately struck by what a nice guy you were - i fully agree that i got a bargain from a genuine person.

Mate - i apologise unreservedly for any insult or upset this has caused you - this was not my intention at all.

I simply need to insure the car, so need to be sure of its engine size.

Crikey, these forums are hard work sometimes!

Jim

freaky fingers
Tuesday 8th July 2008, 06:17
sometimes?

Adge
Tuesday 8th July 2008, 08:20
Seemed a genuine question from Jim, along lines if many similar on here. Where else can we get so much easily accessible expertise?
Can't see any reason for causing offense!
Perhaps we're all getting a bit sensitive in the light of recent heated argument type threads.

pangster
Tuesday 8th July 2008, 09:35
Seemed a genuine question from Jim, along lines if many similar on here. Where else can we get so much easily accessible expertise?
Can't see any reason for causing offense!
Perhaps we're all getting a bit sensitive in the light of recent heated argument type threads.

i agree... can't see the problem with the guy asking a simple question to be honest.. :confused:

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 8th July 2008, 09:36

I think the voice of reason my have a very valid point

x

rs_andy
Tuesday 8th July 2008, 09:37
If you write on the logbook the bits that are wrong and send it back to the dvla they will correct it for you, I haven't bothered in case they ever do give reduced road tax for 1800s :-)

On another note can someone put up a pic of the safety clip on the fuel connection mentioned earlier in the thread (and if you have a spare I may be interested in purchasing it) as my car doesn't have one of those either!! explains why it came undone whilst driving....

chewy
Tuesday 8th July 2008, 10:13
This is like the 3litre police Volvos that were flying around at one point....

Wombatbomb
Tuesday 8th July 2008, 11:52
On another note can someone put up a pic of the safety clip on the fuel connection mentioned earlier in the thread (and if you have a spare I may be interested in purchasing it) as my car doesn't have one of those either!! explains why it came undone whilst driving....

I braved the wonderful British summer for a few moments with a camera....

rs_andy
Tuesday 8th July 2008, 13:12
you're a hero wombat ;-)

hmm, I've never seen one of those before, can't think why speeds never mentioned it was missing.....

anybody got one kicking about they dont want?

t5owner
Tuesday 8th July 2008, 14:39
When i bought my first T5

It was on the log book as being 1700 cc although the seller did point this out at time of purchase (perhaps howie missed this when wrapped up in the sale)

A quick call to a volvo main dealer confirmed it was a T5 so i sent the log book off to dvla with the correct engine size noted in the changes and it came back a few days later with the correct size on the log book with no questions asked

It`s quite common to have mistakes on log books you only have to look at all the explod`s that are apparently 3.0 litre`s according to the log book it`s an easy mistake to make and just as easy to rectify

Cheers

stuart

t5owner
Tuesday 8th July 2008, 14:47
you're a hero wombat ;-)

hmm, I've never seen one of those before, can't think why speeds never mentioned it was missing.....

anybody got one kicking about they dont want?

Hi andy,

The part number i beleive is 8649736 a quick call to rufe at frf or oliver at tms should ensure you get the correct part

Cheers

stuart

Rufe
Tuesday 8th July 2008, 15:46
yes i can get those clips

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/rufe_v6/clamp1.jpg

CLAMP:
P/n: 8649736
Volvo Price: £0.95 inc vat
Our Price: £0.80 inc vat, plus postage
Postage: £1.14 Royal Mail 2nd CLass recorded delivery

Hope that helps

Simon

howie
Tuesday 8th July 2008, 19:44
QUOTE "The motivation for starting this thread is that i need to be sure of the engine and engine size, as unless i am able to satisfy my insurers as to the exact model and engine details, i am unable to insure it.

I am unable to insure it currently as there is not a 1.9 volvo s70, so you have to excuse me questioning it here - it's a matter that i must get a definative answer to.

If the governments plans for scaled road tax are put into force, presumably there would be a point in the future where a 1.9 engine attracts a lower duty than a 2.3, whereupon i would be breaking the law and defrauding the government of road tax. "

What utter RUBBISH ! do what I did and all the previous owners, phone up an insurance company , when asked what it is tell them the truth, its a T5 2.3 job done, I have never had an insurance company ask to have a look at the registration document of any car, the car is 9 years old and has probably had the same engine size on the registration document since day one. What is the problem ? mountains / molehills come to mind.

chow
Tuesday 8th July 2008, 20:07
It wasnt just the paperwork you were whining about it was the spoiler ,the engine, the sunroof, the steering wheel, the cam cover etc , did you actually look at the car and the paperwork before you bought it or had howie gagged and blindfolded you at the time?

nobananas
Tuesday 8th July 2008, 22:09
DVLA's often wrong, I've had a few motors with the wrong CC on the docs. Surely the engine code is stamped on the block somewhere. My 850 T5 has climate control (that doesn't work !) and no sunroof.

Rufe
Tuesday 8th July 2008, 22:23
not stamped on the block i dont think, but you can use the full chassis number to tell you

in this case the 6th and 7th digits of the vin number refer to engine type

if its code 53 its a T5, simple as that (B5234T3)

(some other models have different codes for this)

woz
Tuesday 8th July 2008, 22:26
I loooove this thread - someone is being realy touchy like they got PMT or something.
Go on take a chill pill buddy. You cant take someone seriusly who takes themself so serious and has NO sense of proportion.

He he he

freaky fingers
Tuesday 8th July 2008, 23:09
My birth certificate states I have a dad

Thats news to my friends

jim_from_surrey
Tuesday 8th July 2008, 23:36
It wasnt just the paperwork you were whining about it was the spoiler ,the engine, the sunroof, the steering wheel, the cam cover etc , did you actually look at the car and the paperwork before you bought it or had howie gagged and blindfolded you at the time?

oh dear, chow, you really dont get the hang of this reading lark do you...

all the previous T5's i've had have had a spoiler and sunroof and marked cam covers - this one doesn't so its reasonable to ASK (not whine) about them.

Howie, didnt mean to offend or upset, but it seems i have so there you go - i cant change that.

I've apologised and thats all there is to it.

As you said, a true bargain and for that i thank you.

Hessitancy issue already sorted and it passed an mot today so i've done as you hoped the new owner would, sorted the problems and will use the car as it's intended.

marky 76
Wednesday 9th July 2008, 00:00
wow a simple question ended up in a heated debate again ,,,,,, far to many slanging matches on here over the last few months for my likeing ,,, i would say that i,m really not interested in reading these types of threads but yes some bright person will add but you must have because you have replied to this ,,,,,, sorry getting bored of reading them and the pettyness,, like a earlier thread suggests do it by pm , and rufe offerd a good gesture so it should of stopped back then ,,,

Tomcat
Wednesday 9th July 2008, 00:03
Agreed, I think there's nothing more to be gained from this thread. Can any other issues be discussed via pm please..