PDA

View Full Version : AT fluid pump?

MarkGolf
Sunday 17th April 2005, 16:35
Does the AT have a fluid pump to pump fluid through the cooler?
I've figured this must be my problem!! Well, AT geting too hot

On a cold wet night, the car will run for 40mins - 1 hour..

On a nice warm day, it'll last only 20 mins and just not want to move...

It MUST be a temperature problem I have..
Just wondering if it has a pump, which has given way on my car and not cooling the fluid.. If not that, a faulty temp sensor or something!?
Im going to a local place (cheers Nik G) to get codes checked, but I dont think anything will come on unless I take the car then when its not engaging in gear..

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 17th April 2005, 18:44
The torque converter is the pump -within the AT system. I would check to ensure you do not have a blockage in the cooler. If the filters in the box are blocked then this would also prevent proper circulation of the ATF. IMHO I think that you need to have the box dropped and investigated.
I am reluctant to say one way or the other, but it seems increasingly likely that the box is on its way out in its current state. The ATF is only overheating as a symptom.

MarkGolf
Monday 18th April 2005, 16:50
Damn, ebay/part ex it is! :(

Anyways of checking the filters or anything without having to drop the box?

Not sure how much it is to have the torqur convertor replaced, but can guessing its going to be alot..

Probably going to have to bite the bullet and get rid and buy the german car I shud have got in the 1st place.....

lance
Monday 18th April 2005, 17:08
I owned german motors before volvos, and must say the volvos have been cheaper to fix and equally if not more reliable

MarkGolf
Monday 18th April 2005, 17:56
Must be the fact mines an auto..
From a german car background so Im biased..lol
But im soo desperate to just get rid of the stress of having a car with the problem its got, im looking for a straight swap at a trader, and am sooo desperate im considering a calibra!! ahhh

fraz13
Monday 18th April 2005, 18:13
All av ever driven is auto's, only car a ever had prblems wit the box was a citroen diseasle auto, citroen says it all a suppose :slap: have to say tho the Volvo is the best car av ever had, am sorry to hear 1 car's put ye off autos

MarkGolf
Monday 18th April 2005, 21:08
Ohh, its just done my head in!

Just did another fluid change for the sake of it, and everytime I've done a fluid change, i only ever get 5 litres out of it!
I drain the fluid after a good run so its hot, soo hot you get burn marks on your fingers, lol, undo the lower cooler hose and even the upper one and only 5 litres all told!

WHY??/
Well, replaced it with 5 litres and the car seemed to wanna give up alot sooner than it did before hand!

Had enough and the car will 100% be gone by this weekend!!

One more thing, there is ALOT of heat coming from under the car, and even engine bay, all from the box, theres defo a cooling prob... I think one of Daves coolers cud aid the prob, if not solve, but I dont really want to spend the cash on someting I may not need...
Anyways of checking if the cooling is blocked?

fraz13
Monday 18th April 2005, 21:32
The torque converter holds loads of fluid, no way of getting that out without dropping the box a wouldnt think, also by changing the fluid a few times the fluid that was in the torque converter would have mixed with the new fluid and its more than likely that you got all if not 99% of the original fluid out

Fluid deffo aint the problem, a cant imagine how gutted your feeling mate :brokenhea

A wish ye all the happiness in yer nxt car :B_thumb:

Wobbly Dave
Monday 18th April 2005, 23:55
Mark, it is truly unfortunate that you have come to grief on this. We need to face facts namely - The box needs some money spending on it. There is no 2 ways about it and faffing around continually changing the fluid is pointless. The initial ATF change was worthwhile to see if it was a minor problem - which it clearly isnt.

I would not fit one of my coolers to your car even if you wanted one, as it is my opinion I would be only prolonging the enevitable, and it would not be fair of me to take your money.
Autos are great but they are expensive when they go wrong. This would apply to Jags, Bmers and Volvo's alike.

As I see it you have 3 choices.
1. Sell as a going concern, with the imminent repair unfixed.
2. Scrap and break for parts.
3. Fix the box.

There are 2 solutions to #3 - 2nd hand box or recon. A 2nd hand box is an unknown but will be cheaper. I can line up a repair for £1200 in Birmingham if you wish. Car will need to be transported, as you say it cannot go further than 40 mins in any direction. I will use my contacts to see if we can't do this bit on a cost only basis (fuel). When the box comes back with the car - it will return with a 12 month warrantee and I know my guy will do an excellent job.

Eventually the box will give out, IMHO in its current state.

There really is little else I can say. Sorry mate - tough break - but it happened to me too.