PDA

View Full Version : Strut Brace

Bakey
Monday 1st November 2004, 14:23
Anyone know if you can get these for an 850 T5?? and if you can has anyone done it and what difference did it make???

Looking under the hood there doesnt seem to be enough space for one but I'm probably wrong as usuall :wink:

Wobbly Dave
Monday 1st November 2004, 14:57
Strut Brace for an 850 is a Volvo OEM part and can be bought for £75 including VAT from any Volvo parts dealer. One of the first mods I did. Tightens up the front end a lot I think. If you couple it with a decent suspension upgrade like Guy has - then the result is remarkable.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 1st November 2004, 14:59
Here is a picture of my mates (Martyn's) T5

http://www.bigredvolvos.co.uk/images/devon_july04/t5man_engine_front.jpg

as you can see - the brace fits atop the suspension turrets

Bakey
Monday 1st November 2004, 16:16
cant see your pic dave, just a red cross. I've put one on the primera and it worked a treat but looking at the 850 it just looked like the brake fluid res and other things would be in the way!

its holding the road well as it is and want to run it a bit longer before modding it (i just think its best to know where your starting from before going on a mod mission!!) but thats probably gona be the 1st on the list

Bakey
Monday 1st November 2004, 16:17
awww nice!!! i can see the pic now.... so thats how it misses the brake res!!!!

Wobbly Dave
Monday 1st November 2004, 16:28
It is not classed as a modification because it is an original part for the car.

Bakey
Monday 1st November 2004, 16:49
:worship: so why didnt mine have one fitted as standard then or was it just a saloon thing?!?!?!

Pedro Fandango
Monday 1st November 2004, 17:21
It is not classed as a modification because it is an original part for the car.
i understood ANYTHING additional to the original spec is a mod

Wobbly Dave
Monday 1st November 2004, 17:22
I think it was considered more of a bug fix. None were fitted as standard.

However if you look at the newer cars - the S60 and V70 have them already integrated. The SB on the S60 forms part of the top engine mount too.

Bakey
Tuesday 2nd November 2004, 00:20
i understood ANYTHING additional to the original spec is a mod

lol :wink: does that mean my "Baby On Board" sticker classes as a mod too cov.... :banana: anything a specific model doesnt come out of the factory with is a mod my book

I think it was considered more of a bug fix. None were fitted as standard.

However if you look at the newer cars - the S60 and V70 have them already integrated. The SB on the S60 forms part of the top engine mount too.

Thought it might have just been something they fitted to saloons and not estates to make them feel a bit sportier but I was surprised when there wasnt one already fitted. The only problem i've came across with her so far is on the bumpier B roads. Whats guy gone for suspension wise? do koni do adjustable's for the 850?

GuyD5
Tuesday 2nd November 2004, 00:26
Hi Bakey

I went to VT for the upgrade and they recommended and fitted Monroe adaptive shocks and Eibach lowered springs ... together with the strut brace and new Conti Contact Sport 2's all round .... the beast was transformed :D

Would have been pointless going for anything adjustable as I would never have bothered adjusting them :wink:

This setup works to perfection for me :thewave:

Bakey
Tuesday 2nd November 2004, 00:41
:biggrin: sounds top notch mate and love the Eibach springs on the Prim too, work a treat with the konis but your rite... they dont get fiddled with enough to warrant them really just fitted koni kit to my bikes and always stuck with them from there really. What sort of price tag are we looking at here if you dont mind me askin?

GuyD5
Tuesday 2nd November 2004, 08:04
Bit of a dent in the bank account, about £800 all in plus £350 for the tyres (with QuickFit's 25% off for 4 deal).... but what the heck, it's only money :wink:

They had her for 24 hours (loan car supplied) so they didn't have to rush things ... unbelievable improvement in every respect .... nice supple ride when trundling round and no body-roll when she's being pushed a bit ... just like a good woman should be really :hidesbehi

Haven't once regretted the investment 'cos it truly compliments the RICA :sinner:

Bakey
Tuesday 2nd November 2004, 11:32
Tyres really need to be done soon, i'm sat on euromaster at the mo and they dont seem to fill me with much confidence!!!!!

GuyD5
Tuesday 2nd November 2004, 14:49
I've been very impressed with the Continentals ... good grip in dry and wet ... and should last much better than P-Zeros .... cost was a major factor in the initial choice, but I haven't been disappointed in them at all :)