PDA

View Full Version : Uprating suspension

Ed.
Saturday 5th July 2008, 13:18
I'm thinking of changing the old suspension set up on my t5 estate to something that will allow the car to handle better than a barge. There are speed humps around my area so i would prefer not too much of a drop in ride height. I think my car has nivomats as well, and would prefer to keep that. So what options do i have?

Thanks,

Ed

Ed.
Thursday 10th July 2008, 01:03
Right, i have had a look around and i am getting the feeling that HR springs is what i need as these are compatible with self leveling suspension? What about the shocks? Any suggestions? Would changing the anti roll bars make much difference?

Ed

dooby
Thursday 10th July 2008, 11:16
Hi Ed,

sorry - missed this post. I think you're right, I've only found H&R springs which claim to be compatible with Nivomats.

As for shocks, you can get replacement Nivomats from Volvo (genuine) or PartsForVolvos (Sachs OEM). They are expensive though, the Sachs ones are £180 a piece!

For front shocks, if you can get them separately, lots of people recommend the Koni FSD. These should help with your speed bumps - with my setup I slow down and wince as I go over them :-(

I replaced the front ARB with a new genuine Volvo one, have Volvo droplinks and am running a Koni sports suspension kit and I wouldn't describe it as boat-like at all. I know people recommend the uprated ARB kit (front and rear) from IPD but for the cost I can't yet justify it.

At the front the bushes on the ARB might be tired if they're old, but at the back I believe it's just a metal bar held with bolts, so the old one won't wear out it just flexes more than the thicker IPD one would.

HTH, Pete

Terminator
Thursday 10th July 2008, 13:11
As the Nivomats are load bearing and the springs are soft to compensate it is not just a case of replacing them with an alternate make of shock. Several posts on this subject on the V70 forum and the consensus seems to be one of the following routes:

1/ Replace like for like at the rear - Expensive but cheaper than the following and can use Koni FSD or Bilstein B6 on the front- :

2/ Replace with Intrax coil overs all round - Even more expensive but good results.

3/ Replace with Ohlins all round - The daddies but seriously expensive.

Alan M
Thursday 10th July 2008, 21:01
Aren't there two sizes of Nivomats, one slightly longer than the other?? I was going to get some springs but was under the impression that my nivomats are the longer ones and will not accomodate a drop in height with them on.