PDA

View Full Version : T5 Died - Urgent help

Pedro
Saturday 5th July 2008, 12:03
Hi folks

2001 V70 T5, started ok. Switched off and wouldn't start again. Clicking from behind right side of dash and engine light flashing in time with clicks. No other lights on. Won't bump start, but will jump start. However, when jumping battery disconnected the T5 stops again.

Charged battery (took over 24hrs). Central locking and alarm working. Left overnight and whole thing dead again.

Hoping that it is just a total discharge on battery and it won't charge properly due to this, but if anyone can shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Only car and have a week old baby to get to places.

Cheers

Pedro

AKA Pedroclan

Tomcat
Saturday 5th July 2008, 12:09
Does sound like a knackered battery, however there may be something on the car that's draining it over night.

t5owner
Saturday 5th July 2008, 18:30
24 hrs to charge a battery thats well knacked mate it should take about 8 hours to fully charge even on trickle

Also check the battery for your alarm and siren as if thats flat the car will not do anything as it will be stuck in immobilised mode

Cheers

stuart

Alan M
Saturday 5th July 2008, 21:46
As above, sounds like a dead battery. Might be wh calling the AA or RAC out if your a member and get them to check if there is a power drain when the car is switched off. Go through everything you can inside and outsie car checking lights and switches ( anything obvious) to see if there is something left on.

freaky fingers
Saturday 5th July 2008, 23:59
once the battery is shown as fully charged or replaced lock the car up at night and check it.

It's not unknown sometimes for interior/glovebox/footwell/sunvisor vanity lights or even boot lights to be not securely turned off.

I found one oncewhere the little had toy make up and was putting it on using the vanity mirror and light, she hadn't closed it properly or the contact was dodgy and I woke to find a flat bettery car, took about a day to find it.

Then as mentioned alarms are a known drain

CONDYBOY
Sunday 6th July 2008, 14:31
as above defo a knackered battery mate. remember to check the alternator aswell, make sure it's charging correctly, should read around 14.5v when engine is running.

Pedro
Monday 7th July 2008, 11:08
Thanks for the replies folks. Jumped it yesterday and left the battery hooked up for a little while. Kept going on disconnection so thought I would chance my luck and take it for a spin. Did about 30 miles, stopped for 4 hours or so. Started up again, no problem. Assuming alternator ok as it obviously charged in that distance to start it again some time later. Everything seemed fine except:

1. revs above 1500 or so, the rear screen demist switch led lights up and the fan comes on for the climate control, even with the fan at off.
2. revs above 2500 or so and the rear screen demist led starts flashing
3. after a few minutes driving the message 'over voltage stop safely' comes up on the dash

Totally confused. How can a knackered battery be over voltage? Anyway, got to it this morning and the thing is dead again. Nothing left on draining it so looking at a new battery.

Checked batteries online for a replacement and can't find anything like i've got. Mine is a bit of a brute, longer than normal, 90Ah and 800A. Is an ex-plod so maybe they needed a big battery.

What are you guys running in your V70's, and what works well?

Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

Pedro