PDA

View Full Version : Few problems

bradley
Saturday 5th July 2008, 11:11
There are a few issues with my V40, i've only had the car a month and never had a V40 before so dont know if these are common etc. The car is a 97 V40

Firstly, are the heater cotrols supposed to be lit up?? When driving at night, there is a huge dark spot where the heater controls are, doesnt seem normal! lol
Secondly, due to the whole headlights staying on etc, i found it to look better with just the sidelights on, now, is there not supposed to be a warning noise when i turn the ignition off but leave the sidelights on??

And another thing, lol, the heater control knobs and random butons on mine are sratched quite badly seem to mark them when you just poke them with your finger nail, can i get some replacements?? And where from?

I have a few more querys, but they are just about modifications to the car etc, ill throw them up once i can resolve some of these issues! lol

Many Thanks,
Bradley

CONDYBOY
Saturday 5th July 2008, 11:15
Hi mate,
From memory the heater controls do not light up, and when you have side lights on the car thinks that you want them on as parking lights when the ignition is off so there's no warning buzzer.

Ebay is your best bet for silly things like that search for "v40 breaking" and contact whoever is breaking their car and ask for parts and prices, I never accept their first price:)

jim_from_surrey
Monday 7th July 2008, 02:16
Hi Bradley

I've got a 1998 V40 and the heater controls on mine light up, or at least they used to, now the aircon (r/h) one doesnt light - the other 2 do.

There was a thread on here or volvoforums about replacing the bulbs but apparently its a pain in the @rse, so i've never tried.

bradley
Monday 7th July 2008, 22:44
Ooooo, something to look into now at least. I know of a chap that does all the LED interior bulb etc, so i may have to get some bulbs ordered. Just need to know which ones they are.......... lol

Cheers

Rufe
Monday 7th July 2008, 23:10
i can get you the 3 standard bulbs if you want, and quite possibly the small switches, though i cant help with LEDS.

no warning buzzer on any volvos either, would have been nice though!

bradley
Tuesday 8th July 2008, 22:18
Something else as well.................. lol

There is a whining noise coming from the front in the area of the Aux belt. I first though it would just need a new belt, but i noticed a rubbery kind of sqeaking noise coming from the steering when turned full when cold. The whining noise also changes when you apply full lock when stationary. I checked the fluid level and it is to be above maximum, which kind of leads me to believe that the previous owner must have related it to a steering fault. I personally thought it to be the steering pump, which would make sense of the whining aux belt/ steering pump noise. I just wanted to know if anyone else has had/ heard of similar faults etc. Or if anyone could point in the direction of someone who knows what they are talking about when it comes to car, pref the bradford/ leeds area.

Thanks Again,
Bradley

CONDYBOY
Monday 14th July 2008, 18:31
Any whining noise from the steering generally indicates that the power steering pump is on its way out, I'm guessing it sounds like a whistle when driving? Try fresh fluid in it first (This has only ever worked on my old mazda323f) But I'd suggest changing the P/S pump. Srry about the lights on the heater controls I didn't think they lit up! Oh well learned something new!

bradley
Monday 14th July 2008, 19:17
Sounds more electric powered car than a whistle, either way, i've just bought a cheap second hand one to try out. So that'll be fitted once i get the aux belt and tensioners ordered.

CONDYBOY
Tuesday 15th July 2008, 21:06
Let me know how you get on It defo sound like the pump is on its way out.