PDA

View Full Version : V40 T4 owners unite!

jim_from_surrey
Saturday 5th July 2008, 02:03
Hello everyone

Looks like i'm the first poster in this section since the reboot!

The V40 side of the vpcuk has never been that busy but there were some good posts here so its a real shame that the later ones have gone!

I always found the v/s40 forums at volvoforums.org.uk to be busier but seeing as they bit the dust a couple of months back, its all looking a bit bleak for us right now.

If you have a V40 T4, reply - lets get together!

Regards

Jim

CONDYBOY
Saturday 5th July 2008, 11:01
That's discrimination! I've got a t3. Can I still join your gang?lol

Mrsmopp
Saturday 5th July 2008, 11:18
We had one do we count?

x

jim_from_surrey
Sunday 6th July 2008, 01:05
T3... as in T3/T4 garrett/volvo turbo itself?

As far as i know, if it's volvo and it's got a turbo, you're welcome on these boards!

Moppy, you always count on here - you know that! ;-)

Just picked up a nice S70 T5 today (well, yesturday now) well worth the 2.5 hour train journey there.

So... what do i do with my avatar? V40 or S70 ? I've only just changed it from the pic of my old 850!

Spose i'll set about curing the mysterious running problem that the 70 apparently has although all ran fine for me on the way home.

Then i'll set about curing all the mysterious problems the V40 has - but thats another story...

CONDYBOY
Sunday 6th July 2008, 11:27
What's up with the 40?

jim_from_surrey
Monday 7th July 2008, 02:10
well, the main problem at the moment is that theres a loud metallic rattling at various engine speeds from the turbo, and there feels like no boost - i'm presuming its the actuator or something... keep meaning to start a new thread about it.

The rattling itself doesnt change at all with the revs - it sounds a bit like a loose exhaust clamp (it's not).

One good thing is that my mpg has increased from 24.3 av to about 28 lol.

That and the engine subframe bushes are worn, as is the nivomat rear suspension (150k+) and the fronts dont seem so good either.

Think the suspension mounts need doing too as it creaks over speedhumps, worse in the cold, and it seems to bash and clunk on poor road surfaces so all in all the suspension needs sorting i think.

In all its pretty slow, rattly, clunky, and creaky.

Still think its the best looking estate i've ever had, especially on 225 rubber like mine.

Slomo
Monday 7th July 2008, 10:18
what about S40 T4??? :p

Brocky 81
Monday 7th July 2008, 13:09
I'm currently driving a 01 v40 T4, well i say that its the wife who uses it as a daily drive. and were both agree its the best car we've owned so far!
you've got to love the grandad looking sleeper cars. All my mates laughed when i bought it, till i took them out in it!

CONDYBOY
Monday 7th July 2008, 20:58
I'm currently driving a 01 v40 T4, well i say that its the wife who uses it as a daily drive. and were both agree its the best car we've owned so far!
you've got to love the grandad looking sleeper cars. All my mates laughed when i bought it, till i took them out in it!

Hey, I agree the V40 aint a slomo!:D I took some of my mates out in my tractor and they were well impressed with the acceleration from 50 to 70+ ahem!

Check the top mount on your suspension as well as the normal bushes. I had a torn rubber in one of my top mounts (the bit the strut bolts into and it has the three bolts for the bell housing) and it caused squeeking aand clunking on rough roads. just a thought:)

JUDGENINJA
Monday 20th April 2009, 16:10
Super Old post.... Just thought I'd mention I'm in the club now...

t4 chump
Tuesday 18th August 2009, 21:24
ive got a red v40 t4 s can i join. i had same trouble when i bought mine still say im drivin a pipe and slippers car but surprisingly they cant catch me :)

Slomo
Wednesday 19th August 2009, 08:51
I have got a S40 T4 1999 that is errr slightly modified :)

Al115
Wednesday 19th August 2009, 09:28
I've got a 2001 that's even more modified :D

Still ain't running spot on yet though but we'll get there...

Filterlab
Wednesday 19th August 2009, 11:43
I had a very nice '98 V40 T4 a couple of years back (now in the ownership of Kent Canary), this is the only picture I have to hand though; an image caught on our company CCTV during a snowy period back in February '07:

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z121/Filterlab/Snowon5T4.jpg

rossmanabz
Monday 24th August 2009, 19:58
i am wanting to join

Al115
Monday 24th August 2009, 20:26
i had a very nice '98 v40 t4 a couple of years back (now in the ownership of kent canary), this is the only picture i have to hand though; an image caught on our company cctv during a snowy period back in february '07:

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z121/filterlab/snowon5t4.jpg

note distinct lack of reverse-donuts in the car park :)