PDA

View Full Version : 2003 V70 Instrument Failure

JOHN 850
Thursday 3rd July 2008, 21:32
Have the above problem on my car - all the binnicle instruments have failed with the exception of the seatbelt warning light & yellow management light ? If I give it a bang a few times with my knuckle they usually come back on, so it looks something like a dry joint - has anyone else had this problem ?

Cheers,

John.

Baj
Thursday 3rd July 2008, 21:51
I think the majority of the lights in a P2 are surface mount LEDs so it isnt a mass bulb fail.

I would start with checking the connector plug on the back. If it is circuit board based you will have a hell of a job I would have thought.
I wish you luck.

Loadsamiles
Thursday 3rd July 2008, 22:26
It is indeed a dry joint. The issue was well documented on the VOC forums before they disapeared up their own A***

Redbrick
Thursday 3rd July 2008, 23:07
Yup sounds like DIM failure.

Someone said they had got a replacement from here:
http://www.bba-reman.com/catalogue/DetailedProduct.aspx?DetailedProduct=1237

Someone else said they had had it re soldered.

As I understand it a second hand one from a scrappy won't work as they are coded to the original car.

My warranty covered the cost (thank God) and I ended up with the later version with the silver rings around the instruments.

Loadsamiles
Friday 4th July 2008, 00:58
Yup sounds like DIM failure.

Someone said they had got a replacement from here:
http://www.bba-reman.com/catalogue/DetailedProduct.aspx?DetailedProduct=1237

Someone else said they had had it re soldered.

As I understand it a second hand one from a scrappy won't work as they are coded to the original car.

My warranty covered the cost (thank God) and I ended up with the later version with the silver rings around the instruments.

Spot on!

Loadsamiles
Friday 4th July 2008, 01:02
HEY WOBBLY....

A new sideline for you!!!

Sod the ABS repairs they are so yesterday.

D.I.M Repairs... The way forwards.

Same script diferent module.

TomS60
Friday 4th July 2008, 12:47
I think the 2003 S60/V70's were bulbs. I thought only the MY05> and the R's were SMLED's.......but I could be wrong!!!

JOHN 850
Monday 7th July 2008, 22:11
Cheers for that guy's - will ring bba for a cost tomorrow. Have had it out & the connections are o.k. - if a s/h board won't work, not quite sure how a recon works, but I guess they'll tell me all !
Wonder if it is just one spot on the board that goes i.e. one part or anywhere ? Seems like it just effects 2002/3 D5 models though for some reason.
Cheers,

John.

JOHN 850
Wednesday 16th July 2008, 14:17
Just a quick thank you to everyone who replied - sent it down to BBA last thursday & go it back repaired via UPS yesterday lunch for £150 +VAT & carriage. Plugged in & all now fine ! Certainly better than the £780 from my local steeler for a new one & no, s/h ones won't work as all tied up with software issues.

Cheers again guy's,

John.

Redbrick
Wednesday 16th July 2008, 14:31
Top result :biggrin: