PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Throttle Module

Terminator
Thursday 3rd July 2008, 20:31
Just had the ETM on my 1999 V70R cleaned and revised software downloaded. This was done free under warranty at my local dealer, Doves in Broadbridge Heath (nr Horsham). Delighted with the outcome; smoother idle and much better throttle response.

Pleased that Volvo will do this free, under warranty for all post 1999 V70s with under 200k miles fitted with the dreaded Marenelli ETM.

frumpy
Thursday 3rd July 2008, 20:57
Interesting... When you say under warranty, does the car need to still be under a valid warranty?

cheers
Paul

Bigrobv70
Thursday 3rd July 2008, 21:20
how do you find out if this is applicable to your car?
would the dealer be able to tell me if i phoned them?

cheers rob

snoop69
Friday 4th July 2008, 10:59
I had mine done FOC a couple of months ago.

The car felt like the brakes were being applied randomly.

Lipscombes Canterbury checked the reg & chassis details & could find no record of any software 'flashes' being done to my car so they didnt
charge me.

If it had been done in the past it could have cost £300

She drives real nice now :B_steerin

01c70t5
Friday 4th July 2008, 11:05
how do you find out if this is applicable to your car?
would the dealer be able to tell me if i phoned them?

cheers rob

Best people to speak to are Volvo Customer Services

0845 756 4636

Ask them about the ETM clean and Software upgrade, give them your reg (or VIN) and away you go. If it's due a clean and flash they'll give you a job number to take to your local dealer.

Any problems with local dealers not doing it, they're also the people to call.

Terminator
Friday 4th July 2008, 11:16
Interesting... When you say under warranty, does the car need to still be under a valid warranty?

cheers
Paul

No, the car does not actually need to be under warranty and no check of the service history was made. Your local Volvo Dealer, armed with your reg and chassis number will make a call to Volvo UK to establish whether or not this work has been done in the past and if not will authorise your dealer to do the work. The Dealer invoices Volvo Uk who pick up the bill. The procedure of cleaning the ETM and downloading the software took about 3 hours so this is over £300 worth of 'free' labour.

As I said, the only stipulation is that the vehicle's mileage must be under
200k.

snoop69
Friday 4th July 2008, 11:22
My dealer told me that due to a software error,some cars had gone
into 'limp mode' & was seen as a safety issue.

As a gesture of goodwill,they offered a full software upgrade FOC &
as mine had not been done they still offered the free service.

Rufe
Friday 4th July 2008, 12:00
everything has been covered above really but just to reiterate, just call your dealership up, if applicable they will get you booked in. no valid warranty required. job involves a clean of the ETM and the software upgrade

i had to have my C70 done a few months back, and it was eligible. car was like a different car once it was done.

only thing i will say is that if the ETM has completely failed and a new one is required, then this will not be covered and you do have to pay for it, though it is at a discount. generally the clean and software does the trick nicely though

Bigrobv70
Friday 4th July 2008, 12:27
Best people to speak to are Volvo Customer Services

0845 756 4636

Ask them about the ETM clean and Software upgrade, give them your reg (or VIN) and away you go. If it's due a clean and flash they'll give you a job number to take to your local dealer.

Any problems with local dealers not doing it, they're also the people to call.

would this be the reason [i think] my throttle response is a bit wooly?
or is this just the way these cars are?
thanks for the above number calling them now!

cheers rob

just called them found out its been done all ready so guess my wooly throttle must be how these cars are then?