PDA

View Full Version : V70R vs Honda Accord 1.8 VTEC

youngteam
Saturday 18th November 2006, 16:07
I've been under the impression that my car is down on power since I bought it, but have been told on numerous occasions by my local Volvo independent that it feels the same as the other T5s and Rs that they service. Anyway, today, whilst overtaking a lorry in a crawler lane, and with my foot firmly welded to the floor, a previous generation Honda Accord 1.8 VTEC kept up with me without a problem.

So either:

a) The Honda Accord 1.8 vtec is as fast as my P1 V70R
b) I've been massively overestimating the performance of T5s/Rs
c) My car is not performing as it should

What do you think?

neevo
Saturday 18th November 2006, 16:17
Where do you live? You need to get together with another T5 driver and compare the two side-by-side as the Honda shouldn't have been able to keep up unless it was modded in some way. Did it sound modded?

S70T5Chris
Saturday 18th November 2006, 16:23
Not in a million years should a 1.8 Accord be able to keep up with you. the 2.2 Type R is around 200bhp, and that shoudn't even be able to keep up with a V70R!

I suspect you have a problem somewhere. If you think it's down on power, then it probably is, because even a standard V70R should put a big grin on anyones face!

youngteam
Saturday 18th November 2006, 16:24
Nope, looked and sounded completely standard.

I'll have to try and find another R locally to have a go in. I'm in Derbyshire if anyone is nearby.

youngteam
Saturday 18th November 2006, 16:25
The weird thing is, sometimes it does. Sometimes when I boot it it feels like it's going to rip the surface off the road and sometimes it's fairly lacklustre.

pzorb
Saturday 18th November 2006, 16:32
At risk of being patronising, for the turbo to do its thing you should be 3k+ rpm. Flooring it in 5th at say 60mph won't be using the turbo much, whilst in 3rd it would be. For the fella in the Vtec, he would have to work the gears well to get the power. If you were doing so too, then something may be up. What does it idle at when you start it up? Should be 700ish. If it's more than this do a search for 'stage 0'.

youngteam
Saturday 18th November 2006, 16:34
Forgot to say, mine is an auto, so I don't have to worry about gears :) It was in Sport at the time.

It seems to idle at about 800 I'd say.

dicky b t5
Saturday 18th November 2006, 17:39
I do believe the Autos idle at 850-900 rpm....Mine does anyway..!!LOL

V70Man
Saturday 18th November 2006, 17:47
Did you notice the Honda coming from behind, or was he directly behind you when you floored it? If he had momentum already it's no comparison.

youngteam
Saturday 18th November 2006, 22:20
He was right behind me. I could tell he was going to try, so thought I'd show him what a V70R could do. Seems I failed :)

Any ideas as to what I should check? I've been meaning to look over all the vacuum hoses for a while, I guess that would be a good place to start?

siamblue
Saturday 18th November 2006, 22:52
I had the same problem except it was a RS Focus on my tail upto 130 kph,

petrolhead
Sunday 19th November 2006, 12:02
Sounds like a similar issue i've had, I think mine might be the boost control solonoid, I've got a boostguage fitted and I know when its going to happen...its usually when i've been pottering around off boost and it just feels lethargic low down and when i floor it the boost builds slowly and peaks at .5 bar. Then it will clear itself and work as usual again for a while boost back to 1.1 bar and builds up pressure quickly.....perhaps its a question for Adam.....

youngteam
Sunday 19th November 2006, 12:32
I think a boost gauge will be my next purchase. It seems to be once mine has fully warmed up that I notice it more, but I think more testing is needed :)