PDA

View Full Version : not the usual bov question

irf
Friday 17th November 2006, 22:17
from what i understand a dump valve is very bad for your cat. what has everyone done regarding this? if you do have a decat pipe where did you get it from?
also, has anyone run without a dump valve at all?
apparently it was a common thing with the cossie boys(so i've heard) and i ran my 200sx like this for a while as well.
i know about the air rushing back(technicals my middle name lol) but from what i've read up to 1.4 bar is fine. makes a sexual sound as well:biggrin:

BlackBeast
Friday 17th November 2006, 22:23
When the bov/dump valve dumps the air out of the boost pipes, this air has already been accounted for which means the fuelling has also been accounted for. So, the engine runs rich for a split second, this fuel has to go somewhere, that means down the downpipe, the first restriction in the exhaust will be the CAT. No idea if it would wreck a CAT though.

Is it really worth risking not running some sort of valve? If you have spare cash laying around for a rebuild, then you can justify £100 on a dump valve/bov.

thunderace
Friday 17th November 2006, 23:04
running rich will kill off a cat quicker, so i guess this would have an effect

totally unlike this...http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1534821.html :)

T5ER
Friday 17th November 2006, 23:37
ask judge ninja he has the standard volvo recirc valce and a dump valve??????? at trax 06 you could here the dump valve as he went up and down the box o my guess is as per JN answer maybe the standard volvo re-circ is not upto the job for getting rid of all the back pressure ??????

the choice is yours.?????????????????????

some people on here are in favour some against

search is your freind on this topic

paullus
Saturday 18th November 2006, 15:18
While I was at Chip Tuning on Thursday I listened to Hamish logically explain why a dump valve on a MAF controlled engine is a completely useless bit of kit except for the noise it makes. He made complete sense to me an ex-bolt on go faster gadget fanatic.
Maybe you should get in touch with VT.
Hamish if you read this maybe you could explain again why you're in favour of the standard recirc valve.