PDA

View Full Version : RICA Upgrade done

paullus
Friday 17th November 2006, 19:08
I went to VT, Bromsgrove yesterday for the RICA 235 BHP upgrade on my 2.5T LPT. As arranged I met Wooty there who was having the RICA 304 BHP. We were made very welcome by Adam, Hamish, the girls and Merc. Adam and Hamish are two straight talking knowledgeable guys.
My upgrade went without a hitch. The main reason for this is the engine is low mileage (57K) bog standard and recently serviced.
Boy what a difference the upgrade made. I drove the 850 T5 when it first came out and regularly drive a V70 T5 at work. I hadn't had my S70 LPT for long before I realised it was tame compared to it's beefier brothers. However in the space of 90 minutes my sedate family saloon had been transformed into a rip snorting T5! The first time I kicked it down on the M5 with the gearbox in E mode I nearly choked on my ears my grin was so wide!
So yeah it's now a fast car but remarkably it does appear to be more economical. I went up to Wakefield last night, a 160 mile round trip up the M1 which in parts has some quite long steep hilly stretches. I had my better half with me and I fuelled up in Wakefield and I also had 5 Columba wheels and tyres on board which is the reason I'd ventured up there to buy them. On the return leg I stuck the cruise on at 72MPH and let it go. At that speed and with the light traffic I only had to use the brakes about three times. I checked the trip computer as I joined the A38 to Derby and it was reading 34.2 MPG. The best I'd seen up until then on cruise control was 29.9 MPG. So the RICA does improve economy too which lessens the impact of having to buy the more expensive Super fuels required after the upgrade..
All in all the car is now nicer to drive with no apparent negatives.
Just a couple of points to note:
Hamish is quite scathing of dump valves and other bolt on widgets that claim to work wonders. If you've got one fitted make sure it's working and be prepared for a detailed and forthright discussion on why they are not required on a MAF controlled engine. (Anyone want to buy the ECOTEK valve I have in my drawer)
Make sure your vacuum and turbo hoses are in good nick with no power sapping splits because it could mean the added time and expense of replacement before the upgrade can be done.
Don't wear decent shoes because Merc the Collie dog will expect you to boot his ball around the yard and like all good Collies he doesn't get fed up with the game!
If you navigate to Chip Tuning by TomTom satnav navigating by post code may take you to Sanders Road. Make sure you head for Factory Lane which is nearby.
All in all I consider my money thoroughly well spent.
Thanks to everyone and Merc at VT

Wobbly Dave
Friday 17th November 2006, 20:36
Our meeting was brief - you have a nice car!

paullus
Friday 17th November 2006, 20:41
Hi Dave.
Thanks for that, so do you.
Sorry I couldn't stay but with the problems on the A38 I wanted to get away.
What did you have in your boot?
What was the stuff you sprayed on your car?
You know it's great to put faces to names, it was great to meet so many "Names"
Cheers.

Wobbly Dave
Friday 17th November 2006, 20:44
Just a bit of quick detailer

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/shop/detailing-sprays/synthetic-quick-detailer/p_146.html

I use it as a clay lubricant and for spritz cleaning

The rest of the stuff was this lot...

http://www.bigredvolvos.co.uk/galleries/july_2006_CYC.htm

Jaseb77
Friday 17th November 2006, 20:59
Hope you enjoy your new found love for yur Volvo

I still get a grin with my Rica 310
bit scary in the wet though

paullus
Saturday 18th November 2006, 18:40
Thanks for that.
However I've always loved my car but now I'm infatuated!
It's got leather and rubber and it whips the ass off lesser models!
Is it abnormal to want to sleep in it?
You guys with RICA 300+ must be seriously hardcore and into all sorts of..........

OOPS! Oh hello dear, no really as I said before I bought it, Volvos are for men who wear flat caps, slippers and smoke pipes. They're not very desirable. They're very steady and not fast at all!
Would I lie to you? OH PLEASE you just don't understand me at all do you?
:troutslap

wootty
Saturday 18th November 2006, 19:37
after some new plugs and actuator adjustment and boost gauge hose refitting etc all is well with my 300.couldnt find any decent gas on the way home till M25 then i let it rip,made a new bmw 330d look stupid.hamish tells it like it is but it was all sorted(eventually).4 road tests i think.

abdul
Saturday 18th November 2006, 19:38
enjoy the new car

paullus
Saturday 18th November 2006, 20:01
Nice one mate.
Glad you got it sorted and home safe if not early.
Cam pulley cover is on and looks great, thanks for that.
Check your PM's.
All the best.

Nathlm
Sunday 19th November 2006, 00:48
Great to hear you are enjoying the upgrade - feel free anytime to come and play with Mirk!!

Nat xx

wootty
Sunday 19th November 2006, 18:25
he owes me a new pair of trainers:biggrin:
btw gary ive got your throttle housing cover on.