PDA

View Full Version : Rica upgrade - opinions

GUMBALL
Saturday 16th April 2005, 08:42
Hi guys,

Finally found myself a T5 (S60) in the spec I was after and am now wanting a Rica upgrade (we ALWAYS want more power don't we!).

As far as I can tell there are no negatives about the stage 1 (310hp) upgrade (apart from having to part with cash of course!)...

More power and torque
Improved fuel economy
Undetectable by dealer (for waranty) or insurance (although I wouldn't suggest that sort of thing! :sinner: )
Oh, and battering :riceboy:

Are there any negatives???
Driveability?
Low end power loss?
Mid range power loss?

There must be a fair amount of you on here that have had it done - what are your thoughts??

I probably know the answers already, but am looking for reassurance and will 99% go ahead with the upgrade anyway!

Thanks in advance.

Sean

pault5
Saturday 16th April 2005, 10:03
Just get it done. you will not regret it :B_steerin :B_thumb:

Andrew
Saturday 16th April 2005, 10:07
Just get it done. you will not regret it :B_steerin :B_thumb:

I think most people will happily recommend the RICA. My Fuel econemy hasn't improved or if it has I've not noticed. The only negative side I've found is £££ the cost of filling up with 97/98RON petrol adds up. I think it works out 1.50 a tank but given the fact your never going to be out of your car after the RICA those extra refills and the extra money add up :)

mikej
Saturday 16th April 2005, 10:46
Its a must in any T5. I,ve had several and thought they were quick untill i had a rica upgrade now thats quick,not noticed any improvement in mpg but like already stated thats because your never out of car! GO GET IT :B_steerin
regards
mike....

Mrsmopp
Saturday 16th April 2005, 11:26
Its a must! And believe it or not the 98 ron doesn't end up costing you anymore as it always goes that little bit further I find.

The drivabilty of your car will be changed dramaticly......For the better!!

The best modification by far!

x

jim.covers
Saturday 16th April 2005, 11:38
Sean,

I had my S60 done on wednesday... havent put her down since :B_steerin

Only downside upto now.... the weather... its not stopped rainin.

She was quick b4 but now... hehehe.

I'm well chuffed.

Jim.

JUDGENINJA
Sunday 17th April 2005, 21:24
If you have a quick look throught the Avon Park threads for 2nd April 2005 I was lucky enough to borrow a RICA unit from Adam (chiptuning) so I managed to get Standard and modified times. It was the second time of borrowing it and the first time I wasn't convinced. At the time I had only owned my car for about 2-3months so I didn't really know the difference....
The second time was different...
I won't bore you here but if I had £600 available I'd definately get it done...If there are any down sides I'm sure you won't mind too much

GUMBALL
Sunday 17th April 2005, 21:25
Thanks guys,

Just what I expected to hear (and wanted to hear!).

I'll book the car in some time over the next couple of weeks.

Sean

After_Shock
Sunday 17th April 2005, 21:59
Im a bit late on this one but get it done! Cars is sssooo much more responsive both on and off boost and I saw on average 3-4mpg better.

swordy21
Monday 18th April 2005, 17:33
Just had mine done last friday. All I can say is:-

Get it done!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The car is much faster and more responsive. Yes you do have to watch the tail ends of cars in front of you, but thats part of the fun.

I have also found that from a driveability POV this is improved as well, especially with an auto box, as it doesn't have to change down all the time when accelerating, it just pulls immediately.

Fuel economy is much the same so far - still waiting for the map to settle down, but I found I was getting disproportionately more MPG out of 97/98 RON than 95RON, (20 - 24MPG with 95 to 28 - 30 MPG with 97/98. Indeed even got 34 MPG on last tank of Optimax, and nearly 440 miles to a tank.) So all in all worth using the high fat fuel. Slight problem tho with the RICA, you are just that bit more inclined to boot it.............................

Go on you know you want to. :B_steerin

Wobbly Dave
Monday 18th April 2005, 23:26
Initially the MPG goes down for most - as they are out having more fun than is good for 'em!!

Auto doesn't need sport mode at all on the earlier models. Manuals also don't need to drop down to get going.

I am blessed being situated 1/4 mile from a Shell station.

I was out with J and Guy (down the pub) earlier - on diet coke I might add. On the drive home put the car through some twisty bits and the power is so immediate and the new suspension is sooo flat. I wasnt on boost that much to be fair and it still brings a smile to my face.
God I love that car!